Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to suspect that the Fantastic Mr Fox film has been ruined by Americans?

(34 Posts)
CornishKK Tue 13-Oct-09 08:54:46

Loved the book as a child, loved it, I've been hoping for thirty years that it would be made into a good film.

Mr Fox with an American accent, talking about real estate and using a credit card???

Baseball references?

FFS.

The whole movie is American, and from what's just been said on Breakfast, the main characters are all American and the baddies are English.

hmm

CornishKK Tue 13-Oct-09 08:59:51

An American Mr Badger? Ridiculous.

DorotheaPlentighoul Tue 13-Oct-09 09:00:24

I know, it makes my heart sink. YANBU.

rosieposey Tue 13-Oct-09 09:01:07

OMG cornish i am so there with you! I watched the trailer on youtube and was sooo disapointed - they have totally ruined it. I remember my dad reading that to me and it being one of my favourite stories (im 37) and i still love it and have read it to all of my children now.

Cant believe they have bastardised it so badly - i wont be going to see it as i dont want the lovely pictures that i have built up in my head relating to the story (beautiful rolling english countryside, proper foxes dens ect ect)

CornishKK Tue 13-Oct-09 09:02:54

James & The Giant Peach was bad enough but this, this is an outrage.

I will watch it though. But just so that I can get cross. grin

quidnunc Tue 13-Oct-09 09:03:58

I share your misery. DS has been hopping about the place for weeks, ever since he found out FMr.F is to be made into a film. He will be upset about any change from the book. So annoying. They've done the same (i.e. ruined, dumbed-down and trashed) with Winnie the Pooh, Rupert, et al.

(On the filp side the Pixar movies are outstanding. Shrek etc., all are v. good)

So, YA-definitely-NBU.

CornishKK Tue 13-Oct-09 09:08:15

Hoorah, my first AIBU and I'm not.

I could be classed as slightly tragic, my PFB is only 12 weeks so not really that bothered by animation yet. Although he already has a book case full of my childhood favourites that I want to share with him....

Don't get me started on the Winne The Pooh debate.

Quid - your poor DS!

rosieposey Tue 13-Oct-09 09:09:03

Mr Fox is going to sound like Mr Coyote ( i made him up grin) and i do agree that the Pixar films are amazing, but thats their genre - Roald Dahl's books were never meant to be set anywhere else but here, the characters were always just so 'English' and its a shame they had to deviate from that. JK Rowling doesn't seem to be having the same problem? hmm

CornishKK Tue 13-Oct-09 09:16:05

It's the Englishness of FMrFox that makes me love it.

There have been some good book adaptations recently - Harry Potter is a great example. Damn those Americans. They seem to have introduced a random selection of woodland creatures never seen before. Mr Possum and Mr Fecking Racoon.

Mr Fox is English, there's nothing more English than Mr Badger. angry

And as for the Charlie & The Chocolate Factory re-make, what on earth was all the nonsense about Willy Wonka's dad being a dentist?!

I love a rant in the morning.

(I do like the look of the animation though.)

roulade Tue 13-Oct-09 09:24:34

Oh poo, i was looking forward to this too sad

deepdarkwood Tue 13-Oct-09 09:30:58

ds adores Mr Fox - listens to it everynight at bedtime. We saw the trailer and he wailed 'That's NOT fantastic Mr Fox".
Good lad.

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Tue 13-Oct-09 10:02:38

YANBU - I thought the same. I just love the line 'she won't feel so rotten, as soon as she's gotten, some cider inside'er inside!' Can you imagine that working with an american accent? I imagine it west country...

sarah293 Tue 13-Oct-09 10:04:57

Message withdrawn

HowlingAtTheMoon Tue 13-Oct-09 10:10:37

OH NO!!! My DS is desperate to see this but if its not been done properly then I think I won't take him. Oh I'm really upset now.

crazylizzy Tue 13-Oct-09 10:12:05

YANBU, it's very sad. I hate it when they kill classic literature sad Roald Dahl would turn in his grave if he saw that monstrosity.

LittleWhiteWolf Tue 13-Oct-09 10:13:15

Sigh, why do we keep selling the film rights to the Americans who ruin our childhood books??? Its not as if we dont have a successful film industry in the UK. Well it would be more successful if we kept gems like these and made them ourselves.

I've read before that this often happens because people from the UK find it easier to 'get' American references, but the Americans find it very hard to 'get' ours. I find that sad given that the US is meant to be this big old melting pot of different cultures... hmm

*waits to be flamed by passing yanks, oh well, I'm going out soon anyway*

HowlingAtTheMoon Tue 13-Oct-09 10:15:35

And they always do that thing of making english accents the baddies and americans the goodies. (and yes I know they are all english in the book before anyone says!)

WhereYouLeftIt Tue 13-Oct-09 10:27:26

I saw the trailer for this - George Clooney is Mr Fox? Someone in Hollywood though 'The Fantastic Mr Fox' could be grafted onto 'Ocean's 11' to make a children's film, didn't they? sad

MillyR Tue 13-Oct-09 10:31:01

Oh no! This has made me very sad. We have always disputed Mr Fox's accent. DH thought foxes were cockneys, and I thought Cornish.

I have already promised DD that we will go and see it, but WHY American accents?

alana39 Tue 13-Oct-09 10:38:27

Oh no YANBU, I have been looking forward to this and so have DCs but it will just be wrong. Do Americans drink cider?

And I have only just got over reading what they did to the ending of Life on Mars in the US version too sad

WhereYouLeftIt Tue 13-Oct-09 10:39:50

MillyR, I don't have the book but a CD, I believe Dahl himself voiced Mr Fox. (I prefer books, but this was bought for long car journeys.) It is nice to hear the voice in your head for yourself though, let's you put your own slant on the character, doesn't it? Rather than just presented with it. And he most certainly is not American!

Ledodgy Tue 13-Oct-09 10:40:10

sad I still haven't got over the disneyfication of Winnie The Poo.

Ledodgy Tue 13-Oct-09 10:40:48

*pooh

I always thought they were Cockneys. Will be awful with American accents. YANBU.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now