Talk

Advanced search

or "uptight" by refusing to let the whole street watch our home videos?!

(10 Posts)
onthepier Sat 10-Oct-09 11:28:30

My dd has had her friend round a few times this week, and decided to show her some family videos. I didn't mind, as they're mainly from years ago and include my dd's friend in them. They're birthday parties, trips to the park etc, which they find hilarious to look back on as they were toddlers then, they're 11 and 12 now!

Her friend then said, "Oh my mum would love to see these", and the boys down the road who they go to school with, her neighbour, her dad etc!

Also on these videos though, is my dd and siblings in the bath at various times when they were very young, me singing embarrassing nursery rhymes!, my dd parading in the garden in her nappy on a hot day, the tail end of an argument me and dh were having once when one of the children thought it would be funny to pick up the video recorder, etc!

I've said no to my dd inviting people in to see them other than this friend, she's now sulking saying I'm mean! Our home is generally a bit of an open house, other children coming and going a lot during weekends/holidays, but something makes me uncomfortable about other people watching what I see as "private family time!"

Would be interested to know other's opinions on this.

piscesmoon Sat 10-Oct-09 11:30:36

Just politely tell her that you would rather not and then don't worry about it.

ChunkyMonkeysMum Sat 10-Oct-09 11:34:39

YANBU. I would not like this either. There's only so long your DD can sulk for, don't worry about it.

SolidGhoulBrass Sat 10-Oct-09 12:31:01

If you are on good terms with the mum, is it possible to burn off a copy of the nice bits of the vid (ie the ones of the dds together) and edit out the family rows and clips of you waving your arse at the lens or whatever?
Because the other family probably would love to see the bits of their DD (and not be interested in your squabbles or bathtime fun).
I think YABabitU as it's not that big a deal but at the same time they are your pics and it's up to you.

picmaestress Sat 10-Oct-09 12:43:28

YANBU at all. It wouldn't even be questioned in my house, they're yours, and they're private.

Re-editing and burning it to disk for someone else is a bit much, no?

cat64 Sat 10-Oct-09 13:00:06

Message withdrawn

famishedass Sat 10-Oct-09 13:19:52

YANBU - explain to your dd and her friend that even though they find the video of them toddling around the park when they were 3, other people are not very likely too wink

then say what I say to my 12 year old dd every time she sulks

"go to your room, you can still sulk, just do it in your bedroom instead of down here" grin

freakname Sat 10-Oct-09 13:23:04

YANBU

ramonaquimby Sat 10-Oct-09 13:27:23

doubt very much anyone else besides the kids would want to see them

onthepier Sun 11-Oct-09 18:01:19

Thanks for your posts, have said no to dd and her friend, but said I'd copy the clips of the two of them on to a disc so her friend can show her parents. My dd's friend protested that her parents would want to see ALL the videos and could we copy them all, but I've been firm and said no!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now