Talk

Advanced search

To feel totally and utterly violated because of this?

(28 Posts)
ConnieComplaint Mon 19-Oct-09 19:34:34

Someone stole my mobile phone today.

Not just my mobile phone... it was everything.

I could go online (and had forum p/words saved) check emails (ditto re: p/words) I had recordings of dd singing at school.... etc you know the stuff... also had numbers from people which I won't be able to get again as I met them only a couple of times & stored numbers (ie: people I met at my BILs party who just happened to be at the club, but who I got on well with... we text a lot but don't live close... and if they're texting me I won't even get it, plus don't have their number to let them know what happened) No biggie in the grand scheme of things

But, the mobile was stolen at my workplace. Not by anyone I work with (dynamics prove that but obv I don't want to go into details)

I rung service provider - they have cancelled phone, SIM etc... have reported it to police - but am gutted..... I feel like someone has reached into my soul... I have a career where numbers are important to me and I have a lot of contacts who wouldn't be pleased with their number in the wrong hands.

PLUS- when I opened my emails this evening, a number of them had been read I didn't read them, they have obviously been read by whatever bastard nicked the phone. When I rung the service provider they said a call had been made to a direct inquiry line after I know it was stolen and that whoever had it also made internet contact at 5.45pm!! HOURS after it was stolen!!!

The thing that frightens me is one of the emails which were open was from a credit company (everyone gets them!) I never open them - this one was open, but surely the person who took the phone would have needed my address etc to get a loan????????

I know it's not important in the grand scheme of things, but I've never had anything stolen before and I am so, so angry.

ByTheSea Mon 19-Oct-09 19:36:29

I'm sorry and YANBU. I have been stolen from and it is a total violation.

easyaspie Mon 19-Oct-09 19:39:56

Oh thats shit sad have you changed all your passwords?

mathanxiety Mon 19-Oct-09 19:40:46

OMG. I am going to take a lot of stuff off my phone now. That's terrible sad

Twintummy Mon 19-Oct-09 19:42:56

What a nightmare. Poor you. I'd feel the same.

ConnieComplaint Mon 19-Oct-09 19:44:27

I have changed my email password yes. Am going to try and change my p/word for the couple of forums I go on.

Do you think they could get a loan without my address though? And would they know my name from stealing my mobile?

Actually I'm just thinking, my name is on the message when you turn the phone on

easyaspie Mon 19-Oct-09 19:46:55

How did they steal from you at work? is your bag not in a secure place?

Dont think they could get your address and they would need you DOB to get a loan.

beaniesinthebucketagain Mon 19-Oct-09 19:46:58

YANBU!!!

Ive had this happen several years ago and they blocked the sim and i kept my number they 'copied' on a new one, Im with o2, maybe you could see if theyd do that for you then atleast if your friends txtd you you would get there numbers back!

Hope nothing worse comes from there access to your emails etc

ConnieComplaint Mon 19-Oct-09 20:39:00

easyaspie - it wasn't in my bag.

I had been chatting to my dh when I entered the office reception area (via a locked door, which I locked again after me as it was lunch break).

After I came off phone I chatted to a colleague & went to show her something, leaving my mobile sitting on the window sill in reception, but it's a huge plate glass window, no open panels or anything.

I then left the office at 2pm - the lunch break was over & the door open to the public again.... the lady on reception was v.v busy & she couldn't have seen who came in & pinched the phone

I shouldn't have left it there, it was a momentary lapse of thought, but there it was, in plain view of anyone capable of stealing it, and steal it was what they did do

Lesson learnt, right and proper.

Beanies - I'm with '3' and I just cancelled the whole thing.... the phone I had was 3 weeks old, and they can't replace it, I have to pay a £50 premium as well as extend the contract if I want the same one. Have told them I'll call back when I've calmed down & thought about what I'm going to do.

Just feel like buying a shitty £10 PAYG phone and be done with it - when you have nice things, other people want them

MitchyInge Mon 19-Oct-09 20:42:59

yanbu

what a horrible thing to happen

for future reference you might be interested in the me.com tracking thing that you can have with an iPhone - lets you remotely delete all the data among other things

fledtoscotland Mon 19-Oct-09 20:48:08

YANBU.

just a thought - does your reception have CCTV?

ConnieComplaint Mon 19-Oct-09 21:09:21

Thanks Mitchy.

FledtoScotland - no. Almost all of the other offices do, but because ours is a small branch office it doesn't.

Police are coming to take a statement from me tomorrow.

Ronaldinhio Mon 19-Oct-09 21:12:43

violated seems a little strong imho

ConnieComplaint Mon 19-Oct-09 21:49:23

OK, you're entitled to your opinion

I just mean that everything personal was on there. Pics of my children, my elderly mum's number, even private texts from a contact re: work issues. Stuff I would rather not let anyone else have.

But what else can I do, it's been stolen now, I only hope they've not used the information on there for bad stuff.

bibbitybobbityCAT Mon 19-Oct-09 21:52:00

"Just feel like buying a shitty £10 PAYG phone and be done with it - when you have nice things, other people want them"

Yep, that is indeed the downside of having expensive stuff.

lollopops Mon 19-Oct-09 21:53:31

Not sure if anyone's mentioned this but you can get a replacement sim with the same number. I did this when I got my phone stolen. It is a total violation and my heart goes out to you.

lollopops Mon 19-Oct-09 21:55:47

I know it doesn't really help you now but I have all my text messages and pictures password protected, so if THIS phone also gets stolen, at least they can't read through my messages etc.

It is a violation.

ConnieComplaint Mon 19-Oct-09 22:04:21

They have said they can send me a new SIM card. But I'm guessing this won't have all the texts on it...? Obviously it can't have, right?

The guy from 3 did stress the importance of having the phone p/word protected, but I've just never did that - guess I soon will though.

ineedalifelaundry Mon 19-Oct-09 22:08:21

I understand you feeling violated. When my phone was stolen I lost all my pics, videos, saved messages etc that simply can't ever be replaced. Our phone contents are just so personal aren't they? My heart goes out to you.

redsofas Mon 19-Oct-09 22:23:49

i have also had a phone stolen with vids and pics of ds1 in his 1st year that i will never get back and allot of special and personal txts (not rude tho lol). Its so frustrating , sorry this happened to you x

lollopops Mon 19-Oct-09 22:35:03

Well, T-mobile gave me a list of all the numbers I'd used in the last X amount of days and I also logged onto their website for numbers I'd used in the last few weeks.

I then had the monotonous task of sending a circular text message to all these numbers, asking them who they were!! I know, I know, a lot of hassle but do have most of them back now

Sim-card readers are good for storing names and numbers on too.

Sorry this has happened to you. It's awful.

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Mon 19-Oct-09 22:38:03

It won' t have old texts on but new ones will get through to you.

6feetundertheGroundhogs Mon 19-Oct-09 22:59:48

Oh, poor you! so sorry you had to have this happen.

upahill Tue 20-Oct-09 10:44:39

Connie.... I'm very sad for you. It's not nice.

To everybody who is saying that they have impotant pictures on their mobiles please download them and put them on to file or cd. Same with loads of images on a digital camera. You never know if/ when the phone /camera is going to get lost/stolen/. Also memory card can get corrupted and the pictures wil be useless then.
Once downloaded the image will stay on phone/camera until you delete it so you can still enjoy the photos.

My DS had a decent phone that he lost on his PGL holiday this year. We know some kids had it because of the gigling when we rang the number and then the number was unobtainable. Unfortunately like Connie his attitude changed. 'Why have nice things if someone thinks it's ok to just come along and take them' He has a second hand phone now that cost about £20.

Bastards!!!

MaggieBehaveOutGuising Tue 20-Oct-09 13:02:03

it's a horrible feeling.. I have loads of photos on my mobile too..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now