Talk

Advanced search

to not want to show prospective buyers around my rented home?

(70 Posts)
SoonToBeHomeless Wed 07-Oct-09 22:58:50

When the agents (they are selling it as well as renting it to me) call to arrange a viewing they keep asking if I will be able to show the buyers round hmm.

When they rang again yesterday to arrange a viewing, I said it would be fine but that I would be out. The woman said 'oh so you won't be there to show them round' and I said it is hardly of benefit to me to show people round when the outcome will be that I will get kicked out if they decide to buy it hmm. Why should I spend my time doing the agents job??

AIBU to be cross or is this the done thing?

I don't want to move (again!!) and am a single mother with 3 kids (recently made redundant so on benefits) and now have the headache of trying to find a new place that will take HB, not having a deposit (as it could take up to 2 weeks for them to return the one I paid on this house) and am also bankrupt so I am unlikely to pass any credit scoring!!

plantsitter Wed 07-Oct-09 23:02:10

YA definitely NBU! What a horrible situation. I bet the estate agents don't check their info and think you are the vendor when you speak to them. I would just say you can't show people round. You have to give access to people by arrangement but you don't have to host them!!

Firawla Wed 07-Oct-09 23:11:23

yanbu, tell them if they can not show them around themselves then you won't allow the viewing. its only the agents you have to give access to, not any random person from the street. why can't the estate agents do their own job?? lazy!

TheCrackFox Wed 07-Oct-09 23:12:52

YANBU but look at it another way - this is your big chance of scuppering any sale. Make sure the house is really messy, if you can engineer a toddler tantrum even better. Any sewage works, red light districts, abbatoirs around that aren't mentioned in the schedule? Point out any cracks, shoddy workmanship, damp that would otherwise go unnoticed. Are the schools crap, if so make sure you mention that. Are you friendly with the neighbours? If so get them to play some Drum and Bass and ear splitting volume whenever you have a viewing.

The list is endless really.

It is amazing that Estate Agents get paid by commission but expect someone else to earn it for them.

mamas12 Wed 07-Oct-09 23:15:34

Crack tha't brilliant , was just about to suggest some sabotage.

thesecondcoming Wed 07-Oct-09 23:16:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

retiredgoth2 Wed 07-Oct-09 23:16:57

...I imagine that they think you are the owner.

They should phone you to inform you someone is coming of course, and to make sure it isn't too inconvenient, but apart from that it is not your responsibility. Of course it isn't.

...has this happened more than once? Once would be a forgivable oversight, more than that is poor business, and I imagine your landlord (who ultimately is paying these people) wouldn't be too chuffed either...

Ewe Wed 07-Oct-09 23:17:56

YANBU

I was asked to do this at old place, thought it was incredibly lazy and unprofessional. And told them so grin.

paisleyleaf Wed 07-Oct-09 23:18:11

Sounds like a plan

skymoo Wed 07-Oct-09 23:19:04

Definately not! We were renting and the agent put the house on the market the day after she came over under the pretence of looking at all the problems, damp, carpets in poor condition etc - the next day we had a letter giving us our notice to get out as the house was for sale! Bitch even came and took photos and put them on the web without mentioning it to me first.

I have very bad feelings about estate agents as you can imagine...don't do them any favours whatsoever - they couldn't give a toss about you, so why bother

retiredgoth2 Wed 07-Oct-09 23:19:37

...good post Crack Fox!

You could cook something noxious a few hours before, too.

I suggest smoked haddock.

And leave the remnants on the side in the kitchen...

TheCrackFox Wed 07-Oct-09 23:20:32

Any incontinent pets? Borrow one if possible.

valhala Wed 07-Oct-09 23:23:59

Apparently liver and garlic cake, which you make as a treat for dogs, smells pretty bad when cooking too...

Everyone got there before me, but I would be mentioning the noise, the unpleasant neighbours and, if the viewers have kids, how awful the local schools are and how glad you'll be to get away from them... that despite a fantastic Ofsted bullying is rife and the kids manners and behaviour abominable...

lockets Wed 07-Oct-09 23:24:46

Message withdrawn

1dilemma Wed 07-Oct-09 23:27:58

YANBU

agree with others

don't tidy
strew some rubbish about
just some low level general stuff
take out lightbulbs to make place look dark

expatinscotland Wed 07-Oct-09 23:29:45

Go see a homelessness officer at your local council NOW. They have to serve you proper notice to get you out.

lockets Wed 07-Oct-09 23:29:48

Message withdrawn

SoonToBeHomeless Wed 07-Oct-09 23:39:02

Oh thanks all. Just wanted to make sure I was'nt BU as I have not been in this situ before and was worrying that the agents may give me a bad reference for not doing it!

I have not been given notice as of yet as I understand that the landlord wants to find a buyer first. Although I do think it's rather bad form to sell a property with a tenant still in it - obviously no consideration for the tenants privacy and comfort [hmmm]!

I actually would have preferred that they gave me notice before it went on the market as at least I would have known where I was so to speak but I will not move out until I am as it's too much to think about until it actually happens.

Have spoken to the council and they have said that until I am served with a Section 21, they will not be able to advise me so it's all up in the air until then sad.

NadiaWadia Thu 08-Oct-09 00:04:25

You do know that you don't HAVE to allow viewings, don't you? Whilst you are renting it is your home, you are paying for the privilege of living there, and why should you put yourself out for viewers when it is going against your own interests?

And if you are nice enough to do so, it should be on your terms, like for instance only allowings viewings at one set time a week. I hope the agents are giving you at least 24 hours notice each time as required by law. Sometimes tenants have even negotiated a rent reduction in return for their co-operation.

Of course if you refuse viewings altogether, the landlords might give you notice, but this would have to be 2 months from a rent day(say if you pay your rent on the 1st of the month, they now can't give you notice until 1 November, to leave on 1 January. Would that give you enough time to find somewhere else?

I am really sorry you are in this horrible situation. I really recommend you ring Shelter on 0808 800 4444. Sometimes it takes a while to get through, but they are the experts and I have found them to be really brilliant and helpful

NadiaWadia Thu 08-Oct-09 00:38:16

Way too many 'really's in that last paragraph. blush

Why is there no edit facility? ...

hatwoman Thu 08-Oct-09 00:48:11

nadia - rental contracts usually include clauses that mean tenants do have to allow viewings (with various provisos including adequate notice). but they certainly don't have to show people around.

tripe cake (another dog treat) is another good one for foul stench. it's unspeakable.

NadiaWadia Thu 08-Oct-09 01:24:00

hatwoman .. yeah I've got that in my contract too, but I have since read in many places (like LandlordZone and moneysavingexpert.com), that the tenant's right to 'quiet enjoyment' in law overrides whatever the contract says.

smokinaces Thu 08-Oct-09 08:37:49

soontobe, fill in all the forms to go on the council housing register now - you can go on even with no points. Then when you get your notice it will just be amending your application and having your homeless interviews, which will make the process a lot quicker.

Hope it goes smoothly for you - there should be no reason for the council to turn you down when you have your notice for priority points (young children, homeless through no fault of own, unable to privately rent again) so then its just down to pot luck with your council and housing stock allocations.

fluffles Thu 08-Oct-09 08:42:14

i DO NOT agree that you should sabotage the sale - your landlord may need to sell in order to get the money, you don't know the circumstances, if the sale doesn't happen then the house may be repossessed anyway and you'll get evicted anyway. if the landlord wants/needs to sell they are not going to change their mind.

however, you need to contact the landlord or letting agent and say that you WILL NOT do showings. there should be no problem for the agent to bring people round while you're out and do the showing (it's what they're paid for!). i bet your landlord would be furious if she/he knew that the agent wasn't doing the showing properly.

LoveBeingAMummy Thu 08-Oct-09 08:44:11

Its not your job to show them round. Go to the cab.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now