Talk

Advanced search

to feel really ashamed to be part of Bristol............

(14 Posts)
posieparker Tue 20-Oct-09 10:40:20

because of this article about countless racist attacks in Southmead

vanimal Tue 20-Oct-09 11:12:58

I saw this programme and am not really sure it was a true representation of the people living in that area specifically.

The programme focussed on the actions of a bunch of teenage yobs, standing on street corners, and I wonder if they would have been just as vile to and old (white) lady walking past as they were to the undercover reporter.

It would have been more balanced to see the actions of the wider community there, to see if the racism was as widespread outside the local teenage community.

Being called a p--- or worse by an adult (as I have been many a time) would have been far more telling IMHO.

TheArmadillo Tue 20-Oct-09 11:19:36

I was shocked by that but it is only representative of a small part of bristolians.

However racism is alive and kicking in this part of the country (as I suspect is repeateded all over the uk) by a small minority. YOu only have to read the comments on the evening post/this is bristol site to realise.

There was a story about a travellor woman going to prison (for 3 hours) as she refused to testify against her appallingly abusive partner through fear. The consensus on the comments was that she deserved the beatings as she was a travellor shock

But I do refuse to believe that these opinions are held by the majority of bristolians as the majority I've met and know are not like that. And there are people like that everywhere (hence the BNP).

I am not ashamed to be bristolian but I am ashamed of those who espouse this views whereever they come from.

posieparker Tue 20-Oct-09 11:20:54

I only saw it on the News this morning and was horrified.

pruneplus2 Tue 20-Oct-09 11:22:44

Got to wonder where the children are getting their derogatory comments from though.

Southmead is pretty much well known for its inhabitants intolerance of anyone not born and bred in the area.

branflake81 Tue 20-Oct-09 11:24:06

I watched this night and was horrified. I must be truly naive as I did not know racism like that existed (and my DP is Asian and said that he too had not experienced anything like that). it made me ashamed to be British.

vanimal Tue 20-Oct-09 11:27:07

I agree that racism is prevalent everywhere - I have never been to Bristol, but experienced lots of it growing up in multicultural London.

It was appalling to see what that poor woman was going through living in Southmead though, and I was also v shocked at the age of some of the perpetrators - an 11 year old threatening to slit her throat shock

BobbingForPeachys Tue 20-Oct-09 11:32:26

I agree it is everywhere (I'm not in Bristol but close by,and Dh worked close to Cribbs until May). However, DH did encounter a lot of racism whilst working where he did over the years, he's white and was just expected to join in- he didn't BTW. It might be the industry he was in, not the friendliest, but some of the stuff directed at a Polish guy and some toher workers was awfuland although they got to taken to court over it they got away after what DH described as 'telling a pack of lies'.

I don't know that i'd be ashamed of Bristol, but DH was deeply ashamed of where he worked.

Emprexia Tue 20-Oct-09 12:21:49

Its not just Asians.. some people down there abuse anyone who just isnt the same as them.

I've a couple of good friends who live down there who're both very Gothic in their style of dress.. he has long hair and a beard, she has dreadlocks...etc

He's always getting picked on and abused.. thing is, he fights back.. he actually ended up chasing a group of idiots away from his last house with a brick after they broke a load of stuff and threw the brick at him.

MaggieBehaveOutGuising Tue 20-Oct-09 12:42:49

BobbingForPeachys Tue 20-Oct-09 12:44:54

You know, I love a lot about the SW- it's where I come from,where my people are etc etc.

But absolutely there are issues down there with just enough for people for it to be an issue. The majority are fine of course, but whether it's a lack of exposure or what I don't know.

My good friend (Indian) emigrated becuase of the abuse she and her family (father white British, two mixed race children)- and I left becuase of a wish to study a relevant area because I worked for a charity and none of our volunteers would work with non white people; even one staff member refused but I hold nothing but deepest contempt for them (and they weren't emlpoyed by the charity, an outside agency, or i'd have kicked off until their arse was well and truly tanned).

I'veonly liveed there and here ( a city with a much bigger racial mix) so cannot compare much, but my family, who were very anti-racism and also willing to make a stand against homophobia etc did directly contrast against the famillies of DH and my best friend, sad though that is (I should emphasise the place we lived was notorious for all sorts of things, may not be representative)

I used to think the answer was education and exposure and I still beleive that at the top levels- but at a class level I have come to think its not really about race at all, but a generation of have nots who are turning on other deprived groups in some kind of territorial way. Give them a ladder out and I suspect the rest will gradually resolve, but the ladders seems as if it is being pulled up instead.

posieparker Tue 20-Oct-09 12:58:32

I agree it is poverty and boredom driven.
My sister (white British) was surrounded by a large group of black youths when she, briefly, lived in St Agnes (Bristol).

OrmIrian Tue 20-Oct-09 13:01:26

It was truly horrifying sad and very very shameful.

OrmIrian Tue 20-Oct-09 13:02:47

"but a generation of have nots who are turning on other deprived groups in some kind of territorial way"

Peachy I totally agree.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now