Talk

Advanced search

To want DH to tell his work why he's leaving...POLL!

(14 Posts)
FlamingoBingo Wed 21-Oct-09 22:40:36

We can't decide.

I'm desperate for him to say in his letter "my position has been made untenable" because they've been such arses to him, but I kind of think maybe a more dignified and simple "I'm leaving" would cause more of a sting.

Place your vote!

TrillianSlasher Wed 21-Oct-09 22:42:07

Because I've been offered another position (and they're not such arsewipes).

itsmeolord Wed 21-Oct-09 22:43:57

You just need a couple of sentances.

Dear x,

I am leaving,

signed y

Or, even better,

Dear x,

I am writing to let you know that I have won the lottery and need never work again. Hence I am leaving.
Please forward any personal possesions from my locker/desk to my hotel in the Maldives. The address is below.

Best wishes,

Y

crokky Wed 21-Oct-09 22:44:48

Never burn your bridges.

I was in a job for 3 years where I was treated really badly - there were plenty of people at the same level as me and I was always given the worst jobs. I didn't make a fuss so they just heaped more on me. They got what they deserved when I resigned!

Anyway, I kept totally dignified and said I'm leaving and thanks for everything that I have learnt whilst working here.

The sting will be him leaving - anything written in a resignation letter that is barbed will not cause any real incremental sting. Plus, you have to keep the door open if you need reference/things change and you need that job back etc.

choosyfloosy Wed 21-Oct-09 22:53:14

NO, don't put it in the letter. never never never.

ConnieComplaint Wed 21-Oct-09 23:15:22

Nope, don't put that in a letter.

A girl I worked with left our place & told everyone she couldn't stick it, said if she had to stay one more day she would slit her wrists etc...

She left, better paid job etc.

We heard she was unhappy there - a position came up in one of our branch offices.....

I heard she started there on Monday hmm

scottishmummy Wed 21-Oct-09 23:30:12

leave on cordial note.neutral and pleasant
never know when you may need someone again eg reference

jasper Wed 21-Oct-09 23:41:12

NEVER put barbed stuff in a resignation letter

mylovelymonster Wed 21-Oct-09 23:47:11

No - never burn your employment bridges. It will only reflect badly on him, sadly.
I know many a person who has politely declined HR exit interviews even, to avoid saying something they may regret in the future.

GrimmaTheNome Wed 21-Oct-09 23:56:59

Best not - apart from what the others have said, your DH may come across current colleagues/bosses in later jobs. Or they may be networked to other prospective employers.

My own DH couldn't stand his management any more, left politely for a better job, unfortunately then had health problems, but has wound up being taken on as a consultant by his former non-asshole underling. If he'd said all he thought when he left that couldn't have happened.

Quattrocento Thu 22-Oct-09 00:13:49

It's a ridiculously small world - don't do it

A colleague of mine resigned and took the opportunity to complain about his boss, the working environment, everything really. Did him no favours. When he was made redundant ffrom his new firm (due to the squeeze - he was good at his job) the old firm wouldn't touch him with a bargepole. Nor did the three employees who had left the old firm and joined a third firm....

Discretion is the better part of valour, really.

FlamingoBingo Thu 22-Oct-09 06:50:30

Ok thank you all! DH and I both agree from your arguments. Going to be dignified.

gingernutlover Thu 22-Oct-09 07:14:55

i agree much better to just sate the facts

Dear sir, I am leaving, my last day will be ..... yours sincerely .....

PoisonToadstool Thu 22-Oct-09 07:23:21

Yep, just keep it as simple as possible.

I left my job of 5 years recently and my resignation just said: Please consider this email to be my notice of resignation, my last day will be XXX'

And there was a certain amount of satisfaction in watching a few people squirm with questions - why is she leaving, has she got another job, ha ha ha! It was only on my last day that anyone had the guts to ask.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now