Talk

Advanced search

To think that advert creators must think we are stupid with the comments made??

(107 Posts)
TheLadyEvenstar Wed 07-Oct-09 01:19:33

for example

Because accidents sometimes happen when we don't expect it....errrr yes thats why they are accidents ---we don't plan to fall, crash, slip etc

You can laugh with tena lady - why can we I have never heard one tell a joke yet!!

Red Bull makes you fly - errrr ok so I will grow wings will i? don;t be thinking so

Always with wings now you can ride a horse/swim/climb (delete as appropriate) Damn these are good shit cos I couldn't fcuking rock climb or ride a horse before!!!!

I want to do a poo in pauls bathroom - yeah cos you at the age of 5 are able to hold your poo in pack your rucksack and travel to ya mates house cos he has an air freshner hmmm ok oh and will someone gag that kid??????

Which adverts do you find irritating???

DippyFarquhar Wed 07-Oct-09 01:23:35

If I was Paul's Mum that kid would get a swift boot in the backpack and be told to shove off back to his own house.

TheLadyEvenstar Wed 07-Oct-09 01:27:37

Dippy oh yes and a sock in his mouth just to shut him up please "But I want to do a poo at pauls house"

No you whingy brat we have a perfectly good bog upstairs use it or don't but pauls mother said you can't use hers...

BooingTheBestICan Wed 07-Oct-09 08:03:18

Oh i hate that advert,

'oh your shirt looks like a menu,how am i going to get these stains out'?

I hate those dubbed adverts & refuse to buy any of the products they advertise on principal.

Oh & i really hate the bio oil advert.

potoftea Wed 07-Oct-09 09:31:44

There's one to remind you to check your smoke alarms regularly. (Yes I do know it's an important message).

I find it really off because it's a child speaking about how Mommy loved her jewelery, Daddy loved his car, but I don't think they loved me. I guess because they kept those things safe and didn't keep her safe.
But if anyone watching it has lost a child in a house fire it must be so upsetting. I just find it so horrible a message, that a dead child is thinking her parents didn't love her because they didn't do their best to save her from house fires.

TheLadyEvenstar Wed 07-Oct-09 09:53:50

and the one about kill your speed not a child, that is horrible. the dead child laying on the floor in the park etc freaks me out and i don't even drive!

charis Wed 07-Oct-09 09:59:14

The ones meant to scare you into compliance are terrible. Have they even done a study on whether you are more likely to check your smoke alarms if you get horror movie ads over a simple "Have you remembered to check your smoke alarms in the last six months"?

ABetaDad Wed 07-Oct-09 10:04:03

Advertisers dont actually put these words in adverts aimed at men but they might as well say:

"Oy! Yes you! Lazy, feckless, stupid, car obsesessed, sport obsessed, sex obsessed man. Buy this!

It is a relentless, boring, annoying theme.

Here is some free advice to advertisers who want to advertise to men.

DONT assume I will buy your product if you put an attractive women in the advert to stroke a manly torso, tousel some manly hair, swoon at a manly smell, gasp at a manly car, or simper at faux manly idiocy.

DO assume I want to be told what the product does (e.g Ronseal), want to be inspired (Honda), made to laugh (comparethemarket.com).

GRRRRRRrrrrrr! angry

TheLadyEvenstar Wed 07-Oct-09 10:06:07

LOL ABetaDad does this mean seeing scantily clad women on lynx adverts doesn't make you rush out and buy it??

mayorquimby Wed 07-Oct-09 10:36:27

yabu but only because the first ad you complain about it being too literal and spelling out the obvious, while for the red bull ad you are giving out because it's not literal and obviously won't make you fly.
although i agree all shit ads.

ABetaDad Wed 07-Oct-09 10:47:34

TheLadyEvenstar - the Lynx advert drives me utterly bonkers for that very reason.

TheLadyEvenstar Wed 07-Oct-09 10:59:32

Oh AbetaDad I am disappointed lol...thought those adverts were meant to get men hot under the collar and convinced that all women would fall at their feet lol....DP says the same as you though/

jemart Thu 08-Oct-09 00:10:41

I thought fragrance ads like Lynx et al were actually aimed at women - Mums, Wives and girlfriends buy this stuff for the Men? I know I do.

jemart Thu 08-Oct-09 00:11:50

Yanbu - all advertising is tosh.

jasper Thu 08-Oct-09 00:14:35

yanbu , but remember, lots of people ARE stupid

girlsyearapart Thu 08-Oct-09 07:46:23

saw that title and the first thing I thought of was the 'I want to do a poo at Paul's house' HATE IT SOOOOOO MUCH.

Makes me want to scream.

Ditto nearly every advert on Milkshake.

MmeGoblindt Thu 08-Oct-09 07:53:29

There is one at the moment, I think it is about organ donation or perhaps giving blood?. The guy pacing the hospital floor, his wife seriously ill in the room behind him.

I wonder why they did it like that. It does not make me want to rush out and sign up.

They could make such fantastic ads for things like this, showing the positive side of organ donation, the stories like Misdee and Peter's new life. Why try to share the shit of people.

squeaver Thu 08-Oct-09 07:57:16

Lynx is aimed at 12 - 15 year old boys.

That's not you ABD is it?

ILikeToQuickstepItTangoIt Thu 08-Oct-09 07:57:55

Have a happy period. Always.

That advert really, really pisses me off.

Of course, using that towel/panty liner is going to make my period a happy few days.

Cometrickortreatingwithme Thu 08-Oct-09 08:13:33

Bio oil I hate it a woman stood talking about how her scar makes her feel ugly and less of a woman.
My DD has a scar on her nose and is just becoming aware of it. I hate that bloody advert.

ABetaDad Thu 08-Oct-09 09:00:11

squeaver - Lynx is aimed at 12 - 15 yr old lads but it used to be "The Great Smell of Brut" in my day. grin

Is there an equivalent to the Lynx advert for teenage girls now?

It is the imagery in the Lynx Bullet "Pocket Pulling Power" TV advert that dismays me. The young women in the latest advert are all walking down the street/shopping in their underwear as the young man looks on.

As a father to two DSs who are not yet teenagers I just wonder what chance I have in trying to explain how real relationships work. Boring old Dad telling them about respecting girls while there will be adverts on TV telling them to wear a certain deoderant/clothing/hair gel so that girls take their clothes off. hmm

GetOrfMoiLand Thu 08-Oct-09 09:06:12

One of my all time hated adverts seems to have disappeared now - the Brita filter one where two strangely Stepford like people walked around with their transparent cup and saucer, getting all multi-orgasmic at their cup of tea which had no limescale film on it.

I used to hate that. My hate vibes must have worked because I haven't seen it for ages.

Those two daft bints who advertise shampoo for Loreal (Doetzen Kroes and Laetitia Casta - how and why do I know their bloody names?) always make me want to scream.

Any Morrisons advert. Especially any with Richard Hammond in.

MmeGoblindt Thu 08-Oct-09 09:08:11

Gerroff
I like Richard Hammond but the ads are dire. You would have thought they could have come up with something a bit witty.

My first crush wore Lynx Alaska. <nostalgic>

You smelt him before you saw him.

MmeGoblindt Thu 08-Oct-09 09:08:47

oops, GetOf not Gerroff.

Sorry.

JulesJules Thu 08-Oct-09 09:13:23

Have a Happy Period

ARGHHHH

FFS who thought up that one?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now