Talk

Advanced search

to think the PTA discussing school plans at 8pm in a pub is a bit unfair

(53 Posts)
sarah293 Wed 07-Oct-09 17:52:14

Message withdrawn

deaddei Wed 07-Oct-09 17:55:16

But when's a good time? Ours holds meetings at 6.30- not ideal for tea/bedtime- if they're held in school time, working mums can't go.
Can you get a copy of the agenda and make your comments known?

itsmeolord Wed 07-Oct-09 17:55:57

pta is just an excuse for bored mums to go out and gossip round our way. they don't actually do anything. grin

YAB a little unreasonable, i suspect it is at that time so that the husbands/partners can have the kids whilst they go out. Some might work during the day maybe?

TheFallenMadonna Wed 07-Oct-09 17:56:40

If it were during the day, most of our PTA (including DH) wouldn't be able to go because they would be at work. Our committee arranges its meetings to suit its active members. Ask why your PTA meets at the time it does.

Hassled Wed 07-Oct-09 17:56:44

Yes and no. Yes, it's unfair because it's not inclusive for those who can't go out in the evening.

However, it is inclusive for those who are at work/with preschool children all day but still want to be involved with the PTA. Turnout is usually better if we hold meetings in the pub and in the evenings (in our PTA we've tried everything humanly possible), people are more relaxed and it usually works well. But you can't please all of the people all of the time.

ChasingSquirrels Wed 07-Oct-09 17:57:16

as pp said - every time has it's difficulties for someone.

Ours are usually 7.30pm - and are often held at my house (I volunteer the venue because as a single parent it is easier than arranging a babysitter).

PandaG Wed 07-Oct-09 17:57:41

Our PTA never meets in a pub (may go there for a drink afterwards!) as we don't want to exclude people who for whatever reason won't go into a pub.

we usually meet in the evening, to allow working parents to attend, but questionnaired parents to see if people were put off by evening meetings. A few people said they would prefer them in the day, so we did alternate day/evening for a while, but no-one new came to the daytime meetings so we still do the majority in the evening.

Could you let chair know you would like ot get involved but cannot make evening meetings, or could you send your opinions onpaper to the meeting?

Notquitegrownup Wed 07-Oct-09 17:57:55

Ours always meets at 8pm but we've chosen not to go to the pub, in case it excludes muslim parents. smile Just interested - are we being oversensitive?

You could always suggest an extra coffee morning to talk over the same ideas - our PTA is always desparate for support and would probably welcome someone who would suggest/drum up support for a second round of discussion.

EccentricaGallumbats Wed 07-Oct-09 17:58:23

Can you suggest staggering the meetings?

our PTA did alternate aftenoons before pickup time and evenings, for a god excuse to go out for a glass or two.

I wonder if the core people (chair, secretary, treasurer) work during the day? that may be why they do evening ones.

Notquitegrownup Wed 07-Oct-09 17:58:35

<Quick Hijack> Hello PandaG!

mumblechum Wed 07-Oct-09 17:59:09

Ours always met in the pub at 8 ish and it was fine, dh stayed in with the boys.

I can see how it would be a prob for single parents, but if they're during the day, working parents (which are the majority), can't attend.

mice Wed 07-Oct-09 17:59:13

Our PTA meetings were always in the evenings as it meant people who worked during the day could come - we got more dads - and on the whole more people had childcare as husband/wife/partner/friend could look after the kids.
PTA meetings don't really work when there are toddlers around which happens a lot during the day - and usually some of the teachers are there - who obviously are working during the day!!
Someone is always going to feel excluded unfortunately - can they cot alternate meetings between evening and day?

PandaG Wed 07-Oct-09 17:59:26

hello NQGU <waves!>

sarah293 Wed 07-Oct-09 17:59:59

Message withdrawn

mumblechum Wed 07-Oct-09 18:01:27

Riven, why can't your dh or your teenagers mind dd?

Hassled Wed 07-Oct-09 18:01:39

Riven, you could maybe see if there is an email circulation list - a lot of our PTA stuff/decision-making/dealing out of jobs is done via email, and everyone interested is automatically copied in. At least you'll know what's going on and have the chance to comment.

deaddei Wed 07-Oct-09 18:02:13

Ooh are they CONTROVERSIAL opinions Riven? Do tell grin

sarah293 Wed 07-Oct-09 18:03:24

Message withdrawn

EldonAve Wed 07-Oct-09 18:04:23

Seems normal to me
If you want an alternative venue can they use the school or someone's house?

sarah293 Wed 07-Oct-09 18:05:06

Message withdrawn

Tortington Wed 07-Oct-09 18:05:35

i think its very bad practice. someone for instance who is Muslim may find this particularly excluding and offensive.

for equality purposes alone i think that RIven...you should nail them to the fucking wall

sarah293 Wed 07-Oct-09 18:06:38

Message withdrawn

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 07-Oct-09 18:08:43

Message withdrawn

Tortington Wed 07-Oct-09 18:09:46

yeah but 'cos you don't mind is so not the point. its tactless and thoughtless and is definatley not best practice.

i think if you wrote a letter saying the same they would shit their pants

deaddei Wed 07-Oct-09 18:10:05

Totally agree Riven- we had similar parking problem with stupid selfish parents going over pavements to park, when they could have used the church carpark up the road. We got the police out a few odd mornings/afternoons and that helped a bit.
Can't see a reason why school wouldn't fundraise for hospice- though normally PTA money buys things for the school rather than charity. That normally comes via a heads fundraising initiative (at our schools anyway ) Good luck!!!
And definitely no Boden grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now