Talk

Advanced search

In telephone the local Senior school to complain about the language used by some of the pupils this afternoon?

(21 Posts)
norksonmywitchesbroomstick Mon 12-Oct-09 17:43:33

Well actually it's a bit late it's really a was IBU smile

Walking home from school, with my DS 3 and DD 4
5 boys in identifiable uniform cycled slowly past, and between them used the F word 3x in as many sentences.

I loudly said- Language , There were about 10 primary aged and younger children within earshot

They then proceeded to cycle right up to me and drop their bikes( we were all about to go into the shop) And seemingly in an act of defiance, said the F word as many times as possible.

I walked straight home and rang the school, who say they will investigate.

I am not expecting anything, and if they hadn't carried on would not have said anything at all, but they got right up my nose.

My Ex says it's a bit like pot calling a kettle black as I do swear, but generally not in front of the children( I am not saying never, I am human).

So WIBU

Hullygully Mon 12-Oct-09 17:44:59

No

Danthe4th Mon 12-Oct-09 17:49:15

I would have done the same thing, i'm fed up with hearing people use the F word every other word.

RainRainGoAway Mon 12-Oct-09 17:50:38

I would be on the phone so fast...!

BarakObamasTransitVan Mon 12-Oct-09 17:50:40

YANBU. And I have been grateful (although blush ) if you'd alerted me to my dc doing the same.

etchasketch Mon 12-Oct-09 17:53:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

tearinghairout Mon 12-Oct-09 17:56:04

YANBU. The school will give 'em a good talking to - "This is not good enough. The reputation of the whole f*king school is at stake here"

Is it a state school? Bet they've got nits.

YANBU. I've told the little blighters off before, for 'language' as they cycled past my dch. The blighters said 'Sorry'. I was flabbergasted!

DesperateHousewifeToo Mon 12-Oct-09 18:04:36

If it happens again, pretend to make a phone call and make sure they hear you ask to speak to the headteacher whilst they are effing and blinding in front of you.

I know a deputy head who stops her car if she sees any of her pupils looking dishevalled or mis-behaving outside school. Apparently, she is very scary 'in action' grin

YWNBU at all.

Jamieandhismagictorch Mon 12-Oct-09 18:08:30

YANBU to ask the children to tone it down I do the same on the way to and from school with my DSs, and most of the time I've had an apology (I live in London).

TBH, it wouldn't occur to me to phone the school. Reassuring to hear that people think the school would do something about it.

MusterMix Mon 12-Oct-09 18:09:12

i thinkt he bit where they threateend you is the issue = not the casual swearing.

sweetnitanitro Mon 12-Oct-09 18:09:37

YWNBU. I do swear front of my mates in the pub, but not loudly in front of primary school children. There's a time and a place. I would have told them off too, good on you.

Asana Mon 12-Oct-09 18:27:48

YWNBU. However, you may find that the school do little/nothing about it. A couple of years ago, I lived three doors down from a failing school (which has since been closed down). One morning, I found a paper slip in my front garden. It was a note to say that Student X had not turned up to school in the required uniform and had been sent home to change. Given that the note was intended for the student's parents, it meant 2 things:
1. The parents never got it
2. A student had most likely left school and effectively played truant, without the school or their parents knowing where they were

I took the note, went into the school and handed it to a teacher I saw in the yard. When I told her how I had come about it and what it most likely meant, she proceeded to rip it up in front of me and threw it in the nearest bin. I asked if she was planning on doing anything about it and her response was (and I quote), "What's the point?" shock

I guess I can now see why they closed the school down if that was the attitude of its teachers.

Anyway, I digress. YDefinitelyWNBU.

pointyhat Mon 12-Oct-09 18:39:50

You were right to do so since they carried on like arseholes

norksonmywitchesbroomstick Mon 12-Oct-09 18:40:08

It is the local RC aided school.
I spoke to the personal/ welfare person(cannot remember the full title) And He said that as all children who rode bikes to school had to have parental permission slips and not many actually take their bikes to find 5 children in a friendship group would not be hard.
I described one boy and he actually asked if one of the group had fair hair(they did) so I think they already know who it was iyswim.

I am not expecting much to be done, but at the same time I also would like to know if it was my DC

Morosky Mon 12-Oct-09 18:44:13

I would complain and as a teacher if this was a member of my tutor group I would want to know.

I once spotted some pupils skiving from the secondary school across the road when I was dropping my dd at nursery. They were smoking and swearing. I frogmarched them back into school.

AlliterateAndTitillate Mon 12-Oct-09 18:50:42

We could not even eat in our uniform 'in public'

AlliterateAndTitillate Mon 12-Oct-09 18:52:04

Or wear patent shoes as it allowed boys to see up our skirts.

Sorry I am wandering off topic.

Hulababy Mon 12-Oct-09 19:03:18

Good on you for complaining.

FWIW when I was teaching, if the head did get such a complaint, then he would speak with pupils through assemblies (or heads of year would too). Even if anonymously done and the pupils were not known, the head would remind pupils of their responsibility to behave accordingly when representing the school (i.e anytime in uniform), etc.

hatesponge Mon 12-Oct-09 19:27:39

Not unreasonable to complain if it offended you.

However I would be very surprised if anything were done about it....but then again at DC2's school the language in the playground by the under 11s is worse than that, and to my knowledge nothing is ever done about that because it doesn't happen 'in class' hmm

SarfEasticated Mon 12-Oct-09 19:49:38

The chap at the school asking you to describe the group reminded me that as a red-head in a non-celtic area, I could never do anything wrong at school without being caught. Hmph.

6feetundertheGroundhogs Mon 12-Oct-09 22:29:14

Good on you.. I've wanted to do that in the past.. I WILL next time!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now