Talk

Advanced search

to be cross that DS (aged 5) loses swimkit twice in 2 weeks?

(8 Posts)
time4tea Thu 15-Oct-09 09:49:39

after the first time (searched the school and the swimming pool lost property, although swimpool says they bin wet stuff immediately) I get new stuff and ask the teacher to keep an eye on him and encourage him to make sure he has it with him. plus chat with him about why it is a pain to buy new stuff, go to town for it, etc

then, two weeks later, he loses it again!
teacher is Oh, it must be here somewhere, and swim pool don't have it.

what to do?

AIBU to: write to head to complain that teachers don't take enough care (there's at least three teachers/assistants taking the 30 kids to the swimming pool)

AIBU to: tell DS that some pocket money will have to be contributed if he doesn't take more care - he is only 5!

DH will go ballistic and definitely will be unreasonable - already he wrote a letter to the head about the first swimming kit (but the school secretary told me shamefacedly - yes - they've lost the letter!)

feel much better now I've got it off my chest!! thanks MN!

Romanarama Thu 15-Oct-09 09:53:50

I think 5 is quite little to expect him to keep everything under control. I would definitely complain to the school again, and make certain everything is clearly named. Somebody should be in the changing room telling them over and over to put everything back in their bags and making sure they do it.

kreecherlivesupstairs Thu 15-Oct-09 09:56:54

YANBU, he is five. My dd is 8.5 and we invariably have to call at the pool on the way home to retrieve either an item of her kit or the whole thing. The teachers should be able to do a simple 'has everyone got their stuff' sort of announcement.

kreecherlivesupstairs Thu 15-Oct-09 09:58:44

and, I'd like to add, it seems pretty silly to throw everything away if it's left. I am suspicious and I would be suspecting the staff at the pool of running a nice little sideline in used/nearly new towels and costumes.

diddl Thu 15-Oct-09 09:59:24

TBH,if they are the only school there at the time, I´d be expecting the teachers/assistants to be picking upany stuff left in the changing rooms & finding out who it belongs to before they leave!

jazzandh Thu 15-Oct-09 10:48:48

Agree with all the other comments, but would also make your DS practise putting his stuff together in a pile at home, and maybe counting items back into his swimming bag etc....

I am constantly trying to do this with my DS (also 5) 'cos it's such a pian when it gets lost or muddled up!

upahill Thu 15-Oct-09 10:54:53

I'd be a bit annoyed but I'd get over quick. When you are helping DS to pack his swimming kit in the morning I would just exaggerate putting the stuff in the bag. You know - 'Look -Towel, Trunks. Do we need anything else? No? Ok Two things in there, don't forget' That sort of thing. Also buy cheap trunks from ASDA!!
Like jazzandh suggested really!

ShinyAndNew Thu 15-Oct-09 10:55:35

I feel for you. Dd1 <also 5> loses bits of uniform and drinks bottles daily. DH has spoken to her teacher, I have spoken to her teacher twice. Both times we were told that she is five she is old enough to remember her own things.

After a meeting with head, who agreed with me that yes losing that much stuff in less than one term is unaccpetable <I instigated the meeting after she lost her glasses>. The problem now seems to be sorted. The TA helps her get her things together at the end of the day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now