Talk

Advanced search

to think there just isn't the calibre of musicians that there used to was...?

(19 Posts)
GhoulishFan Wed 14-Oct-09 12:24:07

Just watching the Quo on This Morning and idly thinking to myself that all these pop star-wanna-bes don't stand a hope of being around in 30 years or so really, do they?

there just doesn't seem to be the same staying power as the stars of yesteryear had.

or perhaps I'm a bit mad...

hobbgoblin Wed 14-Oct-09 12:27:03

well, whilst this is the sort of thing that elder folk say grin it probably is true. however, this applies right through history and surely is all about the way we continue to redefine what is art...

music is more mechanical now for sure

GhoulishFan Wed 14-Oct-09 12:29:21

grin I am old before my time!

paisleyleaf Wed 14-Oct-09 12:30:38

I think the calibre is out there. Just that the audience are fickle, and in the main don't want to hear well played music.
Also, there's a glut of choice out there now too. I can't keep up with all the good bands there seems to be nowadays. The way music is accessed online etc, I'm not sure that the charts/what's being played on TV etc is necessarily what all of us are actually listening too.
Apparently the no.1 last week (It's only album charts now isn't it?) only had to sell 8,000 CDs to get there.

insertwittynicknameHERE Wed 14-Oct-09 12:32:16

YANBU. I grew up listening to Quo with my dad lol, and I still love em' now grin

I think things change and we all stick with what we know from our 'era' so to speak. Probably not making myself very clear but OMG I cant stand to listen to most of 'todays' music.

I am old before my time lol.

crazylizzy Wed 14-Oct-09 12:33:21

YANBU, I can't agree more! It's the same with films too, back in the day, there was ET, The Labrinth, Back To The Future, Superman, Jaws...etc all cult classics that seem almost timeless. They don't make 'em like they used to!

meltedmarsbars Wed 14-Oct-09 12:33:51

Agree with paisley: if you see bands/artists live you can appreciate who is talented and who isn't. And some really aren't!

Going to see 2 gigs in next few weeks: Kingsize and Beth Jeans Haughton - both talented in completely different areas of music.

Will NOT be going to se anything from any chart!

GhoulishFan Wed 14-Oct-09 12:35:55

yes - the chart pop people don't stand a chance... more independent proper bands / musicians possibly have more chance and a more loyal following

insertwittynicknameHERE Wed 14-Oct-09 12:36:39

envy at you going to see 2 gigs within a couple of weeks, the last time I saw any live music DD1 (nearly 2 yo) wasn't even being thought of lol.

Me thinks it may be time to pack DD1 and 2 off to GP's for the weekend while DH and I re live our youth at a gig or two grin

meltedmarsbars Wed 14-Oct-09 12:39:02

Needs serious babysitter planning!

All nearly went belly-up last time when usual babysitter was ill, had to ring round 6 friends at last minute, each of whom had said to me "oh, I'll babysit for you one day..." before I found one who could come! (dc3 serious disabilities so I milk the sympathy!!!)

meltedmarsbars Wed 14-Oct-09 12:39:33

That time went to see Noah and Whale smile

TheHeathenOfSuburbia Wed 14-Oct-09 12:42:02

Yeah, there are some great bands that have been around for thirty+ years (and there's the Quo, too wink), but I bet most of what was topping the charts and being played on the radio way back in the 'good old days' was crappy disposable pop that has since sunk into well-deserved obscurity... just like today really!
Plus ca change and all that...

LouMacca Wed 14-Oct-09 13:49:59

I think programmes like the X Factor and Britains Got Talent have a lot to answer for.

Young children go out and buy records by the manufactured winner of these programmes by the truckload - the records are usually cover versions and certainly almost never written or co-written by the singer. The are simply puppets for money-making machines. I'm not doubting that Leona Lewis et al can sing but can they write their own music and lyrics?

While there are some original, talented songwriters and groups around they just don't get this sort of mega exposure.

Iklboo Wed 14-Oct-09 13:52:06

DH and I wonder what Monsieur Cowell et al would have said to Bob Dylan, Joe Cocker, Mick Jagger etc who, lets face it, do not have the world's most melodious voices but darn it - ain't they good

paisleyleaf Wed 14-Oct-09 13:54:14

Those x-factor etc winners always seem to have a certain shouty Mariah Careyish sort of style of singing that I just don't like listening to.

Iklboo Wed 14-Oct-09 13:54:20

Don't get me started on covers

'I'm gonna be singin' First Cut Is The Deepest by Sheryl Crow'

No - you're going to be singing First Cut Is The Deepest by Cat Stevens covered by Sheryl Crow amongst others

Nancy66 Wed 14-Oct-09 13:54:43

There are still plenty of great musicians/songwriters out there, it's just that programmes like the X Factor give the impression it's full of karaoke singers who all do Mariah Carey or Robbie Williams covers.

southeastastra Wed 14-Oct-09 13:57:38

i find some of the best musicians playing blues down the local pub. doubt they'd be interested in what simon cowell things of them!

difference is they do it as they love it and have something to say. not because they want to be famous and sing someone else words.

Sunshinemummified Wed 14-Oct-09 13:59:56

YABU. There are lots of good bands are musicians of a high calibre out there today. A good example is Damon Albarn - look at how his music has crossed genres and the amount of people he's worked with. I'm pretty confident some of his stuff will stand the test of time.

Yes there is also a lot of pop dross out there but, as someone else has said, that's always been the case.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now