Talk

Advanced search

to want to tell MIL and youngest SIL to look in the mirror

(15 Posts)
OrmIrian Sun 18-Oct-09 19:14:03

next time they start going on and on about other SIL being soooo very fat and having to lose weight for her health. IMO they use it as a stick to beat her with for many other reasons (of family history). And both of them are fairly huge and make no efforts to lose weight or take exercise.

One of these days I am going to have to say something or expode! angry

Heated Sun 18-Oct-09 21:10:42

Maybe you could make a polite enquiry of, "What have you found works well for you then?"

FIL is a gut on legs and yet he makes remarks about other ppl's weight - fortunately other family members do now point out to him the hypocrisy of his comments.

OrmIrian Mon 19-Oct-09 08:04:39

Ha! Good idea heated.

Problem is I know that nothing works for them, they happen not to have been cursed with eating disorders from childhood onwards. But MIL conveniently forgets that now.

ScaryFucker Mon 19-Oct-09 08:11:07

aww, orm, I think you need to stick up for your SIL if she is being bullied

OrmIrian Mon 19-Oct-09 08:21:56

Thankfully scary they don't live near her - she is in Southampton. They don't see each other much. And there is loads of deep down resentment and history from the break up for MIL and FILs marriage and stuff that went on then.

Which makes me very wary of saying anything. Even DH is.

ScaryFucker Mon 19-Oct-09 10:57:27

yes, nothing is ever black 'n' white is it

tch, families wink

mumof2222222222222222boys Mon 19-Oct-09 11:02:59

My Dad makes comments about people being fat and I say, "Errm, Pot kettle?????"

Greensleeves Mon 19-Oct-09 11:13:50

I had a midwife when I was in hospital who kept making remarks like this to me

In the end I said "but you're no Tinkerbell yourself, are you?"

she stopped it after that

why do people do this? It's not helpful, it's just bloody spiteful angry

GetOrfMoiLand Mon 19-Oct-09 11:31:18

Some people are so rude.

My mother used to come out with comments like this, and my gran did whilst I was growing up. I am not overweight, am a size 10-12 and 6 foot tall fgs, and have a normal figure with hips and boobs. Mum and gran are built like Cheryl Cole - hips of a 12 year old boy.

They always liked to make comments

'you can't wear that it makes your hips look bigger than they are'
'ooh where did you get those great big childbearing hips'
'Fat arse'

Gritted my teeth for years. Told mum in the end that I wasn't going to put up with it any more and she was being nasty. Cue here in tears and truning it all around to her, 'ooh it was only a joke, why do you have to spoil things' etc etc, and in a huff for a couple of weeks.

Gaaah!

OrmIrian Mon 19-Oct-09 12:44:51

A joke getorf? What a charming sense of humour hmm

GetOrfMoiLand Mon 19-Oct-09 12:50:46

I know! Strangely enough I did not find it funny. Thankfully do not have their sense of humour!

OrmIrian Mon 19-Oct-09 13:10:07

BTW I love 'tinkerbell' grin I may have to use to for SIL next time she starts on her sister.

The whole thing reared it's head this weekend. It's older SIL's b'day soon and I usually send her flowers. This year other SIL told me I couldn't as she was going to. So I said I'd get some decent chocolates delivered. Well that was no good apparently hmm I can't send her chocolates, it's not doing her any favours you know! But she likes chocolate and it's her birthday. If she wants to diet she can say so can't she?

DH's grandmother has made nasty comments about my weight for years. Admittedly I was bigger than I should have been after 2 miscarriages & a successful pregnancy within 18 months (which she knew all about) but it's hardly the behaviour of a kind & tactful human being.

I've since lost 3 stone and the last time I saw her she told me I was looking "tall". I'm 5 foot 3... hmm

Some people just have no sense when it comes to weight. Keep supporting your SIL. She needs at least one person on her side.

MillyMaisMummy Mon 02-Nov-09 09:04:56

i have the same thing with MIL and SIL who is a teenager (the SIL that is).MIL is no (Greensleeves would put it-and btw i'll use that one next time MIL picks on me)"Tinkerbell" and shes forever harping on at my SIL whos got the usual teenage puppy fat around her tummy.I think SIL looks fine and has a lovely figure so i dont see what my MIL prob is.I got so fed up with it i actually said "Having curves and bit of a tum is fashionable now days so dont worry!" and MIL couldnt understand why nobody else couldnt see the problem. Ive had my DD onlyt 5 weeks ago by c section and MIL and SIL actually ganged up on me telling me "Oh you havent shifted the weight quick have you"-Give me a chance like!!!!

Bambinoloveseggbirds Mon 02-Nov-09 09:17:30

I have come to the conclusion that it's all jealousy and bullying. A couple of months after having DS by EMCS, I said that I was going to get my hair cut. They both said "do you think you'll have a proper style this time, it's a bit long and nothing". This is coming from what can only be described as a beast with a bouffant (SiL) and a skinny Andy Pipkin from Little Britain (MiL). I can just imagine their train of thought. Bambino has had a baby, recovering from a major op, she seems to be doing ok, perhaps a bit too well - let's be bitchy school yard bullies and slag off her appearance, that'll put her back in her place hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now