Talk

Advanced search

saying no to my child who was being naughty

(28 Posts)
teatank Mon 19-Oct-09 18:04:22

have just arrived home from a day out with my ds. i was on a busy train when i gave my 18month old a fruit shoot he threw it on the floor so i warned him if he threw it again he wasnt getting it back. this time he threw it at a passenger i apologised and quite rightly refused to give it back to my ds. when my ds was crying for his fruit shoot back and i refused some woman began giving me abuse saying i am abusing my child by refusing him a drink. i feel sick that it comes across like that but she did witness everything. this is making me have a fear of going out. i know am oversensitive but this has really upset me

meemarsgotabrandnewbump Mon 19-Oct-09 18:05:59

You did nothing wrong. The woman was an interfering busybody, don't let her undermine your confidence smile

Hullygully Mon 19-Oct-09 18:07:41

I would be so furious.

Cluckyagain Mon 19-Oct-09 18:08:39

Ignore, ignore, ignore - you were entirely in the right.xx

whichwitchisthis Mon 19-Oct-09 18:08:51

errmmm you've not refused him a drink as he obv would rather throw it around! You always get some arsehole sticking their neb in don't you

YANBU

summerisover Mon 19-Oct-09 18:09:02

everyone in this scenario did something wrong apart from you.....

CowWatcher Mon 19-Oct-09 18:09:49

That woman is either not a parent, or if she is, she isn't a good one. If she has any children they will, most likely grow up to be criminals. Yours, however will be the moral pillars of society. (they might not have teeth though - fruit shoot - 18 months hmm).

Hullygully Mon 19-Oct-09 18:10:50

I would have called the police, frankly.

HeSaysSheSays Mon 19-Oct-09 18:15:14

It didn't come across like that, she choose to take it like that. Nothing wrong with you, I would just put it down to her having a severe attitude problem bad day!

Mind you I am suspicious of any op that needlessly points out a controversial MN thing like this.... grin

teamcullen Mon 19-Oct-09 18:15:24

she only wanted you to give the drink back so she wouldnt have to listen to your ds crying.

as chucky said just ignore her

sweetnitanitro Mon 19-Oct-09 18:16:20

hmm I love it when total strangers think they can bring up your children better than you can. YANBU, I would have done the same. If your DS was thirsty he wouldn't have chucked his drink on the floor.

ninagleams Mon 19-Oct-09 18:18:26

She was an arse who was attacking someone who couldn't have a go back at her. She chose you because your son was there, you were trying to set a good example for him and she chose a subject that would leave any mother vulnerable. F* her, carry on going out and if you see her again blow a raspberry at her.

KimiTheThreadSlayingAxeKiller Mon 19-Oct-09 18:22:01

I would have given him the drink back and encouraged him to tip it all over her grin by bribing him with a family pack of haribo.

bloodredcherrymonster Mon 19-Oct-09 18:36:58

tbh, i would have told her, if she thought she could do any better, to do it her fecking self!

llynnnn Mon 19-Oct-09 18:38:56

yanbu
i'm sure she would've had a change of heart if you had given it back and your ds had then thrown it at her!

teatank Mon 19-Oct-09 18:48:20

thanks everyone for your messages i feel a lot better. i wish i would of had the guts to say something to her but was scared it might end up in conflict and i wouldnt of wanted my ds to witness it. i will try my best to ignore next time

Hando Mon 19-Oct-09 19:11:24

Was that necessary "cowwatcher* ?

IMO you are no better than the interferring woman on the train! One fruit shoot isn't going to make all the childs teeth fall out!

OP you did nothing wrong. It's times like that when I choose to put my hands over dd's ears and thell the interferring old bats to shut up and fuck off.

piscesmoon Mon 19-Oct-09 19:16:41

Ignore! You can't please all the people all the time. If you had given it back I dare say that someone else would have told you where you were going wrong!

alarkaspree Mon 19-Oct-09 19:21:45

A man accused me of child abuse once because ds wasn't wearing his coat. (ds had a coat available to him, but had repeatedly refused to put it on). And I knew he was a loon but I still felt really bad about it.

So my sympathies. It helps to tell people about it, in a few weeks you will find it funny.

scottishmummy Mon 19-Oct-09 19:29:16

well no sock wearers here.so middle winter.wee naked feet propped up on handlebar.up rocks an ole biddy starts harrumphing that she will phone social work!that fair made me laugh

6feetundertheGroundhogs Mon 19-Oct-09 19:32:05

TANBU, you are avery good mother!

katiestar Mon 19-Oct-09 19:33:04

ignore ! who cares what she thinks ?

pigletmania Mon 19-Oct-09 19:37:26

You did nothing wrong, that lady was a fecking busybody who has no right to comment and should keep her big beak out of business that doesent concern her, i hope that you told her that angry How is your little boy going to learn, i expect that she would be the first to pass comment about kids lack of discipline these days or if she encountered a rude teen or adult.

mylovelymonster Mon 19-Oct-09 19:41:35

You were absolutely right. Don't let feckless strangers undermine your confidence.

upahill Tue 20-Oct-09 14:29:27

I would have done the same as you! (and then spent months bitching about pompous know-(fuck)alls!!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now