Talk

Advanced search

to wish my neighbour would stop putting THINGS in the hallway?

(19 Posts)
stillfrazzled Thu 15-Oct-09 08:42:57

We have the top half of a house converted into flats.

Neighbours downstairs are v nice, so no way I would complain, but they do seem to regard the shared hall as theirs and are steadily filling it up.

The planter that slightly impedes my pushchair, I ignored. The tacky religious memorabilia I just don't look at.

The latest addition was this morning - one of those air freshener things that puffs out a little breath of scent every half an hour or whatever. Even that - although I'm not keen - would have been OK had she not chosen some vile sickly smell that makes me want to boak. And they mostly don't even use the front door so is basically scenting something that they never go in!

It's creeping up the stairs. Bleurgh.As I said - nice people, is good that they take pride in the hall and all that. But urrghh.

fluffles Thu 15-Oct-09 08:45:14

i can be a bit passive-agressive in these situations but i'd probably knock and tell them that i was ever so worried i was going to damage their lovely planeter as i sqeezed past with the buggy and could we move it a touch because i'd hate to damage it grin

no suggestion about the silly air freshner except to hope they don't notice when it runs out.

DorotheaPlentighoul Thu 15-Oct-09 08:46:13

YANBU -- I would hate this too, but it's harad to advise on what you might say to them -- tricky ...

Hopefully someone who's good at tact will be along soon!

warthog Thu 15-Oct-09 08:48:00

it's a fire hazard if you put things in a common space that impede your access to the door. she must remove everything.

warthog Thu 15-Oct-09 08:49:11

on a similar note, if you're leaving your pushchair in the hall that might be a problem too, so you might not want to take that tack!

SCARYspicemonster Thu 15-Oct-09 08:51:40

You might want to find out who pays for the leccy in the hall. If it's you, then you could insist she removes it. Or fake an allergy. I can't bear air fresheners.

stillfrazzled Thu 15-Oct-09 08:55:55

Hadn't thought of who pays for the leccy. Actually is vv small hall and there's no light, so neither of us do.

And I keep my pushchair in my bit of hall, ie behind our door. The shared hall is TINY - literally just big enough to open the shared front door, step inside and then open one of the other two doors.

Which is why I feel two planters, a wall plaque, a statuette (wall mounted) and now this sodding air freshener are a bit much grin

I can't say anything, and we're hoping to move soon anyway. But gaaaah it's disgusting - why are they called air fresheners? When they don't freshen air they just fill it with chemicals?

Sorry, rant over.

girlsyearapart Thu 15-Oct-09 09:01:51

Are you the 'pram in the hallway'' neighbour?

She's retaliating by being 'the crap in the hallway' neighbour..

If you don't know what I'm on about it's not you..

stillfrazzled Thu 15-Oct-09 09:14:13

I do know what you mean grin - I enjoyed that thread hugely but I promise I'm not the pram in the hallway neighbour!

Didn't explain it well but my pram is in my bit of hallway, which you only see if you open my front door. They never see it.

girlsyearapart Thu 15-Oct-09 09:16:57

Oh shame though that would've been poetic justice!

Nancy66 Thu 15-Oct-09 09:17:53

I would just remove the air freshener and bin it without saying a word.

stillfrazzled Thu 15-Oct-09 09:19:02

Hmm. Couldn't bin it, but may have a look later and see if there's a bit of discreet vandalism I could attempt...

ChopsTheDuck Thu 15-Oct-09 09:19:30

normalyl the landlord pays for leccy in the hallway. I'd fake an allergy.

6feetundertheGroundhogs Thu 15-Oct-09 10:53:31

Surely you can switch those airfreshener things off... remove batteries etc...

Best thing is to actually speak to neighbour. It's gone past the tipping point.

pruneplus2 Thu 15-Oct-09 11:48:22

If its a plug in, then switch it off. If its a battery operated thing then remove the batteries.

Years ago I lived in a conversion on the ground floor - and the electricity in the hallway WAS our responsibility. The bloody upstairs neighbours NEVER turned the hallway light off. After asking many times to please remember to turn the light off we resorted to removing the bulb in the end.

stillfrazzled Thu 15-Oct-09 12:02:43

I just had a look at it under guise of picking up the post.

It is battery-operated, there are three create-a-stink settings, and it was set to max (in a hall they use about twice a week, I ask you).

Have switched it to minimum, hopefully they won't notice.

diddl Thu 15-Oct-09 12:05:14

Shared hallways.
Arrgghh!!

We rented a place with one once.

It was big.

I left my pram in without causes problems. grin

I used to take oldest to kindergarten (baby with in pram), with the intention of cleaning shared hall when I got back.

When I got back, neighbour had almost always cleaned it.

When they moved,she told the new tenants that I never cleaned the hall!!

InaneHouseholdObject Thu 15-Oct-09 12:23:12

Be honest, say you are very sorry but you don't like air freshners and it's coming up to your flat. That's one thing I cannot stand, I would rather the smell of smoke coming up the stairs than air freshners.

InaneHouseholdObject Thu 15-Oct-09 12:26:55

shove superglue in the stink outlet, see if you can block it grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now