Talk

Advanced search

To feel despondent that women I once dismissed as too old and frumpy for my attention...

(19 Posts)
BalloonSlayer Sat 17-Oct-09 17:50:51

... now look considerably younger than me.

When I was in my late teens I would not have been seen dead shopping from the Freeman's catalogue because their poster girl was that ancient old gimmer, Lulu. Who now looks like this.

And as for old Burly Chassis herself, when I were a nipper she was a has-been; long gone from the charts and reduced to "Sunday Night at the London Palladium" and Bond Themes. Now she looks fab and she's 72.

And don't get me started on Bonnie Tyler in the Times today.

I am 45 and look like this

It's not fair.

angry

lljkk Sat 17-Oct-09 17:53:14

Heehee, .

ninagleams Sat 17-Oct-09 17:56:29

but presumably you haven't spent tens of thousands on surgery? I'm sticking with the doughnuts!

EccentricaGallumbats Sat 17-Oct-09 17:58:26

but they are all airbrushed and surgeryfied.
you are real.

BalloonSlayer Sat 17-Oct-09 18:02:12

But why can't there be old faded stars like there used to be? <nostalgic>

You know when people would say "ahh, she was lovely when she was young."

Joanna Lumley seems to be letting herself age naturally though gawblessergawblesser.

BonjourIvresse Sat 17-Oct-09 18:02:36

Lulu looks like she has had TONS of work. That generation just think they are immortal...

BalloonSlayer Sat 17-Oct-09 18:10:04

Yeah this comparison pair made me smile when I was looking for a photo of her.

envy

slushy06 Sat 17-Oct-09 18:27:46

Thanks was sitting here bored and really depressed and now I am rolling on the floor laughing at your expense sorrygrin.
Now am back to being depressed while dp rolls around laughing thanks to post child birth pelvic floor.

Heated Sat 17-Oct-09 18:52:40

You too can look like them.

2kidzandi Sat 17-Oct-09 19:04:46

grin Heated LOL, I think I have those in the tool box, now that I think about it....

BalloonSlayer Sat 17-Oct-09 21:24:48

One I don't resent is Frida Lyngstad from Abba. After years of being "the other one" she looks fantastic, and must be 64 or so.

I have been looking for photos to link to but the only ones I can find are from those dodgy sites which leap into life, proclaiming "Congradulations!" and scare the bejasus out of you.

stakethroughtheheartofgold Sat 17-Oct-09 21:31:59

joanna lumley has had "a little collagen" which apparently qualifies as "no surgery".

yes we could all look 'well preserved' if we had a team of surgeons and photoshoppers on hand but frankly i'd rather look older but less desperate.

MadameDefarge Sat 17-Oct-09 21:49:01

well, love, its salutory lesson in how narcissistic and ludicrous we are in our judgments when young....

I remember thinking anyone over 25 had to be really stupid, and anyone over 30, well, that just happened to people who gave up on life...

I cringe at my younger self, I really do. As should you.

famishedass Sat 17-Oct-09 21:51:04

One word

Airbrushed

seaglass Sat 17-Oct-09 22:18:28

Lulu may look fantastic, but I bet she can't drop that smile for fear of tearing skin :0
People look much better real

GibbonWithAnAppleBobbingBibOn Sat 17-Oct-09 22:35:04

perfect example

whyme2 Sat 17-Oct-09 22:40:02

lol at seaglass

ssd Sun 18-Oct-09 08:35:36

I remember reading an article about Lulu, she's got a personal trainer, cook, dietician, massuese (SP?), house keeper, christ knows what else

now compare yourself to her op!

I'd rather be real

Georgimama Sun 18-Oct-09 08:56:29

I love that youtube video. DH and I just watched that and he is now ranting endearingly about the dangers of body dismorphia.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now