Talk

Advanced search

To be slightly suspicious of Sky?

(9 Posts)
BlingLoving Tue 13-Oct-09 13:36:04

We installed the new Sky Card, as requested by them, a few weeks ago. Suddenly, today, our Sky is not working and when DH called them, they told him it would cost £55 to send out a technician to have a look or... we could pay £75 to have HD installed, which naturally would fix the problem as we'd get a new box and someone would come install it for that price. "Just an extra £10 per month for HD..."

Mmm, am I being a little conspiracy theory-like here? I suspect I am, but am a bit irritated.

PuffFluffLovesApplePearSnapps Tue 13-Oct-09 13:37:31

Do you watch a lot of television? maybe it a sign that you shouldn't?

Niecie Tue 13-Oct-09 13:38:58

Don't know.

I'll get back to you when we have had our new card a few weeks - came at the weekend.smile

I suppose it is another way of getting your 'attention' when you refuse to listen to their telesales crappage like we do.

BlingLoving Tue 13-Oct-09 13:47:18

It drives me mad because we actually spoke ot one of those sales guys in shopping centres? And he basically said, "I shouldn't tell you this, but really, your best option is to cancel Sky in your name and re-order it in your DH's name so that you get the benefits of being a new customer".

Sad. But true.

sazm Tue 13-Oct-09 13:50:57

we got our new card and had no problems at all when we installed it,
do you still have your old card? does it work?

if it doesnt work,then phone them and cancel,they will usually offer you a great offer to stay with them,if not cancel and do as bling said, order it in your hubbys name,

Sourdough Tue 13-Oct-09 13:53:59

Oooooooohhh.

When we moved in August I got an extra Sky+HD box installed in the sitting room.

Cut to a couple of weeks later, got a telephone call from Sky offering an insurance to protect said box in the event of breakdown. Box was brand new, I'm not a great believer in insurance unless it's required legally so I declined the 'offer'.

Suddenly, not two months later, our Sky+ box keeps switching itself off. We can get it to come on again if we wait a few minutes, but I too was a bit suspicious having declined the insurance.

I'm not usually a conspiracy theorist, but it did seem strange as I've had Sky for years and years and never had a problem with any of it until now.

ChunkyMonkeysMum Tue 13-Oct-09 14:42:45

We have 3 Sky boxes in our house & have changed the cards in all of them with no problems at all <<touches head as not close enough to any wood>>

pippylongstockings Tue 13-Oct-09 14:58:11

I have heard of a few people having problems with their sky boxes when they changed cards. (But I do work in a bank so hear lots of tales of woe!)

We held off changing ours because of this - but due to the random message telling us to change popping up all the blimin' time we have just changed our this weekend.

I am worried now, as of course it had just gone past the year where we had free call out!

LibrasBiscuitsOfFortune Tue 13-Oct-09 15:02:21

"Suddenly, not two months later, our Sky+ box keeps switching itself off. We can get it to come on again if we wait a few minutes, but I too was a bit suspicious having declined the insurance."

Your new box is under gaurantee for the first year.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: