Talk

Advanced search

To expect a new box of jam jars to have lids

(14 Posts)
Fibilou Sat 10-Oct-09 17:39:02

Just got home with a box of 12 8oz jam jars costing £5.49 from Lakeland. The box was sealed and had nothing on it to indicate the lack of lids. I wouldn't mind if they were 3 quid but for nearly 50p per jar I do expect a lid. So now I have to go back into town tomorrow to spend more money out on a bag of lids for the damned things.
Why not just put another pound on the price of the box, put the lids in and be done with it ? Surely nobody wants a jam jar without a lid ?

TeamEdwardTango Sat 10-Oct-09 17:43:51

They have never sold their jars with lids.

Some people prefer to use wax discs and plastic seals with rubber bands.
YABslightlyU grin

bellavita Sat 10-Oct-09 17:46:09

Only if you had ordered them with lids grin

We ordered these from Lakeland and the lids and the waxed discs. They all came separate over a period of about 10 days and all I wanted to do was make the bloody jam.

Fibilou Sat 10-Oct-09 17:50:54

I was going to make some jam tonight (have been given about 12 tons of quinces) but by the time I realised it was too late to go back.

Feel like a child who has had it's toy confiscated grin

TeamEdwardTango Sat 10-Oct-09 17:52:39

Oh quinces!!
Soooooooooo hard to get them here!
Don't make jam, quinces are better in a jelly. grin

Fibilou Sat 10-Oct-09 17:55:43

It's actually quince cheese - the type you serve wtih cheese or meats. I made a big kilner jar this morning and it's looking good
With the amount of the wretched things Dad gave me I could set up a cottage industry grin

Hando Sat 10-Oct-09 17:57:47

What the hell is a quince? Is is like a lychee? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

bellavita Sat 10-Oct-09 18:11:42

I think they may be like a pear?

beaniesinthebucketagain Sat 10-Oct-09 18:14:51

THEY DONT COME WITH LIDS???

feck!!!

Sent dp for some today, ill be off out tomorrow then!

lou031205 Sat 10-Oct-09 18:46:26

Never do.

singleWhiteMale Sun 11-Oct-09 12:53:37

Well, here's Lakeland's description. You know, I don't think they come with lids...

Jam Jars

12 jam jars for preserving. 8oz and 1lb jars. Lids are sold separately. Twist-Off Lids fit these jars.

Lids are not included, however our Twist-Off Lids fit these jars.

PLEASE NOTE: Lids are sold separately

ADragonIs4LifeNotJustHalloween Sun 11-Oct-09 12:57:51

They used to come with lids but haven't for at least a couple of years.

ADragonIs4LifeNotJustHalloween Sun 11-Oct-09 12:59:01

(I can't bear the smell of boiling quinces. I made quince jelly a couple of years ago and had to give away 2/3 of the quinces I had and couldn't face eating the jelly as the smell had made me feel so ill)

blissa Sun 11-Oct-09 13:30:42

I bought the 1lb jars the other day.

It does say on the box that lids are not included, but not in very big letters!

I bought the jam pot covers set, you get 100 wax dics, covers, elastic bands and labels for £3.39

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now