Talk

Advanced search

to think paying 230 quid on a desinger clothes for a baby is nuts!!!

(18 Posts)
mummysgoingmad Thu 22-Oct-09 01:26:16

my next door neighbour has bought her son d&g jeans, t-shirt and trainers for his 1st bday..is it me or is it totaly insane to spend that much on three items of clothing for a baby!! he'l be out of them in a matter of weeks!!

WeeMo85 Thu 22-Oct-09 01:35:58

It's mental

Wots wrong with primark and george at asda?

Especially at that age.

My ds is now 7 and i still refuse point blank to fork out silly amounts of cash for clothes that he will grow out of or ruin.

I think the most i've ever spent on an item of clothing for ds was £40 and that was his coat for school.

People like your neighbour have more money than sense!!

beaniesinthepumpkinagain Thu 22-Oct-09 01:36:21

shock

YANBU

each to there own etc, but thats alot for a child who wont know any difference!

I was kinda embarassed i spent £50 on ds coat from ted baker, but i feel thats cheap now lol!

nappyaddict Thu 22-Oct-09 01:51:23

YANBU to think it - everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

However maybe £230 isn't a lot of money to them. Or maybe they are going to keep them after he is grown out of them as keepsakes - like you do with the things they get for their birth and christening.

If they can afford it then it's up to them what they spend their money on at the end of the day.

benjysmum Thu 22-Oct-09 01:54:03

hilarious, not only will the kid not notice, he'll also puke, crap and wee in it like any other kid and then will proceed to grow out of it in about 4 weeks. Unless she's won the lottery (in which case she could consider donating some money to charity) she'll have a hard time keeping this up!

LetThereBeRock Thu 22-Oct-09 02:20:35

YANBU.

mylovelymonster Thu 22-Oct-09 05:08:45

Bloody ridiculous - even if they are loaded, which I suspect they may not be.

tinkerbellesmuse Thu 22-Oct-09 06:07:48

YANBU to think she is nuts

...but neither is she BU/nuts to buy the clothes

kidcreoleandthecoconuts Thu 22-Oct-09 07:29:01

It's up to her what she spends her money on.

pigletmania Thu 22-Oct-09 08:25:28

Your neighbour will realise this when the baby outgrows them in weeks or that the d&G jeans, t shirt dont look good with sick, poo or food on them. When i was pregnant with my only child dd I went into TKMaxx and bought her a baby Dior jumper, trousers, Ralph Lauren baby suit and top and these all got ruined in a matter of seconds and she outgrew, so its off to Tesco, Asda or Debenhamns.

LisaD1 Thu 22-Oct-09 08:32:52

I don't think YABU to think she's nuts but at the same time she can spend her money on whatever clothes she wants! I have never bought designer clothes for either of my children, think it's a waste of money, but I know a few people that would never buy from Primark! My brother ALWAYS buys my girls designer stuff and I tell him every time that it's a waste of money but as he likes to point out, his money, his choice!

fernie3 Thu 22-Oct-09 08:40:56

I would not do that (rather spend it on something more interesting!) but if she wants to then its up to her perhaps its something shes always wanted to do and in that case its more for her than the baby.

ApplesinmyPocket Thu 22-Oct-09 08:46:48

It is a bit mad but it will probably give her pleasure. Probably just going to the shop and buying them gave her pleasure, as will seeing him in them on the (few) times he will wear them. Yes it's daft but it's not for us to say what should or shouldn't be someone else's source of fun!

I was a bit guilty of this with DD2 - had more money then than I have now but a less happy life - it gave me enormous pleasure in my rather miserable existence to buy my baby clothes I loved, practical or not. I remember one thing in particular - a tiny denim jacket trimmed with white broderie anglais - it cost £60, an enormous sum in those days - and she grew out of it very quickly. But you know what? I still smile when I see photographs of her in it.

Mostly I approve of clothes for babies and small children being soft, washable, easy for the baby to move in, easy to be got on and off for frequent changes, and good value for money - but come on! This is one outfit and it's for a special occasion.

YABU. Make sure to smile and say how absolutely lovely and adorable he looks in it.

sarah293 Thu 22-Oct-09 08:49:29

Message withdrawn

mylovelymonster Thu 22-Oct-09 08:56:57

It's a logo, FGS. £230 for advertising a logo. There are lots of lovely clothes out there which are adorable and comfy and practicle - she could buy something gorgeous for a tenth of that cost if she had a brain.
(I apologise, but I feel strongly, and I haven't slept much....)

mummysgoingmad Thu 22-Oct-09 22:03:22

ok fair enought its her money and she can do what she likes with it but shes by no means loaded the opposite infact!! surely putting that money into a saving account for her ds would have been more sensible!!??

piscesmoon Thu 22-Oct-09 22:18:24

I think it mad-but if she wants to waste her money it is up to her!

mylovelymonster Fri 23-Oct-09 23:32:33

<<bangs head against wall with 'what is the world coming to' sort of emotion>>

It's £230!! She should be locked up in a looney bin.
grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now