Talk

Advanced search

To not be able to 'get' why people love their tumble drier?

(71 Posts)
shootfromthehip Tue 13-Oct-09 14:04:38

This is not a euphamisim or code for anything else, I genuinely do not get why people like their tumble driers. I have an washer drier and every time I use it I end up with a load of crinkly washing whether I leave it in there or not. I generally find it makes my ironing experience rather more unpleasant than it already is. I prefer to air dry- either outside or on my pulley- despite the time that it takes.

I do not get why people are so evangelical about their tumble driers. Am I missing something? Do I need to buy drier balls? Am I inept in the ways of the drier?

Undoubtably I need to get a life but my question to you is, AIBU?

TheHeadlessWombat Tue 13-Oct-09 14:07:09

Tumble driers are much better than washer driers.

scaryteacher Tue 13-Oct-09 14:07:35

Mine dried towels, jeans and bedding, obviating the need to do ironing. If tops and trousers are removed and folded, then again, no ironing (or very little) needed.

I love mine - but mine is not a washer dryer, it's a stand alone dryer as it were.

Not every where has the ceiling height for a pulley, and I cannot bear wet laundry over radiators.

TheHeadlessWombat Tue 13-Oct-09 14:08:14

Dryers sorry.

They tumble dry much more effectively.

I don't love mine but I like it. I line dry much of the washing but I find that the towels and some other items become unpleasantly rough when line dried.

dutchmanswife Tue 13-Oct-09 14:08:56

You're using a washer/dryer not a tumble dryer. Washer/dryers are notoriously crap, I've had one and hated it. My tumble drier however is brilliant.

nikki1978 Tue 13-Oct-09 14:09:01

Tumble driers rock. They dry things fast and ime most things don't need ironing afterwards - great for me as I am iron phobic grin

Washer driers are rubbish and don't dry things properly.

Morloth Tue 13-Oct-09 14:09:31

IME washer dryers suck.

I love my dryer because I can get clothes from dirty to clean, dry and put away in under 2 hours.

Itsjustafleshwound Tue 13-Oct-09 14:10:58

Washer driers are not the best ..

However, I can't say I LOVE my new condenser tumbledrier ... but coming from sunnier climes, I can't stand washing hanging about on driers and radiators. My first choice would be to hang it outside (as I do in summer)

Added to this my 2 1.2 yo son who throws EVERYTHING on the floor ...

YABU - my electricity bill, my problem!!

MissAnneElk Tue 13-Oct-09 14:11:02

If you have a washer/drier then when you use the drying cycle you are probably overloading it leading to crinkly clothes. They normally only dry half a wash load at a time.

Most of the things I take out of the dryer just need a quick shake and then folded. I do iron some shirts, but DDs school shirts are fine if hung on a hanger straight from the dryer.

Bramshott Tue 13-Oct-09 14:12:39

I line dry everything when I can, and have an airer in the kitchen too (no ceiling height for a pulley), but before we had a tumble drier it was a real pain - a wash would take 3 days to dry, they would stack up, and the windows went mouldy etc. Now I occasionally stick things in the tumble drier (great with towels or nappies) and it clears the backlog. Or hang things out and then bung them in the tumble drier to finish off.

ChunkyMonkeysMum Tue 13-Oct-09 14:14:38

I love my tumble dryer. I had a washer drier once & it was crap !!

I haven't got the space to have all my washing hanging up around my house, so love the fact I can chuck most of it in the drier.

It makes the baby clothes lovely & soft, unlike leaving them hanging up to dry.

Undercovamutha Tue 13-Oct-09 14:15:05

I know I'm sad but i do LOVE my TD. I hate ironing with a passion, and with the wonderful TD I am able to get away with only having to iron a few things. Don't know what I'd do without it. Would happily forsake my dishwasher, but never the TD! Get one - you'll never look back grin!

bibbitybobbityCAT Tue 13-Oct-09 14:17:49

I hate my tumble drier.

I only use it in direst emergencies. About once a week just to dry some item of uniform off, usually!

The clothes come out all floppy and lifeless and the smell of the washing powder (which, weirdly, I actually like) has disappeared.

I actually loathe the feeling of tumbledried towels. I like them to be a little bit crunchy wink.

Sunfleurs Tue 13-Oct-09 14:20:24

I never use it, it shrinks my favourite jumpers every time and is just a total PITA.

I love the smell of line dried washing. I live in a flat but have still managed to rig up a washing line. I actually see it as a luxery item considering my circumstances.

TheHeadlessWombat Tue 13-Oct-09 14:22:34

Plus I get to clean the filter which is a rather satisfying task.

BloodRedTulips Tue 13-Oct-09 14:24:45

washer driers are the work of the devil.

i bought a tumble drier this year and i would quite happily marry it and have its babies!

Hulababy Tue 13-Oct-09 14:26:16

I hated my washer drier!

I do have a tumble drier. I always do underwear, bedding and towels in it. Towels come out so much softer and cosier than on the line. And I hate hanging up underwear everywhere as so time consuming!

I have an airer for the other stuff.

I don;t find a tumble drier makes ironing worse however. It shouldn't do.

ChunkyMonkeysMum Tue 13-Oct-09 14:26:48

LOL @ BRT " i would quite happily marry it and have its babies!" grin

gloiredemonpere Tue 13-Oct-09 14:43:35

I like to sit on tumble dryer but DH likes to stick his in the hoover. Horses for couses I guess

pipWereRabbit Tue 13-Oct-09 14:47:40

Because, when DD is sick in the night, once on her original bedding and again on the spare set, I stand a reasonable chance of getting it all dry and ready before we get to vomit session no.3.

carocaro Tue 13-Oct-09 14:49:17

Mine has two settings, hand iron where it leave the clothes slightly damp so ironing is really easy and there are not crinckles and machine iron for towels etc where they are hot to trot when they come out all perfect.

It's a washer dryer and is very lovely, it's called Maurice.

It's Miele one, cost about £800 7 years ago and I too would marry it and have it's babies, it does such a good job everytime!

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 13-Oct-09 14:54:16

we LOVE our tumble driers as makes life much easier grin

dry clothes in an hour or two

no damp clothes hanging about

all soft and generally if you fold as machine stops you dont need to iron

i HATE washer/driers as they dont dry quickly, clothes ofetn smell funny and as op said leave clothes creased

so yanbu to hate washer driers

yabu to hate tumble driers

shootfromthehip Tue 13-Oct-09 14:55:48

So the washer dryer element of it is the problem? I only half fill it and never use it to dry things like towels (unlike gdp- I don't sit on my drier but I do get a wee thrill from a crunchy towel wink). I have no room for a dryer anyway but am still convinced that even having the real McCoy would not change my mind. Goood to see that there are people who love their dryers.

Oh and my apologies for not spelling 'dryers' correctly. I am officially an idiot! blush grin

pippylongstockings Tue 13-Oct-09 15:02:21

I have two children and don't have a washer/dryer or a tumble dryer - my mum things I am mad and clearly living without some of life's basic needs..... I however enjoy hanging the washing outside to dry and seem to cope perfectly well. It is a bit of a pain in the winter more but it makes me more economical about what I wash!

bruffin Tue 13-Oct-09 15:02:27

YABVU

But must admit it must be because you have a washer/dryer.

I don't use conditioner but everything comes out lovely and soft from the tumble dryer.
I can't line dry as I have far too many trees in my garden and the squirrels will throw things at my washing and the birds would probably make a nasty mess.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now