Talk

Advanced search

Thinking that if the nosy old hag of a lollipop lady cannot keep her opinions and judgements to herself she should get another job?

(28 Posts)
ShinyAndNew Wed 21-Oct-09 16:17:20

Its been going on all year now and it's starting to piss me off. She has clearly decided that I am 'a bad mother' and is sticking to that presumption.

Her 'helpfull' comment today was;

to dd2 'Oh poor dear, do you have to carry your umbrella? Your too little for that. And look your all wet and cold. You should be warm and dry in your buggy'

This was after she had shook her head and tutted at me. Dd2 is 2.5 and had asked to 'Walk. Rella. Sool' We had enough time for her to dawdle walk to school, so I didn't <and still don't see the harm>. It's just water ffs, it's not going to kill her.

Other observations she has voiced inc;

To dd1 when she saw her eating a cereal bar 'Do you have to eat your breakfast on the way to school? Mummy should get up earlier' <She had her her breakfast and wanted to eat a cereal bar on the way to school.

To dd2 when I told her to hurry up one day 'You don't need to hurry, darling. You are only small' <actually yes, she did need to hurry as we were late for an eye appointment dd1 had been waiting weeks for, due to dd2's buggy breaking>

to dd2 again; 'Your feet must be very cold. Doesn't mummy have any shoes for you?' <yes, mummy has nice snuggly boots for her. They were on the top of the buggy because she kept taking them off and throwing them>

Grrrr.

TrillianSlasher Wed 21-Oct-09 16:19:40

Methinks she chose that job specifically so she could make judgey comments at oblivious children.

reikizen Wed 21-Oct-09 16:20:03

Just shows how appearances can fool you. It's interesting to hear your explanations behind what obviously appear to her to be examples of bad parenting! She is very sure of herself isn't she?

justaboutautumn Wed 21-Oct-09 16:20:15

Message withdrawn

choccyp1g Wed 21-Oct-09 16:20:46

Does she do this to everyone ? Since she talks to the children ignoring you, I'd be inclined to do the same, loudly, "Don't listen to the silly old lady dear, it's none of her business"

JustAnotherManicMummy Wed 21-Oct-09 16:21:42

Tell her to fuck off.

IMoveTheStarsForNoOne Wed 21-Oct-09 16:21:55

Tell her to mind her own fecking business.. GRR on your behalf.

YANBU!

JustAnotherManicMummy Wed 21-Oct-09 16:23:30

Or you could try "And that is why you must work hard at school. So you don't end up a nosey old bag"

Stayingscarygirl Wed 21-Oct-09 16:23:34

Ask the school to have a word with her - tell them the sorts of things this woman has been saying. Or you could speak directly to her and ask her to stop making such nasty and judgemental observations about you and your children when she's not in full possession of all the facts. I think I'd do the latter.

ShinyAndNew Wed 21-Oct-09 16:24:35

I haven't heard her say anything to anyone else but I have heard some one say 'Let's cross on the other side so we don't have to listen to that stupid woman'

I might just do that Choccypig, I have been hoping that I would be able to remain calm enough just to do the smile and nod thing. But it would seem not angry

ShinyAndNew Wed 21-Oct-09 16:26:38

Ha Justanothermanicmummy. I like that one. I might try that one grin

posieparker Wed 21-Oct-09 16:27:03

Next time she crosses you without comment, just say "thank you, I don't think I could take any more of your unfounded comments about my parenting today."

KatieScarlett2833 Wed 21-Oct-09 16:28:47

Or start singing the theme tune to the Muppet Show whenever she comes into view.

whoooooisasking Wed 21-Oct-09 16:36:08

I have found a good way to deal with people like this is the following:

Rude Person: "I thought you'd lost weight, but now you've stood up I can see I was wrong"
Me: <MASSIVE SHOCKED FACE>
Me: I beg your pardon?
Rudey: I...was...just, erm, saying...
Me: Well, if I were you, I'd be very careful of how you say things, that sounded RUDE.
Me: <STALKS OFF>

And if this fails, then I agree with the posse at the school gates. wink

PeppermintCream Wed 21-Oct-09 17:06:28

I would smile at the woman, and say "thank you for taking an interest in my lovely children. If you have any questions or concerns, please would you direct them to me. As I'm sure you are aware, there is always a bigger picture." then I would speak very loudly to the children and say "what a nice lady, she couldn't see your boots on the buggy/ didn't know what a big breakfast you had at home etc I'll let her know next time." then tell her to f off under your breath!

PeppermintCream Wed 21-Oct-09 17:07:23

Yanbu by the way.

RainRainGoAway Wed 21-Oct-09 17:10:23

I would speak to her directly, a huge smile on your face and be incredibly nice to the point it makes your teeth itch. Then cheerily sing GOOD MORNING at her.

Nothing passive aggressive people hate more than having someone be passive aggressive back.

Tortington Wed 21-Oct-09 17:11:03

hold up hand and say " not today please"

and repeat.

ShinyAndNew Wed 21-Oct-09 17:14:23

Wooooisasking, I can't believe some one said taht to you. How rude.

kittymax Wed 21-Oct-09 17:21:03

Wow. What an annoying woman. Have you asked any other parents if they get these comments? I'd def wanna sort her out. Maybe you could join in and tell your children what you think of her hairstyle/choice of shoes? Or maybe ask the children whether they think she should consider going on a diet? Personally, I'd ask her what exactly her problem is. And then report her.

Missy8c Wed 21-Oct-09 17:21:57

YANBU. I'm surprised you haven't shoved her lollipop where the sun doesn't shine!!

anonymous85 Wed 21-Oct-09 17:28:10

What a pain in the arse. Sounds a bit like my passive aggressive MIL grin

She's probably a loner and needs to get a life. I bet she is like it to everyone, not just you personally.

Try and call her out on it and defend yourself, or do what that other woman does and cut across the street before you reach her

southeastastra Wed 21-Oct-09 17:31:24

wow i'm going to get that job when i'm a pensioner so i can judge everyone - fun grin

KimiTheThreadSlayingAxeKiller Wed 21-Oct-09 17:36:43

I'm gonna go get that job now grin

hanaboo Wed 21-Oct-09 17:37:35

i like whooooooo's idea grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now