Talk

Advanced search

To think that exclamation marks are inappropriate in a post title

(15 Posts)
LadyGlencoraPalliser Sun 11-Oct-09 17:50:26

announcing someone's death.
I don't know why people do this. It makes it look as if they find the death of a celebrity/public figure somehow exciting, which I am sure is not the case.

southeastastra Sun 11-Oct-09 17:51:19

shock maybe, doubt people put too much thought into them

purepurple Sun 11-Oct-09 17:52:04

YABU!

JeminTheDungeon Sun 11-Oct-09 17:53:05

Dunno....er....sorry my brain can't even cope with the triviality.....

<excuse unnecessary bitchiness I am due period.

smoking2shoes Sun 11-Oct-09 17:53:56

yabu

BloodRedTulips Sun 11-Oct-09 17:55:38

But no exclamation marks makes it read very deadpan and emotionless... the exclamation marks are apt as their purpose is to signify astonishment or shock and the death of someone very young in the public eye certainly elicits those feelings

PoisonToadstool Sun 11-Oct-09 17:55:42

My god does it really matter to the point of warranting it's own thread?

Are people now allowed to exclaim when it's a death?

YABU and picky.

PoisonToadstool Sun 11-Oct-09 17:56:20

not, not now hmm

purepurple Sun 11-Oct-09 17:56:38

Exclaimation marks can be used to show astonishment.

browntrout Sun 11-Oct-09 18:01:01

OP I do know what you mean. It does look a bit funny and whilst I fully accept that ! represents an exclaimation, it kind of makes it seem a little trivial. However, I think people just use them differently than me. For example, I dont really like people using them after jokes (esp !!!!!!). If it's funny, I'll work it out. I would just use it as I was taught at school - maybe I was taught incorrectly.

LadyGlencoraPalliser Sun 11-Oct-09 18:09:25

Thanks, Browntrout - glad someone understands what I was trying to say here.

DrNortherner Sun 11-Oct-09 18:11:12

I agree with OP actually, I think exclamation marks look odd when takling about a death. Personally I would never use them in this instance.

HeSaysSheSays Sun 11-Oct-09 18:15:53

They indicate more than just excitement, they are used for a whole range of emotions - basically anything that is extreme!

I do understand what you are saying op ut I think YABU on the grounds that you cannot expect everyone to act the same as you or see things the same way as you IYSWIM.

LadyGlencoraPalliser Sun 11-Oct-09 21:24:41

The hell I can't!!!!!!!

Jamieandhismagictorch Sun 11-Oct-09 21:52:22

Whose death are we talking about. A celebrity ?

I agree with you. And you are quite entitled to start a thread on anything you wish to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now