Talk

Advanced search

to think doctors don't read repeat prescriptions before signing them

(140 Posts)
2shoescreepingthroughblood Thu 15-Oct-09 17:17:37

collected dd's today
I had asked for paracetamol, the doc knows dd and knows what she has(he precribed it for her a while back)
yet instead of liquid, he put soluble tablets!!
so he can't have read it can he, makes me think the receprionist, does them and he just signs them without looking.....
(it is ok as chemist will swap it)

SomeGuy Thu 15-Oct-09 17:51:00

Can't you just buy it from the chemist without prescription?

YABU.

Tombliboobs Thu 15-Oct-09 18:04:06

Why should OP buy it when she is entitled to free prescriptions?

YANBU

jybay Thu 15-Oct-09 18:15:39

GPs prescribe about 500 items per day. Obviously we should be aiming not to make any mistakes (especially for children), but realistically there is going to be the odd error. The fact that all prescriptions are then checked again by pharmacists is important for safety.

TeaOneSugar Thu 15-Oct-09 18:28:54

They should be checked by the adminstrator who reads the request and prints out the script, the GP who signs it and then twice in the pharmacy, once by the person who picks the item and once by the person who hands it over.

It probably wasn't picked up because it was the right medication, just in the wrong form.

SomeGuy Thu 15-Oct-09 18:31:33

> Why should OP buy it when she is entitled to free prescriptions?

Because it's a big fat waste of the doctor's time, which he could be using to treat people that are ill.

I don't think it's realistic to think that a doctor prescribing something in order to save someone £1.49 on a bottle of paracetamol will remember his case notes and think 'oh yes, that girl will need the suspension, not the tablets'.

Ledodgy Thu 15-Oct-09 18:34:05

Check the address is correct on top of the prescription. Sometimes an older patient may have the same name and they've written the prescription for them by mistake.

When I took my 20 month old to the drs recently the dr came out and called 'Mr adams, Mr adams'. They thought my 20 month old was a 70 year old patient with the same name.

TheHeadlessWombat Thu 15-Oct-09 18:34:23

I wouldn't expect them to read them in great detail considering how many they sign a day. Hundreds as jybay said.

A major error yes I'd expect them to notice,but not that.

hairyclaireyfairy Thu 15-Oct-09 18:34:33

we have care in the chemist here where pharmacy will provide paracetomol, ibrufen free, saves the doctors time, do you not have something similar?

notevenamousie Thu 15-Oct-09 18:35:04

Of course the adminstrator does it and the GP just signs it. How much time do you think they have?

TeaOneSugar Thu 15-Oct-09 18:35:08

In some areas they have schemes that allow people to go straight to the pharmacy for this kind of thing, to save unnecessary appointments, tends to be in areas where a relatively high number of people don't pay for prescriptions.

TheHeadlessWombat Thu 15-Oct-09 18:36:35

And it's pretty normal as far as I'm aware for the receptionist to run them off the computer and take them through to the doctors.
That's certainly what we did when I worked as a medical receptionist in 2 different health centres. We did that twice a day.

Tombliboobs Thu 15-Oct-09 18:36:38

Last time I looked someguy, it was still the NHS, free at the point of delivery. Not, free unless you deem it to be less important and a waste of time.

That £1.49 you talk about can add up for somebody with long term needs.

Wallace Thu 15-Oct-09 18:37:14

We are lucky here with have a Minor Ailments Scheme where you can just go through the pharmacist for prescriptions for things like paracetamol (for those eligible for free prescriptions)

Wallace Thu 15-Oct-09 18:38:46

And I do think you are right that he probably just signs a stack without reading them.

Wallace Thu 15-Oct-09 18:40:08

I dont tend to use the Minor Ailments Scheme for things like paracetamol ( but did when ds needed Piriton for example) but would if there was a long term need.

SomeGuy Thu 15-Oct-09 18:40:09

Tombliboobs, the doctor definitely has higher priorities, and if you don't like the quality of free service that you are getting, then a chemist can sort you out quite nicely without any fuss.

TheHeadlessWombat Thu 15-Oct-09 18:41:41

That said they must read to them to an extent as our doctors were always able to tell who was asking for prescriptions far too often i.e They were selling the drugs,and take appropriate action.

ErikaMaye Thu 15-Oct-09 18:43:12

But if you have the option, then why not use it? Costs add up very quickly, especially if you are on medication of whatever sort for a long period of time.

ChunkyMonkeysMum Thu 15-Oct-09 18:43:25

I used to be a receptionist is a GP's surgery. It was one of my jobs to issue the repeat prescriptions. Once they were done the GP would sign them & not really even look at them. I think this is standard practice tbh.

Although I can't understand how the error was made because if it was a repeat prescription, the receptionist wouldn't have needed to add the item as it would already have been on the computer. All she would need to do is issue the repeat so it should have been exactly the same as the GP first issued to your DD.
Odd !! hmm

lou33 Thu 15-Oct-09 18:43:40

my gp no longer prescribes that kind of thing

however they do have an in house dispensary for anyone who lives more than a mile from a chemist

the prescription is printed out in the pharmacy , and whenever a gp comes to call the next patient he checks and signs the prescriptions waiting to be dispensed

HappyMummyOfOne Thu 15-Oct-09 18:46:34

Ours wont issue a prescription for calpol, paracetamol, piriton etc as it can all be purchased cheaply without prescription. Saves money and the doctors time.

SomeGuy Thu 15-Oct-09 18:48:25

> But if you have the option, then why not use it?

The problem is that our NHS 'free at the point of delivery' is buckling under the combined weight of being 'free', and if the OP expects 'free' and 'perfect', then the cost of providing that service will bankrupt us.

Hence, YABU.

Tombliboobs Thu 15-Oct-09 18:51:39

'Tombliboobs, the doctor definitely has higher priorities, and if you don't like the quality of free service that you are getting, then a chemist can sort you out quite nicely without any fuss'

I think you have missed the point of my post someguy. I am defending the right of the OP to access what she is entitled to. I am not the OP, please try and read my posts carefully wink

The doctor may have higher priorities, but luckily for society, they still see pain relief in a form that the Op's DD can access as being important enough to bother themselves with. Just because something is free, does not mean it shouldn't be correct.

Wallace Thu 15-Oct-09 18:52:12

So Someguy, when my dd had major surgery and was sent home with a prescription for Paracetamol suspension for pain relief, I should have refused it and gone and bought some at the chemist?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now