Talk

Advanced search

to not like the whole " Children in Need" thing

(49 Posts)
BonjourIvresse Sat 17-Oct-09 11:45:43

( I've put in quotation marks becuase I don't not like children in need, obviously, that would just be mean ;-))

Whilst I accept that a lot of money is raised for good causes,
1. I think its just a great excuse for has been celebs to plug what ever their new projects, for free, whilst looking good becuase they are doing something for "charidee"

2. Likewise all the big companies that get lots of great tax-free free publicity for handing a big cheque over, while still treating their employees like shit

2. Why does Terry Wogan and his team need to go on his auction prizes with the auction winners. Surely if they didn't go they could auction off the other place for even more money

3. A lot of the merchandise is over priced poor quality TAT ( this goes for you too Comic Relief)

4. its a cheap way to fill a night of TV, and a WEEK of radio programs

5. I think a lot of less well known and just as worthy charities lose out

Ok rant over, I'll open it up to the floor ;-)

CybilLiberty Sat 17-Oct-09 11:50:28

well it raises MILIONS of pounds.

The lure of Terry Wogan et all, whilst baffling to some is the main reason lots of his loyal listeners bid tens of thousands of pounds each year.

Yes of course there is kudos and self publicity for the celebs involved...it's always been this way.

But there are also lots of famous people who donate and never want any publicity.

ANd as far as I know the money gets split to other worthy childrens causes, groups and charities.

if Children in need is not your 'charity of choice' that's fine, switch off and donate elsewhere. I don't like the whole TV thing either so tend to give it a wide berth.

sassy Sat 17-Oct-09 11:53:21

I absolutely hate these things. They make my teeth itch.

Humbug.

BUT I know they raise incredible money for v worthy causes so I just turn the TV off and go to bed early or read a book on those nights.

CybilCeremony Sat 17-Oct-09 11:55:06

I loathe it when the BBC News readers decide to do a turn.

skidoodle Sat 17-Oct-09 11:55:50

I'm against CiN

AMumInScotland Sat 17-Oct-09 11:58:59

I don't watch the TV show because its not my kind of thing. But since 95% of what's on TV isn't my kind of thing, it doesn't bother me any.

TW et al going on the "prizes" increases people's interest in winning them - I don't get it myself, but lots of people like the idea of being in the same place as someone famous. It makes it a "unique opportunity" for people who could afford to go on that activity any time they like, but will pay over the odds because Tel will be there. I imagine it feels like "work" to him, not just a jolly, to be "on show" to the winners like that.

pjmama Sat 17-Oct-09 11:59:11

I think the ends probably justifies the means.

Gracie123 Sat 17-Oct-09 12:04:40

PMSL @ Skidodle. Sounds like you are against children who need IYSWIM

tethersend Sat 17-Oct-09 12:10:57

I'm so glad to see this thread...

YANBU. I hate it.

Why does nobody stop to ask why, as one of the richest nations in the world, there are children in this country who are 'in need'?

Instead, people are encouraged to blithely dig into their pockets to help. This takes the focus off the government to plough more funding into SS, education, NHS etc. which, IMO, is what needs to happen.

The whole campaign just ignores the bigger picture and skirts round the uncomfortable issues surrounding children in need, instead of provoking a national debate on them.

No, let's have a picture of a teddy with an eye patch instead hmm

FFS

squashimodo Sat 17-Oct-09 12:27:44

I don't like the cin thing either. However I think that having a large fundraiser like this alerts people to the idea that we should give to good causes,fosters a 'charity' mindset, and opens children's eyes to the fact that there are children who are alot worse off than them.

squashimodo Sat 17-Oct-09 12:28:57

I love that fact that young children get involved in it.

pointyhat Sat 17-Oct-09 12:43:09

It's not my cup of tea. But lots of good things come of it so I wouldn't be churlish enough to moan about it.

tethersend Sat 17-Oct-09 12:47:46

And Mussolini made the trains run on time- would it then be 'churlish' to moan about fascism? (Before anyone quotes Godwin's law to me, I am not comparing CIN to fascism)

pointyhat, are you seriously saying Children in Need is beyond reproach? Because it does 'good things'?

purepurple Sat 17-Oct-09 12:49:55

YANBU
It bores the pants off me.
In fact, it puts me off giving to charity, so it's counter-productive.

BooingTheBestICan Sat 17-Oct-09 15:08:32

YANBU,i wont watch or contribute to it after a friend who worked in the bank CIN use told me that they had millions & i mean millions in their bank account lying untouched.

2shoescreepingthroughblood Sat 17-Oct-09 16:39:39

yanbu
but children in need has helped dd's school

sarah293 Sat 17-Oct-09 16:53:52

Message withdrawn

GhostlyPixieOnaPumpkin Sat 17-Oct-09 17:01:03

YABU. I think it's really, really good! It helps children who are in need on some level, and also helps children in Africa. And, to be honest, I think a lot of it is harmless fun! My DCs definitely like raising money by wearing their own clothes to school, and recording the CD which they do every year to raise money for it.
They also like the TV program which, although slightly cheesy I agree, is, again, good fun, and also raises the profile of other charities and showcases the good work people are doing.

unfitmother Sat 17-Oct-09 17:04:38

YABU

The disabled childrens' charity I volunteer for have benefitted greatly from CiN.

pointyhat Sat 17-Oct-09 17:31:20

In this particular instaNCE, you are comparing CiN to fascism, tether. Which is bizarre.

MaureenMLove Sat 17-Oct-09 17:45:26

I love it. It's perfectly placed in the schedules, just before Christmas gets into it's final countdown. It's a perfect platform for me to get DD to sit and watch the films of the children that a much less fortunate than her and make her think, before she makes a list of the things she wants for Christmas.

She watches, she takes it all in and then on the Saturday morning, she always takes her own money to the bank to pay into CiN.

I do agree that sometimes it's about the slebs plugging their latest venture or the band of the moment plugging their new single, but if it gets my dd watching and thinking, then job done. There must be hundreds of youngsters across the country that do the same thing and judging by the money they raise, they must be doing something right.

It's the kids of today that we need to get thinking and imho, that's what's happening.

2shoescreepingthroughblood Sat 17-Oct-09 17:48:30

dd's school always fund raise for them.....and they are children in need

KayHarkerIsKayHarker Sat 17-Oct-09 17:50:26

I'm just hoping for another Doctor Who special in it. [shallow]

MaureenMLove Sat 17-Oct-09 17:54:07

I'm hoping McFly is doing the single this year! [even more shallow!] grin

tethersend Sat 17-Oct-09 17:55:44

pointyhat, I'm not I'm afraid, I'm using fascism as an example to criticise your logic; ie, to moan about anything that does 'good things' is churlish.

That's bizarre.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now