Talk

Advanced search

to think Tesco baby magazine 0-3 months seems rather anti breastfeeding

(39 Posts)
twinsplus3 Sat 10-Oct-09 13:39:05

although there are some helpfull hints : cabbage leaves and drinking a glass of water whilst nursing I felt they were out waighd by the following

- Mums talk, what mums really think about feeding. Not one of the three mums interviewed managed to breast feed for as long as they set out or for 6 mths.
- The idea of keeping a food diary to find out which foods your eating which may be upseting your baby including things such as tea, chocolate shock and a host of veg, seems like hard work.
- That Real mums routines including a mum whos 8 week old sleeps through after a 'dream feed' seems to go against guidlines not to premote formula for under 6 mths.
-Nutrition for new mums suggested waiting for 2 mths b4 trying to lose baby waight and then cuting down to between 1500 and 1800 calories a day (this seemed very low to me given breast feeding is ment to burn up an extra 600 cals a day)

In summery I felt that the mag would encourage women to spend a fortune on breastfeeding accsessories to give it a go and then switch to formula instead, maybe Tesco intention hmm £££££££££££££

twinsplus3 Sat 10-Oct-09 13:46:09

I do realise I was very fortunat to be able to breast feed my son for 13 mths (he was totaly not bothered by the bucket loads of tea and chocolat i consumed smile.
Im looking forward feeding my twins who will be induced if not arrived by 23rd oct and all the extra cake cals I will need for energy grin!
sorry about any sp am dyslexic.

StealthPolarBear Sat 10-Oct-09 13:53:32

well dream feeds don't have to be formula do they?
Apart from that YANBU! I sometimes wonder if this i all a cynical marketing ploy or whether people really do think breastfeeding has to be that complicated. Don't drink/eat onions/wear certain clothes/diet/feed the baby anywhere other than the sofa with 1000 cushions. OK all of those are worth looking at if you have problems but you don't need to expect all that in advance.
(APart from the sofa and cushions one - if you want to )

smallorange Sat 10-Oct-09 14:08:46

Of course it's a cynical marketing ploy- it's tesco's magazine!

WhereYouLeftIt Sat 10-Oct-09 14:11:19

I'm guessing Tesco sells formula.

twinsplus3 Sat 10-Oct-09 14:14:02

Feel silly about the dream feed, i thought it ment something like- caw and gate good night milk - just googled and know now it means feeding baby in sleep in hope they go through night.
Well you learn something new every day thanks SPB. Did you try dream feed , did it work?

IsItMeOr Sat 10-Oct-09 14:14:06

YANBU - I haven't seen it, but it does sound bad from what you've described.

I'm in the "surprised to still find myself breastfeeding at 7 months, as it all sounded a bit tricky, and now have no idea when/how it will stop" camp. Did they have any of those in the mag grin?

twinsplus3 Sat 10-Oct-09 14:16:16

Yes tesco is out to make money but the law is ment to stop premotion of formula. Am of to eat lunch, back later.

twinsplus3 Sat 10-Oct-09 14:19:39

B4 i go, Congrats IIMO! No one in your camp featured in the mag so far as i could see. Thats what go me the lack of balance.

StealthPolarBear Sat 10-Oct-09 14:32:38

i think we tried it with DS but it never really worked out.
yes, you're right, it's cynical marketing ploy, which unfortunately increases the number of people who believe the myths /half truths

Cometrickortreatingwithme Sat 10-Oct-09 14:34:57

I got the teaco catalogue the other day and it is promoting SMA gold.

The heading on the page says
"Feed your baby the healthiest nutrients in our new and in demand handy pack sizes".

StealthPolarBear Sat 10-Oct-09 14:37:07

i assume SMA gold isn't for infants?

Cometrickortreatingwithme Sat 10-Oct-09 14:39:59

SMA gold is from birth SPB.

overmydeadbody Sat 10-Oct-09 14:41:33

Um, the hint is in the fact that it is a supermarket magazine.

It is just another form of advertising.

StealthPolarBear Sat 10-Oct-09 14:42:37

shock
illegal then! needs reporting!

QueenOfFrighteningEveryone Sat 10-Oct-09 14:43:17

Cometrickortreating - that should be reported to Trading Standards/Baby Milk Action.

QueenOfFrighteningEveryone Sat 10-Oct-09 14:45:46

Tesco have recently been in trouble for promotion of SMA 'starter packs' by offering reward points on them.

StealthPolarBear Sat 10-Oct-09 14:47:14

really??

Cometrickortreatingwithme Sat 10-Oct-09 14:48:04

I have just checked on tesco direct and the cat number is now not finding anything.

I think suburbandryad has mentioned it too.

StealthPolarBear Sat 10-Oct-09 14:49:01

very naughty!

QueenOfFrighteningEveryone Sat 10-Oct-09 14:49:51

Yeah. There was a thread about it at the time, will have a look for it now.

twinsplus3 Sat 10-Oct-09 14:53:52

Wow just finished lunch, and this is now on most active! Have to go again as need to pick up some groceries from tesco blush but its my closest shop.

WingedVictory Sat 10-Oct-09 20:47:20

Hi, there.

If you need some redress, here is my experience:

Although it took about 2 weeks to establish breastfeeding (we were in hospital for 1st 5 days with neonatal jaundice, and it was hard work when we came out, etc.), I breastfed for just over a year. It was:

- always there (I was lucky to have a supply that responded to demand! - up or down)
- cheap
- I got into clothes I had not worn since 2 years before DC
- no sterilising
- no washing bottles
- no "oh, no! I've forgotten formula! Quick - get an expensive packet of ready made up stuff, and BUY A NEW BOTTLE to give it in, sterilise it somehow in a restaurant loo...." Ugh.

and so on.

However, I also want to say that I understand not everyone can feed, and not everyone can feed for so long. I myself was entirely bottle-fed, and have an excellent immune system, and an M.A. (so hopefully not thick!), so it is not the end of the world if you can't feed. I just found it incredibly convenient, and was pleased that it also offered DC and me some health benefits. I hope this helps, and that it doesn't make me sound too smug (I am grateful for being this lucky!!

pooexplosions Sat 10-Oct-09 21:01:07

Pretty much everyone can feed, thats not the reason that people don't.

The fact is that formula is the norm sadly and BF'ing is the other option. That needs to be the other way around, but thats not going to happen any time soon.

Tesco want you to spend money on formula. Nobody makes money from high bf rates.

SardineQueen Sat 10-Oct-09 21:07:13

YANBU at all.

If someone had told me I would have to keep a food diary and might not be able to eat some of my favourite foods and what I was eating might upset the baby and it was really hard and most people gave up sooner than they aimed...

Well it's not encourging is it sad

That diet plan sounds ridiculous as well. Everyone knows that you have to keep your strength up while BF wink <munches pies>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now