Advanced search

To think that GP in his early 60's should know what to do with a pg lady with high bp?!!

(13 Posts)
corblimeymadam Fri 09-Oct-09 19:34:29

Message withdrawn

Firawla Fri 09-Oct-09 19:45:08

yanbu!! how can he not know anything about pre eclamsia it is quite common!
if he doesn't know what to do, can you call antenatal clinic in your hospital and see if you can go in to see someone there? maybe call up the day assessment unit or something? (i was sent there for monitoring when i had high bp in previous pregnancy they can just keep you a few hours and check bp regularly to see if you're okay?)

call your midwife, thats terrible! oh and complain too, if he doesnt know, he should go and find someone that does!

corblimeymadam Fri 09-Oct-09 20:16:55

Message withdrawn

i do think you need to get rechecked, i was admitted countless times with High BP with dd1, and was always told any swelling and headaches i had to go in, and any number over 90 was a auto admit for me

artichokes Fri 09-Oct-09 20:25:59

Call the clinic now. You may be fine but I was admitted with the same BP reading and puffiness. Tests showed pre-e and I was induced.

hatwoman Fri 09-Oct-09 20:31:16

I would seriously complain about that. totally out of order.I could possibly forgive a gp who said "I don't know much about x, so I'm just going to consult with my colleague (ie NOW)" but to tell you to come back next week is just not on.

corblimeymadam Fri 09-Oct-09 20:55:15

Message withdrawn

how did it go?

sausagemonstermash Sat 10-Oct-09 13:02:27

Hey Belgian - I had my dd at Kings - first rate - they have a drop in antenatal clinic there, take your notes, and they will see you really quickly - I went in when the random mw I saw at 28 weeks couldn't hear my baby's heartbeat.... they were lovely, and the heartbeat whooshed away perfectly!

And also, my GP was in his 60s and a bit funny too! Good luck smile - let us know how you got on!

reikizen Sat 10-Oct-09 13:04:56

Sorry to say GPs are notorious for missing signs and symptoms of pre-eclampsia. A good argument for seeing a specialist (midwife or obstetrician) for anything preg related imo.

jybay Sat 10-Oct-09 18:50:28

YANBU - that sounds bizarre. Was he a regular doctor at the Practice? GPs don't do much regular antenatal care any more but, even so, we always have the option of ringing an obstetrician for advice if we're a bit rusty (and I find it hard to believe any GP would be that rusty!).

I would write to the practice manager to highlight this (doesn't have to be a formal complaint unless you want to go down that route). If it was my practice I would want to know this had happened.

corblimeymadam Sun 11-Oct-09 08:10:36

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now