Talk

Advanced search

to ban my parents from my Facebook profile?

(16 Posts)
yesiknowabouttheredrug Wed 21-Oct-09 21:56:03

They are both refusing to talk to me because I've put them on Limited Profile so they can't see my facebook profile.

They posted ALL THE TIME and we don't even GET ON IRL.

AIBU? They are REALLY UPSET but I was so annoyed with every Facebook Alert being 'Your Mum has commented on...'

mamayaya Wed 21-Oct-09 21:59:27

I unfriended my mum after she started commenting on all my photos and once when I put in my status that my dd had been sick commented underneath "well thanks for telling me I can't believe you haven't rung me" .. at which point I decided it wasn't worth it.

Just tell them you need some private life! My mum got over it in the end! smile

NanaNina Wed 21-Oct-09 23:06:42

I don't think parents should expect to be on their grown up kids facebook pages. My sons and dils are on FB and sometimes they show me things on the others FB pages and I would quite like to see some of the photos especially of the GC BUT I still think it's intrusive for a parent to have access to their FB pages.

I noticed on one of my friend's FB page that her son had written "get off my FB page" and I could sympathise. I have women friends who agree with me that they don't expect to be on their FB pages.

Astrid28 Wed 21-Oct-09 23:41:43

I see it all the time, peoples Mums having to comment on every status, no matter how pointless the comment.

YANBU.

electra Wed 21-Oct-09 23:55:41

No YANBU you are entitled to a life not stalked by your parents!

My mum isn't even on my facebook list, I said NO WAY! grin

Bleatblurt Thu 22-Oct-09 00:11:59

This is why I have two facebook accounts. My family are on one and everyone else on the other. grin

beaniesinthepumpkinagain Thu 22-Oct-09 00:21:10

my mums my friend on fb

BUT

she only has internet access at my house when she babysits, which is 3 x a year!!!grin

salbysea Thu 22-Oct-09 00:30:33

it is a bit cringey when friends have their mums as friends and they comment on everything! especially things aimed at other people like "have a great birthday tomorrow! hope your friends organize a nice night out for you unlike last year!!"

also when they do wall posts that read more like private phone chats - CRINGE

- I dunno how they put up with it! I would DELETE!

lou33 Thu 22-Oct-09 00:34:23

the only relatives i allow on my fb are ones i dont see that much

i wouldnt have close family, d1 is not on my fb, i dont blame you for not wanting them on there tbh

Ivykaty44 Thu 22-Oct-09 00:36:34

I think parents should be banned form fb altogether wink Anyone that is a parent should have their profile deleted..

salbysea Thu 22-Oct-09 11:38:08

actually YwouldNBU if you just deleted them
but YABU by doing restricted profile, its a bit 'I still wanna have a nose on your profile but dont want you to see mine' -ish

LittleOneMum Thu 22-Oct-09 11:41:24

I have said 'no' to friend requests from my Mum, her husband and also my cousin as I have no interest in them seeing my profile/photos/status updates etc. I have said yes to my sister, but only because we get on really well.

Your FB, your choice. I think Mums on facebook is weird, tbh

ginnny Thu 22-Oct-09 11:43:26

My Mum is on mine but she hardly ever uses FB anyway and when she does she only posts nice things.
DP is on his DD's Facebook, and after he commented on a pic of her drinking wine out of a bottle shock at a party she deleted him!!
He has been allowed back on limited profile and that winds him up more than when he was deleted.

hanaflower Thu 22-Oct-09 11:44:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ixia Thu 22-Oct-09 11:49:03

YANBU - I invited my mil just so she could keep see DD's photos as we don't live locally. OMG, what a disaster, we get on quite well, but she was constantly adding inane comments to my photos (even ones that didn't concern her). Everytime I logged on she was there on the chat function sending me messages, I sometimes ignored her if I was busy and she got so paranoid about it. I've blocked her from the chat function, but can't take her off as a friend as she'll get so offended

I sorted out my mum a FB account again so she could see pics of DD. But now she keeps ringing me, telling me of various random people inviting her and other stuff....I'm not sure she's safe on fb hmm

Mums and mum-in-laws should be banned I think, oh and I've got a friend whose fil makes really inappropriate comments on her wall -lol.

SmallSCREAMCap Thu 22-Oct-09 12:01:54

Oh I feel your pain. My mum comments on everything I do on Facebook. "SmallScrewCap has had chicken for dinner" - Mum: "Oh well done sweetheart, that sounds lovely xxxxxxxxx"

I am in my mid-30s. grin

I think some people enjoy this new form of public display of affection, tbh, and are reassured by the thought that everyone watching thinks we are all having a lovely time and are such a close and caring family hmm

I don't think I would de-friend, though, as I don't like the idea that I am one way with one group of people and another with another, IYSWIM. So instead I just keep things nice and trivial and never mention anything of importance.

DH posted some photos of me cuddling our new DS on the postnatal ward recently (having forgotten my request not to put any of me on there). He was shock at the public outpourings of woe and emotion from my family and royally embarrassed. Lesson learned I think...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now