Talk

Advanced search

to not hand over my bank details to random woman phoning from charity?

(23 Posts)
Madascheese Thu 15-Oct-09 15:02:53

I support the work of the charity in question and have been involved in their female only race, but I cannot beleive that firstly an incredibly patronising woman asked me about the weather at said event, told me how valuable my support was, asked me for a tenner a month...

Then asked for my bank details over the phone, I pointed out I was sure she was very nice but I didn't know who she was so I wasn't going to do that, could they send me some literature.

She said no, thousands of people have expressed the same concern about security as me but they have been reassured when she tells them she got their name from the event list.

I say, well if thousands of people have expressed concern about this method why don't they take that on board....

She didn't really have an answer but did continue to talk to me as if I was some kind of idiot.

Seriously, you wouldn't just give you bank details out to someone who phoned you up surely???

scaryteacher Thu 15-Oct-09 15:07:20

Nope, or I'd ask for a number on which I could phone her back...and would check it was the main switchboard of said charity.

TheCrackFox Thu 15-Oct-09 15:08:21

Does sound a bit dodgy.

Sourdough Thu 15-Oct-09 15:20:59

I have just had this with a woman supposedly from BT. She wanted my bank details for a direct debit to put me on BT Business wholesale rates. I said I'd do it via mail. She asked if she could fax over the mandate, which I agreed to, but it's from a company called TML, another telecom provider and not BT at all. I have googled them and they appear legitimate, but I am now refusing to subscribe to their service because they lied when they phoned. She obviously does not work for BT but TML instead and to mislead me is unacceptable.

I would not give bank details over the phone, whatever they say.

claricebeansmum Thu 15-Oct-09 15:26:08

I am shock at this.
Surely against the charity commission's code of practice or something.
I would actually call the charity and ask them exactly what they think they are doing.

My bank phoned me the other day as there was a bit of an issue with the account and it was our relationship manager and she asked me to call her back for security reasons!

Madascheese Thu 15-Oct-09 15:27:01

Abso-blummin-lutely

That's what I said to her, I just don't give my bank details to anyone over the phone and that I thought they were bonkers to adopt that kind of policy while all the scams and id theft stories are being reported so widely.

She did say people found it a problem but did say to me that the fact she had my details ought to be proof that she was who she said she was...... *WFT emoticon*

I should have just trusted her soothing voice.... hmm

...........and 3,2,1 I'm back in the room and I've signed over my house....

MaryBS Thu 15-Oct-09 15:30:45

They probably aren't from the charity themselves either, but the phone equivalent of chuggers. I had a company phone up on behalf of a charity - they were quite open about the fact they were getting paid for recruiting contributors. Again, asking for £10 a month. Told them I couldn't afford that much (have been unemployed for 6 months) and anyway didn't agree with being phoned up at home. I emailed the charity concerned too, and told them so!

diddl Thu 15-Oct-09 15:31:02

That is unbelievable!

If you want to give a tenner a month, you can fill in a direct debit format your bank your self.

And as you say, if "thousands" have expressed concern, they need a rethink on policy!

I wonder how many of the thousands went on to give out their bank details?!

To sum up, YANBU!

WhereYouLeftIt Thu 15-Oct-09 15:43:01

YANBU. The event list she talked of is presumably a computer file, who's to say the charity hasn't had a laptop/desktop stolen or a con-artist wangle their way into being a volunteer with access?

I'd contact the charity and express my concerns to them.

Madascheese Thu 15-Oct-09 15:45:04

WhereYouLeftIt

I actually pointed that out to her, and she said well, if you let me reassure you....

I said, to be fair you would say that.....

She said, well most people trust me in the end....

eeeek!

WhereYouLeftIt Thu 15-Oct-09 15:50:27

Oh, definately contact the charity!!

If she's a co-artist, they need to investigate how she got the list.
If she's legit, they need a serious rethink on how they solicit contributions.

mawbroon Thu 15-Oct-09 16:00:09

YANBU.

I say the same to the ones that come round the door wanting me to set up a direct debit.

I ask for a leaflet about the charity and tell them I will look at the website and make a one off donation that way, if I see fit.

carocaro Thu 15-Oct-09 16:05:26

If it's who I think it is, I had a call like this and I told them to SOD OFF, she was so pushy about people dying from cancer with the boo hoo angle (had 3 people I know who have died from it so been there done that) then asked for my bank details. I felt like I had been duped!

I phone "pace for rife" and told them their marketing tactics were shocking esp. to those who had "paced for rife" three times, they were very apologetic.

Put me right off it has.

Madascheese Thu 15-Oct-09 16:09:39

I've just phoned them.

shock shock

They said people can't be bothered to fill in forms so it's the only way we can get money (slight paraphrase) She didn't seem to think it was a problem either. Lady who phoned me first was genuine btw

I've asked them for their policy on keeping my details secure as a participant in their event. In writing.

I am just amazed, I really am.

I'm off to find another charity to support.

Carocaro - I go tthe huge sob story as well, sounded like it was read directly from a script so I threw in some random answers and you could hear the pages shuffling as she moved to the relevant section....

*very peed off my lovely peaceful afternoon has been disrupted by this*

WhereYouLeftIt Thu 15-Oct-09 16:11:31

Name and shame the charity, Madasacheese!

Madascheese Thu 15-Oct-09 16:14:07

Seriously??

I haven't been obvious enough yet?

Cancer Research Uk, but they woman works for a company who do other charity call work.

xMad

*thinks whereyouleftit might be stiring*
x

BlingLoving Thu 15-Oct-09 16:16:20

I got a call from my bank a few months ago... and then they wanted me to confirm who I was with all kinds of security questions?!? I pointed out that they phoned me and that I wasn't about to start confirming my address etc to a complete stranger claiming to be from Natwest.

She was genuine, but could not understand why I was so cheesed off.

WhereYouLeftIt Thu 15-Oct-09 16:17:39

Not stirring, but there's a lot of cancer charities out there. Should the run have been a clue? Not very up on such things. No, just prefer to know which charities to avoid, I've had crap off one or two and cancelled my direct debit to them because of it.

pigletmania Thu 15-Oct-09 16:22:13

YANBU there are a lot of silly people about then! No way would I give bank details to a random person on the phone, I would have told her ok I will go onto the website and donate through there then.

It is standard practice in charities to outsource telephone fundraising as it is a cost-effective way to fundraise and the charity won't have the resources to do this in house.

IIRC from when I worked in charity fundraising paperless direct debits were supposed to cut down on administration costs and on those that do forget to fill in forms or change their mind (though obviously you can change your mind and cancel anytime after anyway)

But seeing how suspicious some people are and that you have to send out a direct debit guarantee aferwards anyway - perhaps not as ideal as they first seem.

All that said the lady calling you should have taken on board your concern and offered to send you a form out and it sounds like she could do with a bit or re-training for her telephone manner too.

It is after all up to you how you support your chosen charities.

It is good you complained and I hope the charity contacts their fundraising agency and lets them know that their caller has lost them a supporter.

I apologise I relise that

"But seeing how suspicious some people are..."

might read as if being suspicious oh callers is wrong, I meant in a cautious, correct to be careful way.

Just seen you didn't feel taken seriously by the charity either. Not at all good, if I was her and my agency lost me a supporter I would be furious.

Ivykaty44 Thu 15-Oct-09 16:45:22

It is simple - get the charity to send a so mandate with thier bank details on and you will do the rest smile

let me reasure you they can have no objection if they are legit

tillyfernackerpants Thu 15-Oct-09 17:15:32

YANBU

I've had this with my bank. They ring me & then ask for my bank details to confirm who I am hmm, & then they get all arsey when I say no, tell me who you are, what your number is & I'll ring you back. Oh no, sorry we can't give out that information - double hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now