Talk

Advanced search

Why does my opposite neighbour park outside MY house and not on his drive?

(30 Posts)
RealityBites Thu 08-Oct-09 13:51:54

Message withdrawn

eandh Thu 08-Oct-09 13:56:30

no I have complete sympathy, family who live opposite have 3 cars and the son is v.precious baout his car (cleans it almost daily and spends £'ssss doing stuff to it) however he parks it right outside our house every day (we paid to have our garden converted into a drive with drop kerb etc so normally park on our drive but where he parks means its a nightmare to get on and off) if I am feeling in a particulary narky mood (ie pmt or kids driving me mad) I park on the road where he parks just so I don't have to see his car out of my window all evening, I can practically see him panicing over where he will put his car when he gets home (oh and before I get loads of YABU we have a spare parking space around the back and we have offered him the use of it several times but he likes to be able to see his car at all times)

llareggub Thu 08-Oct-09 13:58:05

Park on his drive instead.

Ivykaty44 Thu 08-Oct-09 13:58:23

but he likes to be able to see his car at all times - sad.......

FABIsInTraining Thu 08-Oct-09 13:58:52

To protect his drive?

KnickersandVests Thu 08-Oct-09 13:59:54

Because he likes looking into your windows and.....seeing you

eandh Thu 08-Oct-09 14:00:13

iVY I know it is he is quite young (around 19/20) but a bit of a geek iygwim and v.v.v protective of his car hmm

edam Thu 08-Oct-09 14:01:22

I'd ask him, very politely, why he parks there. In a 'I'm just curious about this' manner. Because it is odd. Maybe he doesn't realise that it makes it very tricky for you to get in or out of your drive - you could gently warn him that it reduces your visibility so you sometimes find it difficult to avoid scraping his car...

RealityBites Thu 08-Oct-09 14:01:40

Message withdrawn

BiteOfFun Thu 08-Oct-09 14:02:55

Reality's drive is a deathtrap- this I can verify. Not to be negotiated pissed. Walking, obviously. Driving pissed is Not A Good Thing anyway.

RealityBites Thu 08-Oct-09 14:02:57

Message withdrawn

RealityBites Thu 08-Oct-09 14:03:58

Message withdrawn

StealthPolarBear Thu 08-Oct-09 14:06:05

it is odd, why would he? Surely if you have a drive that's where you put your car - makes it easy to get in and out of it, defrost it when it's icy and pack and unpack it!

FABIsInTraining Thu 08-Oct-09 14:06:14

We have a neighbour who seems unable to drive 3 metres further down to park and seems to prefer to park right opposite our drive. He drives like a twat though so I am not surprised. Another one who didn't take the hint.

KnickersandVests Thu 08-Oct-09 14:08:34

Get a big pack of chalk and next time it's dry weather and he's not there chalk out in big letters-

INCONSIDERATE ARSEHOLES PARK HERE

See if he takes the hint then.

RealityBites Thu 08-Oct-09 14:09:09

Message withdrawn

mosschops30 Thu 08-Oct-09 14:09:15

You could do what everyone does in our street, which is becoming a nightmare for parking.

We all now strategically park where we know other people will park if we dont, e.g.

my neighbour doesnt park on her drive but a little further across so no-one else parks there and blocks view from her window

my friend parks hers similarly

I park mine at end of drive where kerb drops down, as if I dont some other fucker will and then we cant get 2 cars in. So I park there every day leaving my drive free for dh when he comes home at 7pm.

There is a family with 6 kids on our street, who now all drive, and park anywhere and everywhere, we've had some big rows about it, the last one with me leaving my car blocking their drive, I told them I had and said 'oh its not in the way is it, just ask me to move it if you need to get out, is that ok'
Message got through, they no longer block my driveway.

Sadly there are now 5 people in the street we dont speak to due to parking disputes!

RealityBites Thu 08-Oct-09 14:09:54

Message withdrawn

CarGirl Thu 08-Oct-09 14:10:25

Why don't you start parking outside your house all the time? Sounds less hassle than using your drive tbh

RealityBites Thu 08-Oct-09 14:10:31

Message withdrawn

chattermouse Thu 08-Oct-09 14:10:58

YANBU.

If you do not want to speak to him about it then it would be an idea to either a)start parking your own car in his chosen 'space', or b) start parking outside his house. Hopefully either way he will get the message that you do not want his car outside your house. Follow option a) or b) for about 3-4 months i reckon.

RealityBites Thu 08-Oct-09 14:11:19

Message withdrawn

BiteOfFun Thu 08-Oct-09 14:11:27

You need to buy a cheap scooter and park it permanently in just that spot. He won't be able to put his car there, there will still be room for you to see and move the car in and out, and you can dress up as Penelope Pitstop as often as you like. I am a genius.

RealityBites Thu 08-Oct-09 14:12:41

Message withdrawn

rimmer08 Fri 09-Oct-09 10:19:33

you are definately NOT bu!! i live in a street that branches off into a cul-de-sac. one of the tossders that lives up it has started parking in front of my house. yes i do have a driveway but for FECKS SAKE why dont they park outside their own house? they have room and they cannot even see thier car from where they park it. I am going to ut a snotty letter on their car next time they do it. PS i think they only have 1 car so why they park there i dont know

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now