Talk

Advanced search

to wonder what is so "fiddly and annoying" about draining a tin of tuna?

(57 Posts)
Fraochsmum Fri 16-Oct-09 15:47:06

I'm seeing the new advert for John West tuna rather too frequently, and I just can't see what the problem is with having to drain the tin.
Is it just me?

GentleOtter Fri 16-Oct-09 15:50:49

The oil dribbles down the side then over your hands and the tin often gets dropped when it slips <inept tuna tin opener here>

MaureenMLove Fri 16-Oct-09 15:53:14

I don't see the problem either tbh. I just open the tin, leave the lid on and turn it upside down in the sink. It's hardly difficult, is it!

(I also only buy tuna in spring water and not oil Otter! Saves the tin getting slippery!grin)

diddl Fri 16-Oct-09 15:53:38

No, I don´t see it as a problem, tbh.

I guess I should count myself lucky to have the timeto spare.grin

I´m should the JW would be out of my price range even if I was short on time!

BloodshotEyeballs Fri 16-Oct-09 15:53:42

Fishy hands. <<vom>>

What I don't get, is why anyone would buy tuna in oil or brine? Icky icky, nice tuna in water please.

diddl Fri 16-Oct-09 15:54:38

That should be "I´m sure", of course!

alwayslookingforanswers Fri 16-Oct-09 15:56:34

because no matter how long you leave the blasted tin upside down with the lid open when you turn it up the right way there's ALWAYS oil left in their.

ABetaDad Fri 16-Oct-09 15:56:42

Fraochsmum - I was wondering about that advert. Seems like one of those innovations we don't really need.

Open tin, tip into sieve over sink. Place bowl over tuna while in sieve and flip right way up holding sieve and bowl firmly together.

alwayslookingforanswers Fri 16-Oct-09 15:57:38

ABeta - and then you end up with extra stuff to wash - a sieve and bowl that could otherwise have been kept clean wink

TheFoosa Fri 16-Oct-09 15:58:29

that no drain tuna tases quite salty, it's bizarre

on halloween smileys! grin

<easily distracted>

BloodshotEyeballs Fri 16-Oct-09 15:59:28

I've got one of those funky pressy things that fit into the top of the tin and then you squish it down...of course it then solidifies the tuna and you can't get the bugger out of the tin...

BloodshotEyeballs Fri 16-Oct-09 16:00:01

Yay! grin

GentleOtter Fri 16-Oct-09 16:02:21

I've not seen the advert.

Does buying oily tuna warrant being sent to the mumsnet Room 101 with the froot shoots and Greggs sausage rolls? grin

Bettymum Fri 16-Oct-09 16:17:01

It is daft. Much along the same lines as pre-cooked pasta. Who needs it???? Really???
But I do like the guys playing the fiddle, there should be more of them in the ad smile.

MorrisZapp Fri 16-Oct-09 16:18:13

I like that advert smile

ABetaDad Fri 16-Oct-09 16:24:59

alwayslookingforanswers - you just said something my DW says. I use too many bowls and cooking utensils....apparently. hmm

Be nice if she actualy ever did any cooking, like! grin

Hullygully Fri 16-Oct-09 16:25:51

Tuna is full of mercury. Stay away from the tuna.

madamearcati Fri 16-Oct-09 18:31:43

LOL Dh and I were just debating this last night.
a )The moisture is there in the can for a reason surely
2 Old marketing ploy to create a problem /need where none exists.Draining tuna is no problem at all.

dickiethepunchlinedonkey Fri 16-Oct-09 19:23:15

I have a bit of an issue with unrestricted tuna use and like to be in charge of the whole process from opening the tin, washing it out, washing up cutlery/plates after eating (yes i know it's a bit tragic but i cannot stand the potential for it to look and then smell like cat food in other chefs' hands). For this reason I was applauding advent of the no drain can- but hold on- there's no ring pull. So i had to use a can opener which then became another thing I had to disinfect after use.
I have gone back to ring pulls.
Iam glad I saw this thread as it has been bugging me.

Gracie123 Fri 16-Oct-09 19:47:07

Tuna in general makes me boak. I can't stand the smell. Yuk yuk yuk!!!
I would definatly not drain a can, but I can't say I'd open one that didn't need draining either...

Tortington Fri 16-Oct-09 19:48:52

i havent seent he advert as i havent got a telly - but i hate the fiddly bits

only good name tuna for me i am a tuna snob - top grade mercury only in my roasted peppers i;ll have you know - i farkin love it

PoisonToadstool Fri 16-Oct-09 19:49:39

What is wrong with you all? Open tin, press lid inside tin to compress tuna and remove oil, whilst holding over the sink. Run hot tap to rinse hands and voila, job done. Sieve? Graivty? Pah!

I once (many many years ago) bought a pre-mixed tin of tuna, mayo, and sweetcorn. My advice to anyone reading this is not to do that. Just don't.

dickiethepunchlinedonkey Fri 16-Oct-09 19:58:44

No- hands must not be merely rinsed- they must be scrubbed as if about to go into an operating theatre. Face must be washed after eating. teeth cleaned. Sink thoroughly drained after washing infected implements.

It's a real mission and now, seeing my tuna ishoos written down, i am wondering why i bother to eat the stuff.

Gracie123 Fri 16-Oct-09 20:06:10

PMSL @ Dickie. That's how I feel about it too. I wouldn't touch the stuff, but if DH has he must scrub like never before, brush teeth at least twice, mouth wash, cover mouth when talking to me and then sleep on the sofa. grin

overmydeadbody Fri 16-Oct-09 20:10:16

man some people have ishoooooos

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now