Talk

Advanced search

Lunatic and absent mums at swimming lessons

(104 Posts)
Kerrymumbles Tue 06-Oct-09 17:35:12

Ok so i know how we all love swimming lessons with the kiddies....

So there's hmmm, 7 showers and about 35 kids getting out of swimming lessons at the same time. so the lucky ones get in there first and the rest of them stand there freezing. Now a few of the kids are good, in and out but the rest will stand in there for 10 minutes while everyone else freezes?

Where are their parents you may ask? Who knows? And yeah, they're about 4-10 years of age most of them being 5-6. So maybe, just maybe you think their parents would be there with them to make sure they have shampoo, wash and GET OUT.

So anyway ds2 is FREEZING and standing there for 10 minutes I start knocking on shower doors. Come on, hurry up now, there's others waiting. Mind you these are doors with NO parents about. Finally he gets a shower.

So I'm leaving the pool and this lunatic who i've never seen before says, EXCUSE ME!!!??? were you knocking on the doors telling kids to get out?

and I said, no, I was knocking on doors asking kids to please hurry as there were others waiting.

WELL HOW DARE YOU. YOU SCARED MY KIDS, THEY CAME RUNNING TO ME SCARED.

They most certainly did not, I replied as NO ONE left the showers when I knocked.

And then she starts off like a raging lunatic and I said, whatever and walked away

and she's yapping and frothing at the mouth saying I'm going ot make a complaint about you. I'M GOING TO COMPLAIN ABOUT YOU. And I just start laughing at her and then the poor guy cleaning the floors she starts screaming at him, I'M COMPLAINING ABOUT HER and the guy looks at her like she's from Mars or something...

ffs.

Kerrymumbles Tue 06-Oct-09 17:38:19

and she's ranting about how they weren't in there for 10 minutes and I said to her. How on earth do you know that? YOU WEREN'T THERE? Why don't you try MINDING your children so nasty women don't knock on the doors....

SixtyFootDoll Tue 06-Oct-09 17:38:37

I dont shower DS after lessons for pprecisely this reason
I shower him at home
Used to wind me up all the girls taking forever to wash their hair whilst their Mums were sat around chatting oblivious.

HKT Tue 06-Oct-09 17:40:50

sixtyfootdoll - I do this too! I just wrap them up and get them dressed - life's too short to wait for a shower at the pool

ADragonIs4LifeNotJustHalloween Tue 06-Oct-09 17:41:16

Another non showerer here but the chlorine doesn't affect any of our skin (skins?)

screamingskull Tue 06-Oct-09 17:44:01

ha ha well done Kerrymumbles, hopefully teach her to come to showers next time.

Also good on you for not rising to her tirade.

Kerrymumbles Tue 06-Oct-09 17:44:08

maybe i'm going to have to start doing that then....

It just pisses me off mightily and then all the other mums are watching this lunatic ranting at me.

Hulababy Tue 06-Oct-09 17:47:13

DD's class never manages to be the first one out. There is always a queue by the time we get there. If I have time I give her a towel to keep warm and then she waits til she can go in. She does have to wash and condition her hair though, so takes a few minutes but she does it as quick as she can. I am there to ensure that.

But otherwise she gets dressed and dried. Like this weekend - she has tp be at school for open day 30 minutes after lesson finishes. So will be out of pool, dried and dressed, and go.

Northernlurker Tue 06-Oct-09 17:47:33

I wouldn't be pleased if someone told my child to hurry up so their child could shower. I think frothing at the mouth is a bit strong but I assume the child came and told her you were knocking on doors etc and that lit her blue touchpaper. It would light mine at the end of a long and tiring day because it does rather make me think who the hell do you think you are? She doesn't know they were in there for 10 minutes, she doesn't know your poor ds was shivering. All she knows is that you bothered her kids and that awakes the mummy tiger within grin

She's probably at home now gibbering about how she lost it with a woman at the swimming pool....

StewieGriffinsMom Tue 06-Oct-09 17:49:42

Message withdrawn

freename Tue 06-Oct-09 17:52:10

O COME ON! These are the same mums that let their kids run riot in pizza restaurants!

MuttOfTheBaskervilles Tue 06-Oct-09 17:52:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

franklymydear Tue 06-Oct-09 17:54:02

maybe the other mums thought you were out of order too?

stuffitllllama Tue 06-Oct-09 17:55:27

she's noxious

yanbu

bigchris Tue 06-Oct-09 17:55:45

Hulababy - polite question but why cant dd wash and condition her hair at home?

BiteOfFun Tue 06-Oct-09 17:59:32

You were in no way out of order- the woman sounds deranged, and like one of those nightmare parents who thinks the sun shines out of their kids' arses and that teachers who shout are child abusers etc. We are all going to hell in a handcart because of people like her.

MummyDoIt Tue 06-Oct-09 18:05:46

Shower them at home and avoid the hassle.

Now my own particular swimming rant is about the mum who spent 10 minutes of my kids' lesson talking about her little darlings after they'd finished theirs. If she needs to spend that long talking to the teacher, can't she do it in the time she's paid for and not mine? Okay, rant over. As you were.

Homebird8 Tue 06-Oct-09 18:08:27

Showers with doors? shock

Hulababy Tue 06-Oct-09 18:08:38

bigvhis - just saves the hassle really, esp if going out and about. Already wet so easier to do it there, rather than having to have a shower and do it at night. Also, her hair goes quite dry and horrid is not conditioned, so if out and about that day - or like this week just gone, going to a party not long after - makes more sense to do it after swimming, than her having to have knotted hair at the party.

IWantCleanCarpets Tue 06-Oct-09 18:10:42

As others have said don't bother with the shower, just get dressed and go home.

PoisonToadstool Tue 06-Oct-09 18:12:44

She sounds mad. YANBU.

freename Tue 06-Oct-09 18:13:09

Mummy surely it's up to the teacher to clockwatch his/her lessons? You are well within your rights to ask for a 10 min extension. That's how I'd go about it.

Kerrymumbles Tue 06-Oct-09 18:18:06

here's the thing. all the mums who were there - their kids were in and out. All the mums who weren't there (who knows where the hell they were) their kids took forever.

I don't think young kids should be left unattended like that in the mad rush and everything.

And she said to me. And this is what actually pissed me off....

She said,

Whoever gets there first is lucky. Everyone else just has to wait and it's tough.

Kerrymumbles Tue 06-Oct-09 18:19:00

oh i hate that as well mummydoit.

BiteOfFun Tue 06-Oct-09 18:21:23

shock

How can they take so long to shower? Same sense of entitlement as their parents, clearly...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now