Talk

Advanced search

Libraries

(8 Posts)
madhairgirl Tue 20-Oct-09 09:30:55

I have just found out that the library that I work at is getting self issue pods (a bit like supermarkets - lets have less staff), but the worst bit is management have decided that they want us to make it really difficult for borrowers to get their books issued the normal way, by never being at the counter and not stamping the books with the date to encourage them to use the self service pods instead.

I think it is awful, not good customer service and many of our borrowers will hate it (I hope) and we are not allowed to hand out viewpoints if they complain.
Does anyone think this is a good idea?

insertwittynicknameHERE Tue 20-Oct-09 09:33:01

Our library have got them and I hate them, I always wait for a real life person to be available.
What your management are proposing is awful, terrible customer service.

CaptainUnderpants Tue 20-Oct-09 09:36:54

We have these self service pods at our library and to be honest I find it OK. My children love getting books out as they can use the 'self serve'.

They are very easy to use.

I would imagine that they have cost a lot of money to install and see why the mamagement want pople to use them but probably they have given out the wrong message to the staff.

I owuld imagine hat alot of pople will need help with it all and if an OAP wanted to do it the old way then staff have a duty to help them , either by showing them how to use the new way and encoraging it or using their discretion and stamping.

madhairgirl Tue 20-Oct-09 09:38:49

I'm glad you agree insert, if they have their way we will all be hiding amongst the shelves, and maybe just get rid of us altogether, we could the borrowers to put their own book back n shelves next grin

lynniep Tue 20-Oct-09 09:39:35

Our new library has them and I think they are fantastic. You get a reciept for the returned/issued books and can also pay fines there. In ours there are usually staff milling by the self service pods too, to help out, although the pods are extremely user friendly (but obviously not all customers are technology savvy!).

However, I would expect there to be staff availble at the counters as well as there are at our library. Its completely unreasonable for management to just offload counter staff and expect customers to use pods. And not allowing to hand out viewpoints? What planet are they on if they want to avoid customer feedback? Sheesh!

MissWooWoo Tue 20-Oct-09 09:42:37

I had a chat with a member of staff at my local library about these. She was very much looking forward to them being introduced as she said this would free the lirarians up to help people with their enquiries/searches/research etc. She said she rarely felt she had enough time to "do her job" as she was always too busy scanning books and stamping dates!

I thought that was a very interesting take on things.

madhairgirl Tue 20-Oct-09 09:44:37

I didn't mind the idea of them, it is just the way they want us to make the old way not work. How can we not stamp books?? it just seems silly that both methods can't work together

paranoidmother Tue 20-Oct-09 09:47:23

I think it would be helpful in some libraries - we normally take out about 30 books at a time (4 library cards) so a self service pod would be a help but I do like chatting to the librarian.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now