Talk

Advanced search

to be really annoyed that playgroup lady hasn't called me back?

(7 Posts)
knittingmama Sun 11-Oct-09 22:13:36

Spaces have opened up in our local pre-school/playgroup and I rang the leader last week to have a chat. Spoke with her briefly and said I'd come round and pick up an application. Have since left her 2 messages (since Wednesday) to find out when would be a good time to pop in and talk to her, as I know she's busy during the sessions and I don't want to show up at a bad time. No response. I'm really annoyed and almost feel that if she can't return my call then how would she be with my child? Seems really unprofessional. Some parents have had problems with the group so this is just adding to a bad feeling about it. AIBU?

whomovedmychocolate Sun 11-Oct-09 22:19:59

Yup, all playgroups are run by people who are either too busy for or crap at admin - I can guarantee it's nothing personal and she'd probably have very little to do with looking after your child anyway.

She may even be off sick or on holiday, you don't know. Stop being stroppy. Call with a smile on your face tomorrow and find out.

knittingmama Sun 11-Oct-09 22:22:41

Thank you, that's what I needed to hear! I'll just pop in, it's only over the road. smile

tillykins Sun 11-Oct-09 22:23:24

yeah that! It won't be nearly as big a deal to her as it is to you

And there are always some parents who have a problem with a playgroup - its probably unsettling if you find a group that everyone is always happy with!

What is it that gives you a bad feeling about it in general?

valhala Sun 11-Oct-09 22:26:28

If some parents have reported problems it sounds to me all the more reason to pop in unannounced to pick up that form although I assume that you don't mean any form of negligence towards the DC there. Look at it this way - you want a form from them, you want a chat and you want to see how it is run on an ordinary basis, not just when Ms X is booked to arrive. You must surely also want to make your decisions based on more than what other parents say, though I don't argue that this can sometimes be valuable.

YANBU to be a little annoyed as although the staff are busy I'm sure you are too, but rather than fret about it, why not pop in? What have you to lose, you've got a good excuse having had no call as promised?

Out of interest, what sort of concerns have other parents expressed?

knittingmama Mon 12-Oct-09 22:28:48

Well, after I posted this the lady rang me this morning and we had a chat. She's just busy and sounded a little overrun by paperwork. I feel better now. The concerns that others have raised have been that the staff are a bit snippy, don't always know what's gone on with the kids, and it's overcrowded. For example my friend's daughter came home with a big scratch down her face- one of the ladies said she arrived with it but she obviously didn't, and no one seemed to know what happened. That sort of thing. Another example, a friend went to pick up her child and he was wet- one of the ladies said she just didn't have time to sort it out as it had happened a few minutes earlier. I would think the playgroup lady would at least make an effort at helping the kid get into a dry pair of trousers. Anyway I've got my DD signed up for 2 mornings a week- we shall see how it goes. They don't generally mind if you hang around to see how things go so if I have to do that I will. Or make a surprise visit or two.

chickydee Tue 13-Oct-09 07:56:20

Having run a playgroup myself i can tell you that they are most definatley overrun by paperwork and rules and regulation,s which change so so often, you only just get your head round it and they change it, its a nightmare. Also, its definatley possible the wet child had leterally just done it, no excuse, but when you have a few who are just being tiolet trained and they keep wetting their pants it can be hard to moniter constantly.
My suggestion to yiou would be to pop in whenevr you like, they are usually happy to see parents, and also, why not offer to help out once a week? I know we were always very grateful for some free help!!

Hope your dd enjoys it there, its great for them
x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now