Talk

Advanced search

to continue listening to a CD with [probably] fascist lyrics

(8 Posts)
babybarrister Sun 18-Oct-09 09:23:58

CD is by a foreign brilliant hip hop group singing in a foreign language that I do not understand at all. It was given to me by my brother when he bought in during his visit to that country - he does not speak/read a word of that language either.

when I got the CD I could see it was not about peace and flowers from the cover - but perhaps not surprising as it is hip hop from a state at war .....!

I have listened to CD for about 5 years, really like it and wanted to get another by same band so started googling to discover lyrics probably rather vile rantings against "enemy"

now I would have no hesitation listening to Wagner or other non sung music written by fascists - but if there are lyrics I think that this goes beyond the composer's own personal views as I do not know who does understand this language when playing it.

I suppose I could carry on listening on an Ipod on the basis I have no idea what is being said but should I just bin the CD? or does the power of music always take precedence?

PuzzleRocks Sun 18-Oct-09 15:18:37

If you view it as art, and not propoganda, tis ok non?

I would not buy anything else by them though.

TheHeadlessWombat Sun 18-Oct-09 15:27:12

Entirely up to you. I'm not a fan of music censorship and telling people what they should and shouldn't listen to.

I listen to some music that could be considered sexist I suppose and music that references Satan and for some people that's equally offensive. Truth be told I don't care if it bothers others.

cherryblossoms Sun 18-Oct-09 15:27:14

Ooh! Moral quandary!

I'm guessing this is heading off towards the Polanski art v. artist dilemma.

Weeell. I have to confess that I have "I feel love" by Donna Summer. I'm v. old. At one point in her career, it is alleged (though she now refutes it!) that she made an announcement to the effect that AIDS was God's punishment visited upon homosexuals because of their unnatural practises. I was urged to symbolically smash my Donna Summer.

I just couldn't. It's such a great record.

So, you already own the thing - it's not a question of (now) giving money to fascists. You don't endorse (or even understand) the views they hold. The music has a quite different meaning in your life.

I suspect it's going to take a little edge off your pleasure. What a shame the makers of your CD were such knobheads.

TheHeadlessWombat Sun 18-Oct-09 15:38:50

Ok that probably wasn't very helpful but if you enjoy the music and want to continue to do so then I don't think there's a problem with that. I wouldn't let the opinions of others prevent me from doing so.

cupcake123 Sun 18-Oct-09 15:52:57

I don't know, it's a tough one. Presumably you would never have listened to it enough to get to love it if the lyrics were in English, so I don't think you have anything to feel guilty about. I don't think that listening to it constitutes condoning the views expressed in the lyrics.

I absolutely LOVE country and bluegrass, and a lot of songs of those genres have very religious lyrics, and I am completely non-religious but I still love them. I guess it's not exactly the same because lyrics about loving God, looking forward to going to heaven etc aren't offensive, whereas songs about hating people are potentially very offensive, but I do think it means that lyrical content is the only reason for liking a particular piece of music. If you can listen to it without offending anyone, I don't think you're doing anything wrong.

fedupintheoffice Sun 18-Oct-09 16:24:08

I think I may know the music group you are talking about, babybarrister wink. Where do they hail from?

babybarrister Sun 18-Oct-09 17:25:06

you go first as to where you think!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now