Talk

Advanced search

to not be too bothered about this?

(31 Posts)
boundarybabe Wed 14-Oct-09 22:22:03

MIL looked after DS the other day - he is nearly 8 months. While they were at a restaurant DS had a bit of an 'episode' and they gave him his dummy, but he dropped it and the only thing she could find to rinse it in was coke shock. Now, I can well understand when a baby explodes in public you don't always think before you act and I suspect it was a bit of an 'oh shit, do something' moment, and I'm quite prepared to let this go as a) I think MIL feels guilty (which was why she 'fessed up immediately), and b) she doesn't look after him often enough for this sort of thing to ever be an issue. Obviously I'd rather it hadn't happened but as a one off I don't think it's going to hurt him.

But, at my baby group today I happened to mention it and some of the reactions made me think I'm wrong to not raise it with her. She loves DS to bits and would never intentionally hurt him. WWYD?

Orimental Wed 14-Oct-09 22:24:08

Oh FFS! It was a rinse! I have never given DS fizzy drinks and now he won't go near them (he will actually recoil), but to just quickly rinse a dummy?!

The other mum's are being anal.

Geocentric Wed 14-Oct-09 22:24:11

If its a one off (sounds like it if she "confessed"), I'd let it go. Better in her coke than in her mouth, as I often did with mine (yuk).

jasper Wed 14-Oct-09 22:24:21

say nothing and be glad your MIL looks after him.
Your baby group friends are overreacting, as of course it won't hurt him.

Tidey Wed 14-Oct-09 22:24:49

YANBU. Provided she isn't actually giving him bottles of it to drink, I really don't think it'll harm him. Obviously not the best thing to use, but as you say, probably a 'act quickly and think later' moment. And clearly she knows it wasn't ideal, or she'd have kept quiet about the whiole thing.

thehairybabysmum Wed 14-Oct-09 22:24:54

Same as you...takes more than that to faze me.

Just be thankful for a laid back attitude, it just means your life is soooo much easier than people who stress about tiny things!!

Also what a lovely MIL you have!

jasper Wed 14-Oct-09 22:25:02

lots of kids are guzzling coke in their bottles at that age

GrimmaTheNome Wed 14-Oct-09 22:25:53

I'd be very grateful to have a loving MIL capable of looking after my baby and with enough nous to find some sterile fluid with which to wash the dummy.

Of course a small trace of coke once isn't going to do any harm.

WTF do these baby group mothers think you should do? hmm

boundarybabe Wed 14-Oct-09 22:26:13

Thank you, that's exactly my opinion. I will let it go. I'm very much of the school of thought that as long as he has a healthy and varied diet the odd blip ain't gonna hurt him. Did make him hyper though grin.

ChasingSquirrels Wed 14-Oct-09 22:26:29

hum, if she was all defensive about it and thought it was perfectly reasonable then I would probably have said something, but in the circumstances you describe I'd do what you did and move on.

HuwEdwards Wed 14-Oct-09 22:26:46

boundarybabe you seem a reasonable rational person who took this in her stride quite sensibly.

The baby group mums are just trying to be superior and make you feel bad.

lovely to see another mum with a good relationship with her mil smile

boundarybabe Wed 14-Oct-09 22:27:34

thehairybabysmum - she is lovely, and after reading some of the threads on here, I know how lucky I am!

TheFallenMadonna Wed 14-Oct-09 22:27:59

Why would you raise it with her? She has raised it with you. To go back to it again would be pointless, wouldn't it?

choccyp1g Wed 14-Oct-09 22:28:48

Much better than licking it, which I've seen many people do with dummies.

stealthsquiggle Wed 14-Oct-09 22:29:03

Baby group need to get a grip.

Your MIL did something on the spur of the moment and told you about it straight away - what's to be overly bothered about?

boundarybabe Wed 14-Oct-09 22:29:11

Huw, do you think I should claim it as a first - "you mean your baby hasn't had coke yet? mine has." <smug face>

TheFallenMadonna Wed 14-Oct-09 22:30:06

Nice! That's the way to play it I reckon...

boundarybabe Wed 14-Oct-09 22:30:34

Guys, I'm not going to raise it with her. Was just checking I wasn't being overly lax. Which I am about many things. He is PFB as well. Do I get a prize for being laid back? grin

BratleyEatsBrainsForBreakfast Wed 14-Oct-09 22:31:50

They probably made a big deal out of it because coke is evil and being shocked at something like that is the right thing to do in a group situation where no one wants to be the one to say 'nothing wrong with that' incase everyone else gangs up on them.

Was only a rinse, it won't make him ill, just be glad you're not easily stressed by silly things! smile

HuwEdwards Wed 14-Oct-09 22:32:02

oh definitely! puff yourself up with undeniable pride and announce it!!

hatesponge Wed 14-Oct-09 22:32:03

I wouldnt worry about it. The baby group mums probably all have evil MILs & are secretly envy of yours!

Look on the bright side - when I was a baby, my parents used to dip my dummy in brandy...grin

Geocentric Wed 14-Oct-09 22:34:06

OP, did you explain that he didn't sniff it... grin
Your baby group does sound OTT, good for you for being chilled out!

GrimmaTheNome Wed 14-Oct-09 22:37:04

yeah, I reakon they're suffering from Good MIL envy too. Local capable granny is truly the only thing I've ever really envied!

cat64 Wed 14-Oct-09 22:37:51

Message withdrawn

boundarybabe Wed 14-Oct-09 22:38:54

Haha, yes he isn't quite on the hard stuff yet (not till you're 12, son).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now