Talk

Advanced search

to not see what's wrong with having lettuce with beans on toast

(37 Posts)
emkana Thu 08-Oct-09 19:20:54

Dd2 was asked to design a healthy meal in school today, so she did baked beans with bread and lettuce. While certainly not the most inspired choice of the century hmm I don't see anything wrong with it, but according to her teacher you just wouln't have lettuce with it? Why ever not?

EccentricaGallumbats Thu 08-Oct-09 19:22:20

the lettuce would go all warm and floppy.
apart from that nothing.

Lilyloooohhhh Thu 08-Oct-09 19:23:37

warm and wet lettuce ?

TheHeadlessWombat Thu 08-Oct-09 19:23:43

Well I certainly wouldn't have them on the same plate.

FranklyIDontGiveAMam Thu 08-Oct-09 19:24:06

coz her teacher is an unimaginative idiot. Actually, to be honest I quite fancy it right now. A bit of added texture to the beans.

Carb, protien, veg/pulses and salad. I reckon she got it spot on.

FranklyIDontGiveAMam Thu 08-Oct-09 19:25:09

I prefer warm and wet lettuce to cold fridged lettuce in those awful sandwiches that you buy from the supermarket.

FranklyIDontGiveAMam Thu 08-Oct-09 19:25:43

My DH learnt long before we got married, that I don't eat fridged lettuce!!

overmydeadbody Thu 08-Oct-09 19:25:54

Well, nothing wrong with it in theory, but a bit odd. Lettuce is mostly just water so the menu is still lacking somewhat grin

Your D should have stated that the lettuce would be served seperately, as a starter, before the beans on toast!

emkana Thu 08-Oct-09 19:26:30

I think it would be possible to keep the beans and the lettuce seperate on the plate no?

overmydeadbody Thu 08-Oct-09 19:27:42

And no offence to your DD or anything, but if I had set my pupils that task I would want them to put a leeetle bit more effort and imagination into it than that.

emkana Thu 08-Oct-09 19:33:24

thanks for that overmydeadbody I will pass it on hmm

baked beans are her favourite food and she is only just six, and she was asked to choose an item from all the food groups which she did, so I can't really fault her for that.

BloodshotEyeballs Thu 08-Oct-09 19:36:39

DH puts cherry tomatoes on his fish and chips. I'm open to any culinary weirdness after that.

overmydeadbody Thu 08-Oct-09 20:06:29

Ah, she's only 6! In that case emkana, I take back what I said! grin Lay off the hmm faces. Maybe the tacher just has a phobia of lettuce?

fishie Thu 08-Oct-09 20:08:19

let us put it in terms of bruschetta with cannelini and lettuce. could charge £8 for that.

Trikken Thu 08-Oct-09 20:22:46

so, not imaginative but i bet it was bloody delicious.

emkana Thu 08-Oct-09 20:26:30

but overmydeadbody I like the hmm

hmm hmm hmm

grin

devilsadvocaat Thu 08-Oct-09 20:28:57

ahhh...

but COLD heinz beans on salad is really really nice.

try it.

overmydeadbody Thu 08-Oct-09 21:00:13

but fishie does it have a drizzle of balsamic and olive oil over it? COz I'm not paying £8 unless I have balsamic dressing <<hrmph>>

pointyhat Thu 08-Oct-09 21:16:31

I think it would be horrid but I would not expect a 6 yr old to have a detailed knowledge of what makes up a good plate of food so teh teacher should have reisited commenting.

choccyp1g Thu 08-Oct-09 21:20:49

Baked beans - protein , carbohydrate, fibre, and those new things that we all need that comes in tomato sauce
Toast - carbs, fibre(if brown), folic acid,
Butter - fat (omegas?)
Lettuce - lots of fibre, and the green vitamins (and some other chemical that makes you sleep)

Sounds pretty healthy to me.

PoisonToadstool Thu 08-Oct-09 21:21:16

It does sound a bit horrid, but I am not a fan of beans anyway, so take the lettuce away and it still sounds horrid to me

Think the teacher was being really harsh though, it's not the strangest food combo anyone could come up with.

pointyhat Thu 08-Oct-09 21:21:27

of course it's healthy. It doesn't go, that's the problem.

spicybingowings Thu 08-Oct-09 21:21:58

Lettuce with hot food is nice! as long as you just put it together as you eat it, not dump the hot food on top of the lettuce - that would be nasty.

So I like the idea of beans on toast and lettuce and it's fairly well balanced - fibre, carbs, protein etc.

I think the teacher shouldn't have commented.

choccyp1g Thu 08-Oct-09 21:23:27

But she wasn't asked for a meal that "goes", she was asked to design a healthy meal. Anyway, it's largely culture and habit that says what foods should go together. My friend in Turkey eats tomatoes for breakfast [yuck]

pointyhat Thu 08-Oct-09 21:27:54

Yes, choccy, I said the teacher shouildn't have commented.

And I doubt that anyone, no matter what nationality, would say baked beans and lettuce was an acceptable combination.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now