Talk

Advanced search

Which is the better of two evils ?

(7 Posts)
Broke Wed 14-Oct-09 10:41:01

Am struggling to sleep at the moment because I have this hanging over me like a dark cloud.
There is a company I have wanted to work for for the past 10 years and I believe they are about to make me a job offer.
It's not an amazing job but it's a foot through the door and could lead to other exciting opportunities in the future.

However I am pregnant with a baby we've tried for 6 years to conceive.

And my husband has been out of work for nearly a year, we are living off our savings, his job seekers allowance ended 4 months ago and when our savings run out I simply do not know what we will do.

My biggest concern is because I'm pregnant and frankly feel like shit I am not at my best, I might not perform and could blow this opportunity with this organisation. Plus it is quite a stressful job what impact could that have on the baby.

In my position what would you do ?

Nancy66 Wed 14-Oct-09 10:53:27

Are you currently employed?

Broke Wed 14-Oct-09 11:06:52

Yes but in a part time as 10 hours a week role, I do have other children so when he was working my current role was perfect.
I guess that's another factor, if he had a job I'd be perfectly happy in my current job and would have applied to this company in 2 years time when I could give them 100%

shootfromthehip Wed 14-Oct-09 11:09:18

Om my, you are stuck between a rock and a hard place- i think you should go for it and accept that it is a stepping stone. Would it give you enough to live on if you were to be the main breadwinner and DH could look after the baby?

Broke Wed 14-Oct-09 11:14:01

No in the long term we'd still be stuffed if DH doesn't get a new job which is a whole new topic I know.
But if he does get a job then straight away everything is fine again and then I'd be letting the company down in 7 months time.
However he hasn't managed that so far in the last year despite 30+ interviews, oh I could cry

Nancy66 Wed 14-Oct-09 11:47:27

In your position I would stick with my part time job and hope there might be an opening for me at the new company further down the line.

I know that legally you don't have to tell a new employer that you're pregnant but I've always felt that, to be fair, you really should - especially if they are a smaller company.

You've struggled to conceive for six years - you're not yet reached the 12 week mark, I wouldn't add to the stress by taking on a big job at the moment.

lou031205 Wed 14-Oct-09 22:25:23

"then I'd be letting the company down in 7 months time."

No you wouldn't.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now