Talk

Advanced search

Not AIBU, more is it acceptable . . . .

(40 Posts)
GreatBallsOfFluff Thu 15-Oct-09 22:13:50

to smoke in your own house when you have a non-smoking guest?

MN Jury . . . .what's your verdict? grin

Hassled Thu 15-Oct-09 22:15:03

No. Not acceptable. Go outside.

victoriascrumptious Thu 15-Oct-09 22:15:16

Yes. It's your house. Tell them to go and stand outside while you're having a fag innit

Nancy66 Thu 15-Oct-09 22:15:44

I'm a non smoker and hate cigarette smoke - but even i would accept that a smoker is perfectly entitled to spark up in their own home.

alarkaspree Thu 15-Oct-09 22:16:50

Yes, I think so unless the guest is pregnant/asthmatic/etc. But it would be more hospitable to ask if he/she minded.

I would be put off visiting a house where the host smoked heavily while I was there. One cigarette after dinner wouldn't bother me.

thesecondcoming Thu 15-Oct-09 22:17:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

paisleyleaf Thu 15-Oct-09 22:18:10

Like alarkaspree says, it's not really on if the guest is pregnant etc or a child.

ScaryFucker Thu 15-Oct-09 22:19:42

oh, fgs

you can do what you like in your own home

if visitors don't like it, they don't have to visit

victoriascrumptious Thu 15-Oct-09 22:21:15

If the guest is pregnant or with child then I think it would be right to provide her with an umbrella before asking her to stand outside

SolidGhoulBrass Thu 15-Oct-09 22:22:00

If the visitor is someone you love dearly and s/he is really distressed by the smoke (asthmatic or something) then it would be kinder to go outside for a fag. But if the visitor is a PITA or uninvited, do what you like, it's your home.

kitkatcadaverqueen Thu 15-Oct-09 22:22:45

ha! thats why no-one visits great granny. She chooses to chuff away and we choose not to visit with the dc, everyone loses out.

GreatBallsOfFluff Thu 15-Oct-09 22:23:54

Thank you everybody. I did this today when a friend came over for coffee - but I did ask if it was ok beforehand Alarkaspree. I was just checking that it was acceptable to do so grin.

Yes, before you say it, I have had non-smokers round to my house before, but I can usually last the 2 hour coffee natters, just not the 4 hour clock-watching, conversation dwindling, me mentioning it's nearly tea time *hint hint* visits blush

MrsChemist Thu 15-Oct-09 22:24:13

Perhaps at least make a show of asking. I think very few people, even those who hate smoking, are going to object to you smoking in your own home.

Rindercella Thu 15-Oct-09 22:24:55

How long is the non-smoking guest there for? An hour, then yabu to smoke in the same room. Wait, have a nice conversation, you don't need a fag, it's only an hour or so. If the guest is there for several days however, then obviously it is trickier & you should go about your business as usual. Unless of course the guest is pregnant, asthmatic, etc.

victoriascrumptious Thu 15-Oct-09 22:26:00

Everyone knows asthma is on par with vegatarianism in the socially irritating stakes and everyone knows the best thing for an asthmatic is to spend some time outdoors. Send them out, they get to breathe & you get to chuff WIN/WIN

Rindercella Thu 15-Oct-09 22:30:36

Because of course smoking isn't the least bit socially irritating is it? hmm grin

I speak as someone who used to be a very err, passionate and committed smoker. I would never have dreamed of stepping outside for a fag in my own home. However, now the fog has gone I can see the error of my ways and recognise smoking for the poison it is.

TheBatterflyEffect Thu 15-Oct-09 22:31:37

Message withdrawn

Pyrocanthus Thu 15-Oct-09 22:33:55

Yeah, my chuckle muscle doesn't seem to be working properly either.

BouncingTurtle Thu 15-Oct-09 22:36:26

I think VS is joking.
At least I hope so!

(Had a friend of a friend die of an asthma attack, so am in total agreement with you Batterfly!).

I think it depends on the visitor, I guess! You should show guests courtesy and consideration and that includes asking if it is okay to light up. But if it is someone you want to get rid of (as in get them to leave, not die shock) then puff away!!

Pyrocanthus Thu 15-Oct-09 22:42:25

Reading VS's earlier post about the umbrella, I'm sure she was joking, but it's a bit close to the bone.

Morloth Thu 15-Oct-09 22:48:19

TBH I don't visit the houses of smokers at all because not to put too fine a point on it, they stink.

If I did find myself in a room with a smoker and they lit up I would leave, at the very least to go outside.

Stinky stinky stinky.

victoriascrumptious Thu 15-Oct-09 22:50:45

My Aunties friend once died of an intestinal blockage and that's a true fact. It was sad at the time but now in hindsight I realise it was fucking hillarious!

Still didn't stop us eating sausages at her funeral, that said, some might say the sink plunger joke went too far.

BettyTurnip Thu 15-Oct-09 22:54:39

Where I'm from "to chuff" means "to fart".

"Send them out, they get to breathe & you get to chuff WIN/WIN."

"ha! thats why no-one visits great granny. She chooses to chuff away and we choose not to visit with the dc, everyone loses out."

grin grin

<<sniggers immaturely from the back of the classroom>>

EdgarAllenPoo Thu 15-Oct-09 22:57:26

chuff means something different here too....

YANBu - smoke in your home.

kitkatcadaverqueen Thu 15-Oct-09 22:58:06

lol betty grin she probably does that too... who knows???

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now