Talk

Advanced search

To not want to buy or send back the £5.95 cards I received in the post which I never ordered.

(17 Posts)
MilaMae Thu 22-Oct-09 12:35:08

Just received a pack of cards from The Mouth and Foot Painting Artists company(don't think it's a charity).

With it is an order form with this pack on it. It says you are under no obligation to buy but does that mean I have to send them back or face a charge?

Very cross as if a pensioner was to receive such an overpriced pack I'm sure they'd worry and just send a cheque even though they didn't really want them.

How does one stand legally with this this,if I never requested them surely I don't have to spend money on postage to send them back?

TIA

DuelingFANGo Thu 22-Oct-09 12:36:51

How can they prove that you ever received them eh? I would say just bin them and tell them to sod off of they ever contact you! Was it personally addressed to you or just to the occupier?

MilaMae Thu 22-Oct-09 12:38:12

It's got my name on. I've no idea how they got my address as I always tick boxes to say I don't want junk mail.

ninedragons Thu 22-Oct-09 12:39:03

I don't think you have to pay for anything unsolicited.

Bin them. If you're really fired up, write them a letter about how unethical they're being. As you say, I am sure a lot of nervous people send them a cheque in case the police come knocking.

chickydee Thu 22-Oct-09 12:43:30

I believe, and i could be wrong, but if you get products through your post box that you neither ordered nor requested, then they are lagally your property and you can do with them what you wish.
It's shocking tho, forcing things on you.

Glitterknickaz Thu 22-Oct-09 12:47:25

under the unsolicited goods and services act 1971 they would be committing an offence if they chase payment.

Lilymaid Thu 22-Oct-09 12:49:35

This organisation has operated for many years (I can remember cards being sent to my parents back in the 1960s). It isn't a charity as any profits are distributed amongst the artists. As they are unsolicited you can throw the cards away.

MilaMae Thu 22-Oct-09 12:53:54

Thanks for the info,many thanks all smile

biggirlsdontcry Thu 22-Oct-09 13:09:29

milamae , they sent me those cards last year , i also did not know what to do with them , the cards got shoved in a press & got forgotten about blush but i never heard from them again , they did not request payment so dont worry yourself about them , smile

diddl Thu 22-Oct-09 13:14:06

They can´t force you to pay as you haven´t ordered.

But I wouldn´t bin the cards,I´d rather give away or to charity, tbh.

BarakObamasTransitVan Thu 22-Oct-09 13:27:20

Blimey - weren't these on That's Life or Watchdog or something, decades ago? Retro consumer issues!

thelunar66 Thu 22-Oct-09 13:30:00

They did this to me a couple of years ago. They did not chase me for the money and I gave the cards, unopened, to a charity shop to sell on.

LynetteScavo Thu 22-Oct-09 13:31:20

I got some and binned them....end of.

They werent ggod quality anyway, so they haven't lost much money. I think they jsut send them out hoping some people will send them some money.

More fool them.

idlingabout Thu 22-Oct-09 18:02:30

Alternatively, you could stick them in an old envelope - write on their address - and stick in the post without a stamp. They have to then pay the postage and might think twice about bothering you again.

AllFallDown Thu 22-Oct-09 18:30:37

However, OP, no need to assume that if a pensioner gets them they'll be befuddled and intimidated into paying. Stupidity is the prerogative of the stupid, not the old. One can reach retirement age without losing one's marbles.

SalopianGirl Fri 23-Oct-09 17:02:09

Blimey I got these cards in the post today!

Thought maybe there was a pre-paid envelope I could return them in as I already have zillions of Xmas cards left over from last year!
All I could find was the small standard size envelope for sending payment in.

Oh well I suppose DD could cut them up & make some sort of collage out of them smile

niftyfifty Fri 23-Oct-09 17:17:09

I got these yesterday too - it's the guilt thing that gets me though. I don't want them, they're not 'me' at all and I wouldn't send them, but I feel really guilty for the people that put all the time and effort in if I don't buy them! I suppose that's partly what they rely on though ...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now