Talk

Advanced search

to not want dh to go get Tamiflu at this time of night?

(21 Posts)
Monsterspam Wed 07-Oct-09 23:59:12

Ok, might have Swine Flu - Cold/cough/aches/temperature for last 5 days. Now have a pain in chest (mainly in my back, under left shoulder blade). Have done online assessment and rang the helpline and they have given me an authorisation no. for Tamiflu.

I have no sickness or diarrhoea (but never get them - iron stomach!) and am thinking that maybe I'm just being a hypochondriac.

The Primary Care Centre is 10m away and dh wants to go now. What should I do?

famishedass Thu 08-Oct-09 00:00:51

He should go and get it. Take one dose before bed and one as soon as you get up. The sooner your illness is over the better.

Hope you feel better soon.

Monsterspam Thu 08-Oct-09 00:03:10

Thanks, shall send him on his merry way.

PoppyIsApain Thu 08-Oct-09 00:03:14

let him go NOW, bless him he's trying to look after you smile hope you feel better soon

JodieO Thu 08-Oct-09 00:04:30

I wouldn't take it at all. Side effects are awful and only shortens it by about half a day...

Claire2009 Thu 08-Oct-09 00:06:07

Let him go and get it. Hope you feel better soon

6feetundertheGroundhogs Thu 08-Oct-09 00:07:12

Let him go, he'll feel all manly and good about it. Bless him. Big brownie points!

Get Well soon eh?

Monsterspam Thu 08-Oct-09 00:07:30

Thanks all, have sent him.

Do they just presume you have it then? Don't test you or anything?

Monsterspam Thu 08-Oct-09 00:08:49

grin @ 6feet. Ta me dear.

famishedass Thu 08-Oct-09 00:11:16

I got given Tamiflu for my 3 kids. You just fill in the check list online and they give you a code. The only real way to find out if someone has swine flu is (i guess) by sending a blood sample to the lab. So I think this is the Department of Healths way of containing the problem.

I personally think this government has done a good job of containing swine flu and I'm no fan of this government.

Did your dh remember to take his and your passports with him?

The tamiflu was really good. Kids were ill for about 4 days with the tamiflu. Probably would have been ill for a week otherwise. Hard to say really.

seeker Thu 08-Oct-09 00:11:40

It only works if it's taken within 48 hours of the symptoms showing. So I wouldn't bother. You've had it for 5 days - it'll be gone in another two whether it's swine fl or any other sort of flu.

JodieO Thu 08-Oct-09 00:17:00

It doesn't shorten the illness by 3 days at all, it would be yuor body doing that not the tamiflu. Seriously, I wouldn't give it to any of my three children or myself, it doesn't even help if they have asthma for instance as it doesn't stop the flu going deeper into the lungs. Newer research has shown that. Definitely wouldn't let partner drive a 20 mile round trip for something that is crap, you know the side effects I pressume?

Monsterspam Thu 08-Oct-09 00:17:09

Ah, good point seeker - cheers.

Famished - yep, reminded him 3 times!

Monsterspam Thu 08-Oct-09 00:23:35

Bugger. Was told the Walk In Centre was 24 hours - he just rang to say the Tamiflu people left at Midnight. FFS! angry

Monsterspam Thu 08-Oct-09 00:25:29

Sorry Jodie I missed your post. Haven't researched it yet - what are the side effects?

jasper Thu 08-Oct-09 00:34:55

Tell us more about how you feel.
I am curious.
How did they make the diagnosis?

Monsterspam Thu 08-Oct-09 00:43:00

Loads of questions, mainly about;
- Aches and Pains
- Cough
- Cold
- Headaches
- Temperature over 38
- breathlessness
- Sickness and diarrhoea (don't have)

From my answers they gave me an authorisation code for Tamiflu.

Don't know what to do know. Do I go to work tomorrow? Do I take DD to school?

Monsterspam Thu 08-Oct-09 00:44:49

now not know (duh)

jasper Thu 08-Oct-09 00:53:33

I don't know!

I a very confused about this whole swine flu thing.
I looked up the symptoms a few weeks ago when feeling pretty unwell and ticked most of the boxes .

However I did not feel any different from the usual yucky viral / heavy cold thing I get every few years.
I do wonder whether the gov. are using a sledgehammer to crack a nut.
I hope you feel better soon

celticlass Thu 08-Oct-09 02:23:17

If i were you i would ask for zanamivir,also known as Relenza. It's been proven to work against all cases of swine flu,whereas tamiflu only works in 0.4 % of swine flu cases.

Monsterspam Thu 08-Oct-09 08:02:08

Thanks guys

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now