Talk

Advanced search

to hate SUVs & the bints who drive them?

(146 Posts)
scariboo Fri 16-Oct-09 23:03:00

ds changed schools recently & where once I was only perplexed by people driving SUVs, I now (almostgrin) HATE them. Barging up & down the narrow lanes leading to the school, taking the space of 1.5 cars, arrogant, rude, more money than brains, splutter, splutterangry

UnquietDad Fri 16-Oct-09 23:04:02

Butterkist Butterkist rah-rah-rah

larks35 Fri 16-Oct-09 23:06:49

YANBU by hating SUVs but YABVU using the word bint - I hate that term as I see it as sexist.

Ripeberry Fri 16-Oct-09 23:07:45

Someone in a pick-up 4X4, brought a whole motorway to a standstill south of Bristol today. The selfishness of it! grin

larks35 Fri 16-Oct-09 23:09:15

Was that the one that brought down a pylon?

scariboo Fri 16-Oct-09 23:09:38

sorry about bint! shock

MaggieBehaveOutGuising Fri 16-Oct-09 23:09:39

don't like the word bint.

some people have more money than I do. Male or female. I'd love one. some people have nice cars... you have to get over it.

UnquietDad Fri 16-Oct-09 23:11:08

Certain cars seem to encourage "attitude" though. Not just SUVs and not just from bints. You can surely have a nice car without being a wanker.

hobbgoblin Fri 16-Oct-09 23:12:43

But, in general, I find, they cannot drive them. Also, it's not just about the relative luxury and possible resultant envy, they are more dangerous than your average vehicle in terms of ability to harm pedestrian, especially child sized pedestrians.

sb6699 Fri 16-Oct-09 23:14:52

Some people have them because the NEED them you know!!

I could do with one. I live rurally, to get to my house you need to drive up a single lane with passing places, when it rains or snows said lane becomes impassable in a car. My driveway is also a muddy tractor path and my old Mondeo has got stuck in the mud many a time and I reckon the farmer is getting fed up of a harrassed women calling him at 8.30 to beg him to come in his tractor to tow her out [BLUSH]

scariboo Fri 16-Oct-09 23:15:48

No, I admit I love a beautiful car! But these monsters aren't beautiful. Great mammoth hulking things that seem so unnecessary & what's more, I've yet to see one with a speck of mud on it. Or with more than one mum & 2 kids.

hobbgoblin Fri 16-Oct-09 23:17:42

Bah! this is the road I struggled up for 2 years in my Peugeot 306

grin

scariboo Fri 16-Oct-09 23:18:29

We could actually put one to good use as well, living in a remote agricultural area. But I wouldn't have one now if it was given to me! I'm that wound up!

scariboo Fri 16-Oct-09 23:20:05

exactly, hobbgoblinsmile

6feetundertheGroundhogs Fri 16-Oct-09 23:21:22

hobbgoblin, what a beautiful place to live!

Bet it was a bit of a bugger in the winter tho! smile

tinkerbell1982 Fri 16-Oct-09 23:22:04

oooh we was talking about buying one but only to benefit the business lol son's school is 10 houses away so in walking distant.

i find more dangerous than SUV barging up the school road are bike riders (yep secondary school kids) and 'boy racers' who ignore the lollipop man the lollipop man writes down the reg number of a car and makes sure he stops them every time he see's them for a week lol

sb6699 Fri 16-Oct-09 23:22:13

Okay, I'll concede that the townies driving the HUUUGGGEE ones that always seem immaculate and drop off one tiny child at school whilst blocking the whole street are a wee bit ridiculous.

1dilemma Fri 16-Oct-09 23:22:37

YANBU

sb you have one you sound like you need one.

I live in London most people with one round here have more money than brains! (and would struggly to drive a mini down some of the streets)

tinkerbell1982 Fri 16-Oct-09 23:24:08

some people need them not only for family but also business we are thinking about getting one purely for the business save's having a van and a car.

larks35 Fri 16-Oct-09 23:24:39

I personally wonder why so many people have them! I live on the suburban outskirts of a city and every other driveway has rangerover type car. The reason I notice this is because I walk everywhere (non-driver) and I just don't understand why people have such big vehicles when they're clearly not farmers and don't have a family of 7 to ferry about.

I walk my DS of 9m to his childminder every morning - it's a 1 mile trip and all I see are cars with one person in them. We all moan about the traffic jams and clogging up the roads but honestly what are we doing about it? SUVs are picked upon because of their pointlessness in urban areas but quite frankly there are just too many cars about and most of them only have one person in them. Urgh! Rant over.

UnquietDad Fri 16-Oct-09 23:27:24

You really don't need one in suburbia, surely.

Unless you are Captain Jack and work for Torchwood.

sherby Fri 16-Oct-09 23:27:59

walking home from school yesterday and some stupid cow in one of these

www.landrover.co.uk/gb/en/vehicles/range-rover/photo-gallery-and-media/exterior-photos.htm

she has got a blind spot the size of a house yet is backing out of the carpark onto the main road with kids all walking behind the car on the pavement, and I truly didn't see her look in her mirror once

and even if she did her sunglasses looked like this it was fucking raining hmm

twat

scariboo Fri 16-Oct-09 23:28:21

dh is worrying about me doing the school run - am I having some kind of a nervous breakdown?hmm

loving these halloween smileys!

hobbgoblin Fri 16-Oct-09 23:29:06

I did DIY advanced driving tuition up that hill every day. Only got truly stuck the once thankfully.

scariboo Fri 16-Oct-09 23:29:49

there are 1,600 kids at this school, fgs!!!! someone's bound to get smushed. grrr!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now