Talk

Advanced search

to have said no to my mum

(25 Posts)
ARRRRRRHGGGGHHHHHH Wed 21-Oct-09 10:50:01

Mum called this morning to see how DS is (he has just come out of hospital)

when I said he was doing well she started talking about my carpet cleaner, how it worked and so on. Then she mentioned that it would be great if she could borrow it some time, then we got to "because the sitting room is being decorated it would be good to do it before the furniture goes back in"
Great, yes good idea
so Did I fancy a drive out to take it to her.
Uh, no, DS needs to be resting at home still, how about in a couple of days time,
No it has to be today or never because she is going away tomorrow and when she comes back she can't have another day with the house in such a mess..

Oh well, maybe another time,

no it won't be another time will it because once the furniture is back in she won't be moving it again - am I sure I won't get in the car and drive it to her (40 minute journey each way)

So she went off the phone in a strop.

Am now sitting here feeling guilty, I don't suppose it would hurt DS to be in the car, I guess her lack of flexibility just made me cross.

Scootergrrrl Wed 21-Oct-09 10:50:41

Can't she come and get it?

2shoescreepingthroughblood Wed 21-Oct-09 10:50:57

yanbu

TrillianSlasher Wed 21-Oct-09 10:51:30

If she needed to borrow it today and only today she should have thought of that in advance. I assume she doesn't drive?

ARRRRRRHGGGGHHHHHH Wed 21-Oct-09 10:51:40

no apparently she can't because she has "tradesmen in the house" and doesn't trust them

ArghhhhmazingBouncingSpider Wed 21-Oct-09 10:51:50

Yanbu if she wants it that desperately and presuming she cant drive she could arrange someone else to collect it from you for her.

puddock Wed 21-Oct-09 10:52:40

YANBU. Your DS's recovery matters more than her carpets. Put it from your mind.

Jujubean77 Wed 21-Oct-09 10:54:15

please let your DS recover in peace. She sounds v selfish tbh

thedollshouse Wed 21-Oct-09 10:54:21

What a selfish unreasonable old woman! hmm

Agree with puddock. Don't give her a moments thought.

ARRRRRRHGGGGHHHHHH Wed 21-Oct-09 10:57:13

Ok so I should put the kettle on and read another story with DS and ignore it??

I have been trying to think of ways of getting it to her but they all involve me getting DS wrapped up and in the car.....

CarGirl Wed 21-Oct-09 10:58:11

sad strange priorities.......

from your Mum btw

sdr Wed 21-Oct-09 11:06:22

YANBU. Have found that when people retire they get so inflexible! They'll get set on one thing that needs do no matter what or how much inconvenience it causes other people. What she should be doing today is coming to yours, spending an hour entertaining DS and returning with the carpet cleaner. My parents and in-laws get like that, it drives us mad.

Don't even consider taking it over, but enjoy having your DS back home safe with you. Hope he's ok.

WhereYouLeftIt Wed 21-Oct-09 11:16:22

DS, carpets ... DS, carpets ... DS, carpets ... no, however long I weigh them, your DS takes precedence every time. YANBU, your mum is.

ARRRRRRHGGGGHHHHHH Wed 21-Oct-09 11:18:48

smile thank you, will try to not fester about it..

Stigaloid Wed 21-Oct-09 11:29:33

YANBU - It is her own fault for not thinking ahead and you have far more important priorities with your DS, who i hope gets better soon. She can always go to homebase or B&Q today and rent a carpet cleaner herself.

diddl Wed 21-Oct-09 11:45:08

She could have it collected by taxi if it´s that important!

LittleOneMum Wed 21-Oct-09 11:47:17

Absolutely. Do. Not. Get. Into. The. Car!

Hullygully Wed 21-Oct-09 11:48:03

Absolutely barking. Put it in a taxi and she can pay at the other end if it's so life and death.

OrmIrian Wed 21-Oct-09 11:50:46

Ridiculous woman!

yanbu.

girlsyearapart Wed 21-Oct-09 11:57:12

YANBU. Hope your DS is feeling better.

(currently laughing at the mental image of my taxi driver DH doing a job involving the delivery of a bottle of carpet cleaner.grin)

upahill Wed 21-Oct-09 12:20:38

Was going to say what Diddl and Hullygully said.
Just ring up and say 'You know that carpet cleaner, why don't you ring .....taxis and send them round !I'm struggling to get out at mo. I'll get back off you next week'

Job done!

anonymous85 Wed 21-Oct-09 13:49:37

Be strong, it's not all about her hmm

Mmmcoffee Wed 21-Oct-09 14:04:06

White lies are a wonderful thing. Ring her back and say "It's a good thing we didn't come over, I just rang the hospital to check and they said to keep DS wrapped up warm at home for a couple of days."

And stop feeling guilty. If her carpets are that bad she can go to the local dry cleaners and rent a bloody carpet cleaner.

ByThePowerOfGreyskull Wed 21-Oct-09 18:21:33

mums hey!

Marioandluigi Wed 21-Oct-09 19:09:02

YANBU

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now