Talk

Advanced search

to think Cbeebies should use children who can actually sing in tune?

(28 Posts)
LilyBolero Tue 06-Oct-09 09:22:51

The 'Twinkle Twinkle' link is driving me nuts - it is droned in almost a monotone, when the child actually does start differentiating pitch they are about a third below the actual melody.

Given that many small children can and do sing in tune, couldn't they have chosen one who does? It drives me mad, especially when my kids start singing along but imitating the monotone pitches instead of the actual melody. angry

bumpybecky Tue 06-Oct-09 09:28:22

I'm listening to that right now and YANBU not at all - it's shock bad!

LilyBolero Tue 06-Oct-09 09:29:41

It is bad isn't it! And so many children don't drone in a tuneless monotone!

ilovesprouts Tue 06-Oct-09 09:32:15

yabu ,they are kids ,not katherine jenkins wink

LilyBolero Tue 06-Oct-09 09:34:05

I don't want katherine sodding jenkins, just some semblance at melody that doesn't make me want to wrench the fuse out of the tv to stop the noise!! wink

Of course YABU, but I know what you mean.

Sunfleurs Tue 06-Oct-09 09:36:10

grin YANBU.

ilovesprouts Tue 06-Oct-09 09:36:14

turn over then !!

KEAWYED Tue 06-Oct-09 09:36:18

I cant stand the singing on the green balloon club makes me shudder and reach for the control

mrseverton Tue 06-Oct-09 09:37:34

Noddy is the same- completely tone deaf!

YANBU we need x factor style auditions for cbeebies tunes- i hopw Simon Cowell is reading!

KEAWYED Tue 06-Oct-09 09:38:30

Meant to say YANBU

LilyBolero Tue 06-Oct-09 09:40:30

It's just a simple thing - some children can sing in tune, some can't. So use a child who CAN.

Oh, and this ad on now reminds me, that new programme 'I can cook' - the singing by that woman defies belief - SO bad. Especially the bit with the guitar. It's the wrong chords, and the wrong tune. Musical nonsense!

On a serious note, kids learn to pitch by imitation, so it's actually quite important that they do HEAR correct pitches, not some producer's idea of 'cute' singing from a tone deaf child.

But I can't sing - does that mean I shouldn't sing to my DS?

In fairness, I think the answer to that is probably yes blush grin

waitingforbedtime Tue 06-Oct-09 09:46:07

YABU theyre just kids, isnt that kinda the point?

However, that new 'I can cook' programme should NOT include songs, the presenter (adult) cannot sing and it hurts my ears.

LilyBolero Tue 06-Oct-09 10:43:51

but some kids CAN sing, so why not just choose one who can, and let the children watching hear some proper notes!

ElecTrickorTreatElephant - of course you should sing to your child. But perhaps you shouldn't be broadcast on a national tv channel.

Miggsie Tue 06-Oct-09 10:45:12

...and that goes for the presenters, have you heard that woman on the new "I can cook"...yes, but you can't sing, or play the guitar either.

Yeuch!

LilyBolero Tue 06-Oct-09 10:45:55

Miggsie, read down a bit further!!! grin

edam Tue 06-Oct-09 10:47:57

I used to sing to ds when he was a baby. He was so used to my (terrible) voice that he would tell Daddy to hush - actually objected to hearing someone who can hold a tune. grin

Sadly he worked it out by the time he was two-ish so roles are reversed. Maybe I should try singing for the tone deaf classes - only I don't think I could stand hearing everyone else!

pigletmania Tue 06-Oct-09 11:05:46

YABU they are only kids not Charlotte Church or Aled Jones, awww bless them.

JemL Tue 06-Oct-09 12:45:02

YABU.

WHether children can sing in tune or not, listening to them do it is generally irritating, unless it is your own, and then it is of course the sweetest sound imaginable!!

NaccetyMac Tue 06-Oct-09 12:56:53

Children nowadays tend to be able to sing less well than in days of yore, because they don't do it enough. So YANBU, they need a good model. smile

nickytwotimes Tue 06-Oct-09 13:01:05

Yanbu.

Don't get me started on Lily ROse from the Green Balloon Club.
She must be the producer's/director's/someone on the team's kid.
I am sure she is a delightful child, but she can neither sing nor act bless her.

Lexilicious Tue 06-Oct-09 13:12:16

YANBU. Heard this for the first time on Sunday when at a friend's house (have no tv here, use iplayer etc). 'Dear god why can't they sing it in tune, what a crap example to set' was my first thought.

However just thinking about it some more, I don't think all TV singing should be perfect. When there are programmes with a gaggle of 'real' children all singing along (like they used to do in Sesame Street) all abilities should be represented otherwise less tuneful kids could feel inhibited if they realise they're not 'as good'. Maybe that applies when older and more self-aware, I don't really know. Strongly feel that shows like x-factor shouldn't be the formative experience of what an acceptable reaction to crap singing is, though. Also the reason that even tone-deaf mummies should sing to babies. <off to warble at 9wk ds now...>

hairygodmother Tue 06-Oct-09 13:24:51

SO glad I'm not alone, my first reaction on hearing that advert was exactly the same, why on EARTH couldn't they get someone who could sing in tune? My 18 month old does a better version than that (actually she does it brilliantly, is she a child prodigy?!). YAdefNBU. I agree that not everyone can sing in tune, but of course if it's being broadcast on national tv then some attempt at accuracy should really be expected.

And agree re Lily Rose too - she must be the producer's daughter was pretty much exactly what I thought. Why hasn't she learned to look at the camera yet?

Glitterknickaz Tue 06-Oct-09 13:38:53

I'm tone deaf... I really can't sing in tune.
This however is DIRE.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now