Talk

Advanced search

to wonder how you get to be heavily pregnant without having heard of induction?

(8 Posts)
LissyGlitter Thu 08-Oct-09 22:13:29

We went on our hospital tour the other day, and as we entered the special induction room, the tour guide woman said "I presume your midwives have mentioned that, if you go past your due date, we will try and bring labour on?" and the other women all looked alarmed and shook their heads! They were all at the "waddling" stage, so surely must have at least read one of those leaflets you get bombarded with?

nancy75 Thu 08-Oct-09 22:15:46

nobody ever mentioned induction to me and dd was 11 days late. in fact i never saw the same midwife twice and when i read pregnancy threads on here i have no idea what most of them are going on about because none of it was ever mentioned ! anything i knew was from books i got myself.

Meglet Thu 08-Oct-09 22:17:56

How odd.

By about 2 months pregnant I had read 3 books and every bit of info the midwife gave me. I knew I didn't want to be induced that's for sure.

LissyGlitter Thu 08-Oct-09 22:18:29

Yeah, I think most stuff I know I found out myself from books, asking people and the internet and so on, but I was just shocked that you would get so far on without even having heard of the concept! I buried my head in the sand a bit about DDs birth, but I at least had a vague idea of some of the things that could happen.

Sassybeast Thu 08-Oct-09 22:21:42

I would suspect that at least some of them were horrified at the assumption from any midwife that they were all a bunch of sheep who would all be herded into a ward 14 days past their due date and have unnatural things done to them hmm

I'd have replied 'I assume you as a midwife will know that each pregnancy is different and IF medically indicated I might be prepared to DISCUSS induction.' wink

LissyGlitter Thu 08-Oct-09 22:25:16

lol sassy, I'm a medically needed repeat section, so I just felt smug for a bit (until the bit where we got to the birth pool, where I got really jealous, and then we got to the theatre, where I apparently went white!)

LynetteScavo Thu 08-Oct-09 22:32:31

I knew about induction...but only form books (Miriam Stoppard? grin)

Teh forst time induction was actually mentioned to me whas when I went to the GP for last check uip before I was due.

I can't remember NCT or NHS calsses covering induction. NHS ones must have, surely! hmm

BLEEPyouYOUbleepingBLEEP Thu 08-Oct-09 23:01:02

I think I only caught on to what induction was was when DD was quite a way past her DD (she was 16 days over when she was born by CS!). I didn't do any classes, did have a Miriam Stoppard book though, obviously must have skipped through that bit smile

I really didn't have a clue, and to be honest, I didn't really spend too much time thinking about how she was going to get out lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now