Talk

Advanced search

to agree it is not for BBC to censor BNP

(10 Posts)
babybarrister Thu 22-Oct-09 07:58:07

hasn't he got to go on Question Time, no matter how vile he is?

Tombliboobs Thu 22-Oct-09 08:10:20

I have mixed feelings about it, but ultimately I am coming down more on the side of allowing him on so that he will have to defend his 'policies' to intelligent, rational human beings.

I hope that he will not come across well, that he will not withstand the challenge of an intelligent debate and that the other guests and audience will eat him live,

I am worried about giving his hateful opinions air time however sad

Sbeanmum Thu 22-Oct-09 08:14:35

Agree he's a hateful man but people voted for him! YANBU - they must remain impartial. I wouldn't vote for him or his party but about 1 million people did and I guess all/most of them pay a TV licence fee.

fernie3 Thu 22-Oct-09 08:34:19

YANBU he is an idiot appearing on TV will show people what he is really like and hopefully stop people voting for him

TheBlairSnitchProject Thu 22-Oct-09 08:35:04

Given past apprearances on TV, I should think it's a pretty safe bet that they will come out looking like the idiots they are.

Actually quite tempted to watch just to see it happen.

hazeyjane Thu 22-Oct-09 08:37:24

I think it would do more harm to ban him now (turning him into a folk hero/martyr), but I don't think they should have had him on in the first place.

WurzelBoot Thu 22-Oct-09 08:56:22

I'm with hazeyjane; I don't want there to be confusion about whether this man is the oppressor or the oppressed. I like the idea of saying to him "OK speak, then the public can agree with you or not". I suspect the majority of free-thinking people would be of the 'not' school.

Question Time is a better forum than a party political broadcast because there will be people there to say "no you are wrong!" on each point.

It does trouble me that there might be people at home nodding as he talks saying "he makes a good point" but the whole point of a democracy is that they get to make that choice.

What bothers me far more is that the other parties have each got themselves into such a state that the alternatives aren't as appealing as they once have been. If there was an easy alternative choice this wouldn't be such a big deal.

thesecondcoming Thu 22-Oct-09 08:57:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

alwayslookingforanswers Thu 22-Oct-09 08:57:43

are the BNP voters (you know the ones that "fink dey talk sense" the sort to watch question time though to nod along in agreement ??? grin

hazeyjane Thu 22-Oct-09 09:03:03

Sadly I think just the fact that he is on there gives credence to their ideas, and a boost to their supporters.

I think what Ken Livingstone said on the subject this morning was spot on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now