Talk

Advanced search

to be miffed with the lollypop lady?

(11 Posts)
adamadamum Fri 09-Oct-09 23:24:21

I'm on my own with two kids. Son is 5, at our local school, daughter is 6 with special needs, so has transport to her school (black cab)
Three times since start of this term, transport has been late due to traffic (plus they also pick up another kid before mine)

I Can't take son to school until my daughter has been collected of course.

On those occasions when they were late they kindly offered to give us a lift down the road - we would be late otherwise (My son's school is rather strict regarding punctuality) We were in the cab for probably one minute, enough to stop my son being late.

This has happened three times since beginning of term in September.

Yesterday our driver told us they couldn't give us a lift again no matter how late they arrive as they had been reported for taking a fare whilst taking the kids to school shock

The lollypop "lady" is proud to report the most minor thing to the police to the extent that mums in cars feel like just one inch closer, even though in the legal area to stop, she will report them anyway. She loves reporting to authourities, she talks about it all the time...

Well anyway, there has been nobody else who could have even seen us getting out of the cab (well out of the way of the school but within her sight)

There's no-one else likely to have been so petty minded.

Now, My son may be penalised at least on paper, for not being punctual at times, when my daughter's transport is delayed, something I have no control over...

Knickers0nMahead Fri 09-Oct-09 23:26:24

YANBU but I think you should explain to ds's school the situation.

InMyLittleHead Fri 09-Oct-09 23:29:10

Well if it is her she sounds like a loser of epic proportions. I don't know what you can do about it except confront her and say something like 'By the way, thanks so much for making the lives of me and my children even more difficult and complicated just to satisfy your own pathetic need for the approval of the authorities. We really needed that.'

Northernlurker Fri 09-Oct-09 23:30:30

You don't know it was the lollipop lady at all. It could have been anyone in that area. It may not have happened at all but the driver was worried that it would and wanted to put you off without having to tell you so. Inform your son's school that you cannot get him there on time on occasion. End of problem.

IMoveTheStarsForNoOne Fri 09-Oct-09 23:33:05

Oh FFS, Jobsworth bloody attitude. Grr.

Ask her outright, rather than stewing about it. The school will understand if you explain your situation.

wheredidiputmyfone Fri 09-Oct-09 23:35:47

Y might be BU, I can't see what evidence you have that she's reported you to the authorities. She likes people to think she's got some kind of power by reporting people, that doesn't mean it was her. It could have been another taxi driver/fare that was reported and not even you?

Doodlez Fri 09-Oct-09 23:39:42

Christ, I'd tread very carefully with this. I'd want actual proof before I said owt to anyone. The cab comapny might be blagging you for all you know.

YANBU for feeling miffed, however.

Can you not make a private deal with the taxi firm - put the arrnagement on a proper, formal footing so to speak? Sharing cabs is not illegal but with prior agreement, you're covered.

JustAnotherManicMummy Fri 09-Oct-09 23:40:57

You don't know it was the lollipop lady.

I would however, see if I could sort something out with whoever arranges the transport for your DD as although the driver has been reported as taking a fare he wasn't taking one was he? And your previous arrangement seems perfectly sensible in the circumstances.

And if it was this lollipop lady, the best revenge you could have would be to be hopping out of the cab right next to her... all with permission.

I'm assuming of course you didn't give him 50p for dropping you down the road...

diddl Sun 11-Oct-09 21:16:44

Could it be that the other child in the cab has said something?

I don´t know how these arrangements work, or who pays,but if I was the parent of the other child I might not be pleased if I thought the cab driver wasn´t just transporting my child and another as he was being paid to.

paisleyleaf Sun 11-Oct-09 21:21:45

I was thinking the other child too

smoking2shoes Sun 11-Oct-09 21:30:33

most likely the taxi driver found out he was breaking the rules and used it as an excuse

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now