Talk

Advanced search

to have a go at the ice cream van driver

(14 Posts)
scottishmummyofone Fri 16-Oct-09 21:21:41

who parked in front of my house, where dd (20 months) bedroom window is, with his bell going ding a ling ding and the engine sounding like a jumbo jet or something? angry

it's 9.20am. It's illegal isn't it? I went out and told him I had a baby upstairs trying to sleep and if he came again at this time, I'd report him.

He told me to P off angry

I looked for a registration number but there wasn't one at the back of the van. There were queues of teenagers laughing and smirking at me but I'm not the only mother of a toddler in this street, there are about 4 of us, yet I seem to be the only one with a problem.

AIBU? Any advice on what I should do, seeing as I dont have a numberplate number?

scottishmummyofone Fri 16-Oct-09 21:23:00

sorry that should read 9.20 PM blush

dickiethepunchlinedonkey Fri 16-Oct-09 21:25:37

Has he got a distinctive set of chimes you could identify him by? usually the theme tune to Dr Zhivago IME. Does seem a bit late for ice creams.
I would also be annoyed.

bethylou Fri 16-Oct-09 21:25:50

My geography teacher once told me that they are only allowed to play their tune for 4 seconds in any one go. Not sure if this is true but might be worth googling to find out!!

differentWitch Fri 16-Oct-09 21:26:02

it isn't illegal until 11pm I think.

6feetundertheGroundhogs Fri 16-Oct-09 21:26:19

They have to have some sort of licence to sell from street to street surely?

9.20pm is outrageous... There will definately have been a licence plate on the front of the vehicle, you'll have to watch out for him the next time...

good luck! YANBU

LynetteScavo Fri 16-Oct-09 21:28:08

I thought it was illegal after 10pm. grin

Were peopel actually buying ice-creams? Or was he selling something altogether more dodgey to the teenagers?

TAFKAtheUrbanDryad Fri 16-Oct-09 21:31:45

Who buys ice cream in October?

The lack of a license plate in itself is cause enough for the police to check it out AFAIK. You might want to phone your local station and let them know, as it sounds very dodgy - and would have pissed me off no end!

I had a similar thing happen this week.

I was carrying ds out of the car he was fast asleep and I was trying to get the key in the door while he was cradled in my arms.

The Van came round the corner, looked at me and at ds and gave the 'ah bless' commment and look.
Then put his bloody music on. I was very angry so YANBU

beaniesinthebucketagain Fri 16-Oct-09 21:36:13

YANBU

No idea who you should contact but you should, the local one at my mums used to appear around 9, year round, then he got busted for selling fags to kids and other such unsavory things!

Hassled Fri 16-Oct-09 21:36:46

Aren't ice cream vans all controlled by gangsters these days? Or did I make that up? I'm also struggling to believe that anyone is buying ice cream at 9.20 in October. They're buying something else entirely.

InSync Fri 16-Oct-09 21:40:33

Ice cream vans sell chocolate, crisps, ciggies, all sorts these days.

scottishmummyofone Fri 16-Oct-09 21:40:49

I googled it last week (when he came at this time) and it said 7pm latest for sounding his bell. any later is illegal. (I'm in scotland, maybe different rules I dunno)

I decided to speak to him tonight as he drove off before I got a chance last time.

definitely no numberplate, didn't think to look at the front, will try that next time.

Yes my mum said I should call the police. Will do that in the morning.

It never occurred to me about the selling something else thing...good point.

It's freezing up here in scotland. The gritters are out tonight (also being noisy lol). It is also raining.

pointyhat Fri 16-Oct-09 21:49:49

He obv does a roaring trade selling junk to teenagers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now