Talk

Advanced search

To wish neighbour would clean up after their dog?

(12 Posts)
FlappyTheBat Thu 15-Oct-09 12:34:33

Rather than hijack another aibu neighbour thread, thought I would start my own.

Our neighbours have a dog that they never take out for a walk, they just open their door and let the dog out onto the front garden.

They only seem to clear up once a week, so usually have lots of dog poos on the grass.

This wouldn't be a problem for me normally, but we share part of the grass at the front of the houses and their dog only ever seems to wee and poo on our part of the grass.

They are really nice neighbours but I'm getting fed up of always having dog poo on my grass, just don't know how to broach the subject with them!

If I was allowed to, I would get a big enough fence built to stop the dog getting onto our grass, can put plants in I suppose but I'm not much of a gardener so wouldn't have a clue about what to plant to make a barrier big enough to keep a dog out.

Can anyone suggest any quick growing plants that dogs don't like?

thanks

StealthPolarBear Thu 15-Oct-09 12:43:19

yanbu
"their dog only ever seems to wee and poo on our part of the grass."
shock have they trained him!

Mybox Thu 15-Oct-09 12:46:01

Can you ask them to pick up the dog poo on your part?

FlappyTheBat Thu 15-Oct-09 12:46:02

Yes, to not wee and poo on their part of the grass by the look of things!

freakname Thu 15-Oct-09 12:48:18

I think you just need to have a word. Even if you put a fence up there would still be the smell etc. Why don't they walk it?

confuseddoiordonti Thu 15-Oct-09 12:48:32

The dog probably goes on your part of the grass so it's not on his/her doorstep! Your neighbours are out of order for both not walking the dog properly and also for not clearing up. The dog obviously has to go somewhere and they should be more responsible.
Tsk!

FlappyTheBat Thu 15-Oct-09 12:51:11

Have no idea why it is not taken out for a walk, I have gone out with nappy sacs and cleared it up for them, but left them the sacs to dispose of, even then they didn't take the hint!!

crokky Thu 15-Oct-09 12:59:11

how big is the dog?

you can buy plants that are already a bit matured and so bigger, but they cost more.

I think laurels (plant a line of them and make a hedge out of them) grow quite quickly and you can buy them in small size or a bit bigger.

FlappyTheBat Thu 15-Oct-09 13:06:58

it's a medium sized dog, quite old I think, so maybe not that agile and wouldn't be able to jump over plants <hopeful emoticon>

Will look into laurels, they sound good especially if they grow quickly!

ReneRusso Thu 15-Oct-09 13:11:35

Dogs do often have favourite places to do a poo, and it's often not where you want them to. My dog loves to poo near a particular neighbour's front door. There is a product you can try to discourage the dog from going on your patch. try googling "GET OFF dog repellent", you can buy it in a pet shop. However its totally out of order and they should be picking it up straight away. Can't you ask them nicely?

FlappyTheBat Thu 15-Oct-09 13:17:39

ReneRusso, thank you - going to head out to pet shop and get some. Need to get supplies for my pets - imo they are perfect, they don't need taken out for walks and are completely undemanding!

Think I'll suggest that instead of a dog, my neighbours get the same pets as I have - fish!!

girlywhirly Thu 15-Oct-09 14:30:01

Talk directly to the neighbours about this, highlighting the hygiene aspect, flies landing on it then coming into your home speading bacteria; doing the same in their own home too! This sort of thing is really unacceptable, especially on open plan gardens. It 's usually best to try and resolve matters between yourselves first.

You could ask advice from your Environmental Services, as the dog is fouling on your part of the garden not theirs it could constitute a nuisance, just as fouling the pavements and parks is when not cleaned up (they would be fined there if caught) I'm assuming there is no other gate/fence/barrier to prevent the dog wandering wherever it pleases which is also a risk to others, what if it attacked someone while unsupervised? You could emphasise these points and mention if someone found their dog out alone they might contact the dog warden, who might ask questions about their care of the dog, when the state of the garden would certainly be noticed, and would be viewed as lack of care. O.k. maybe that's a bit over the top, but chances are they won't realise that, and might get them to take it seriously and stop being so lazy.

My next door neighbours don't clear up their dog poo more than once a week, only more often if they need to mow the grass in summer. But this is in their enclosed back garden, so I don't have much of a case for complaint.

I did once speak to a neighbour where I lived before about his dog fouling in the narrow access path behind my garden, because it stank and I had to dodge the heap getting the wheely bin out to the front. He swore the dog never got out of the garden alone, I proved otherwise when I called him to fetch it back, a fresh dump steaming by the gate. Dog and dump were removed, and dog was supervised in the garden from then on. And the dog went to live at his parents when their firstborn arrived.

I don't think you should have to resort to planting a shrub barrier, They should take responsibility for their dog and look after it properly. (But if you have to, thorny ones will be best, holly, berberis, mahonia.) Be aware there may be a rule about how high hedges are allowed to be in certain areas, and you will be responsible for trimming it, no fun with thorny hedges.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now