Talk

Advanced search

just been for lunch and disputed the bill...

(97 Posts)
thesecondcoming Sun 11-Oct-09 19:05:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

QOD Sun 11-Oct-09 19:08:43

as you did
YOu arent to know - have had similar with pizza hut

ChilloHippi Sun 11-Oct-09 19:09:10

I would have done the same as you.

Mybox Sun 11-Oct-09 19:10:12

yanbu - it's their fault & they should have said it was full size.

FABIsInTraining Sun 11-Oct-09 19:11:52

Surely it says on the menu which options are starters and which are mains?

Did you really say he had fucked up?

bigchris Sun 11-Oct-09 19:14:41

when it came i would have said ' that is a starter isnt it' when i saw the size of it

ThisPhantomPlopsPumpkins Sun 11-Oct-09 19:15:11

YANBU, we often ask for starter sizes for the DC when we eat out, children menus are usually a bit crap.

ThisPhantomPlopsPumpkins Sun 11-Oct-09 19:16:02

totally went off topic there. Did it look like a starter?

Megglevache Sun 11-Oct-09 19:17:29

same as you but I would ve said "is this a starter?" grin and hope dhe was going to say yes!

DailyMailNameChanger Sun 11-Oct-09 19:18:43

bigchris, you could only know you would do that if you had been and had it before - and had both the starter and the main...

I would have done as you did and complained (maybe notthose words though!), although I must admit I would have re-itterated that I wanted starter portions whn I placed the order - you say you asked for them to come together but if you had asked for all starters there would have been no need for that would there?

BrokkenHarted Sun 11-Oct-09 19:21:03

YABU - Did you think at all maybe it wasnt the waiters fault. He may well have said something but just told to shush and go serve it. Waiters are usually told what to say in these desputes. He isnt the boss, it aint up to him. You did eat it - sticky for some restaurants. Swearing at him was what was out of order - not the lack of a tip.

MrsHappy Sun 11-Oct-09 19:25:20

The OP doesn't say she swore at him.

I think it is fair enough to not pay for something you didn't order.

I was once in a restaurant and we were drinking some cheapish white. We asked for another bottle and they bought Sancerre, which we drank - had had a few by then so didn't notice the difference. We certainly did not pay for the unrequested upgrade and were shocked when it appeared on the bill!

bigchris Sun 11-Oct-09 19:32:27

'bigchris, you could only know you would do that if you had been and had it before - and had both the starter and the main...'

well a starter usually comes on a side plate and a main on a dinner plate

Northernlurker Sun 11-Oct-09 19:35:31

I think I'm slightly hmm about you not noticing it was a main course size tbh and you did eat it all and it was good so actually I think you should have paid full price. You were one assumes taking up a table at lunchtime and by demanding a small portion you are effectively attacking their profit margin - so they swallow that ( no pun intended), make an error with the order and you then scoff the lot and make a fuss about the bill. I bet they would happy if you never darkened their door again tbh.

thesecondcoming Sun 11-Oct-09 19:40:10

AnyFuleKno Sun 11-Oct-09 19:43:06

It sounds like maybe you said you wanted starter size, would that be ok? as a preliminary question. Did you definitely say 'starter size xxx' when you ordered the specific items? If not, I think YAB a bit U

DailyMailNameChanger Sun 11-Oct-09 19:44:31

lol - yeah, that is the way all resturants work these days bigchris - none of them use oversized plates or artistic arrangements or anything like that do they? Just plain old regulation size china, yup hmm

ADragonIs4LifeNotJustHalloween Sun 11-Oct-09 19:45:45

I think that unless you said "I'd like a starter sized portion of the risotto" you should bear part of the blame. For all the waiter knew, you could have changed your mind. Also, I think it would have been damn obvious it was a main dish, not a starter portion.

PoisonToadstool Sun 11-Oct-09 19:47:17

How much was the starter portion of risotto?

AnyFuleKno Sun 11-Oct-09 19:47:25

If that is what happened, I probably would have asked for a reduction in the bill, and made a very small tip!

mehdismummy Sun 11-Oct-09 19:48:18

i worked as a manager for a well known pub chain with no music before i left h and so i can see both sides, he should have handled it better and on the tills you should get an option as wether it is a starter or main, but saying that i know how bloody stressful it can be when you are being rammed from all directions so he prob buggered up and would have been given a rollocking from the kitchen as it effects stock as well as profit but these chains make a MASSIVE profit from sales for eg u buy burger meal for a fiver and in reality it only cost about £1.50 to make! you can also get allowances for food so they win big time in the end.

PoisonToadstool Sun 11-Oct-09 19:48:36

Agree that if you didn't specify 'starter sized risotto' that you're at fault.

thesecondcoming Sun 11-Oct-09 19:54:22

nancy75 Sun 11-Oct-09 19:58:50

do they even do risotto as a starter?
my friend used to work in pizza express, if people complained and didnt pay, or did a runner without paying they took the cost of the food out of her minimum wage paypacket.

PoisonToadstool Sun 11-Oct-09 19:59:47

God now you are blaming him for being full?!

You sound really aggressive. I would be a bit miffed if I were you, but I think I would concede that a) yes, I ate it and b) by your admission the food was really good. So I'd cough up and learn a lesson from it.

I wouldn't go back if I were you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now