Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think argos should not do this

(20 Posts)
Tiredmumno1 Mon 05-Oct-09 19:22:10

well argos have an item in their clearance for just under a tenner, but it is out of stock everywhere. this item is also in their catalogue under a different item number but its the same product and they are are charging just over 20 for it, but they have it in stock at the full price, i am a bit confused. are they allowed to advertise the same product twice with different prices????

FantasticMissFox Mon 05-Oct-09 19:23:49

Isn't that illegal??

Pumpkinbummum Mon 05-Oct-09 19:24:40

I've seen this with argos before, no answers to your question though

Tiredmumno1 Mon 05-Oct-09 19:29:20

thats what i wondered fantastic. and thanks pumpkin lol

seeyounexttuesday Mon 05-Oct-09 19:31:22

phone trading standards to ask their advice on such things. Or telephone head office saying you are aware of whats going on and that you intend to persue it.

Bet you get it at the price you wanted.

Firawla Mon 05-Oct-09 19:32:14

are you sure there is no difference at all between the two products? maybe there is a slightttt tiny difference and that's how they got around it? cos i wouldnt think they'll put exact same one twice, seems weird

I've seen this before too, they do it all the time, their 'promotion' is never available.
I have seen loads of threads on ehre of people asking others to check online stock at their local stores.
Argos, for example, are twats.

not sure about legality but contact trading standards with printouts, they might be able to do something. Or you could try emailing head office and complaining.

Tiredmumno1 Mon 05-Oct-09 19:34:23

yeah i had thought of that seeyounexttuesday, think i will print it off first so i have proof, i cannot believe how cheeky they are, i feel like checking all the others now lol

MuttOfTheBaskervilles Mon 05-Oct-09 19:36:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tiredmumno1 Mon 05-Oct-09 19:42:54

dont know how to do links yet (whoops) but the item numbers are 369/9401 and 388/0461

littleducks Mon 05-Oct-09 19:46:24

i contacted trading standards when index did this a few years ago, had advertised a food processor at £9.99 but were actually selling it under a different number for much more

One call from trading standards and i got it for £9.99

QOD Mon 05-Oct-09 19:47:11

exact same pic but one says chad valley and one metro city - worra flubbin liberty!

5Foot5 Mon 05-Oct-09 19:51:20

Wow that's shocking! They have given them slightly different names but it is clearly still the same product.

Definitely contact trading standards

MuttOfTheBaskervilles Mon 05-Oct-09 19:56:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tiredmumno1 Mon 05-Oct-09 20:07:03

i will report them, and i have mailed argos to complain

Tee2072 Mon 05-Oct-09 20:09:04

Hmm, the cheaper one also has this note on the bottom:

* Please note item 3699401 has previously been on sale at £12.59.

And the more expensive version says:

This item is excluded from the 30 day money back guarantee. See the Additional Information panel for full details. Please note that this product is excluded from our 30 Day Money Back Guarantee. This does not affect your statutory rights.

Definitely suspicious all the way around...

Cometrickortreatingwithme Mon 05-Oct-09 20:16:31

Just checked my local store more expensive one in stock one on offer not in stock hmm.

BloodRedTulips Mon 05-Oct-09 20:20:38

i've had the opposite, i've gone in to order an item from the catalogue, checked the sale mag and not found it, ordered it anyway and discovered it was actually dicounted but not advertised in the sale catalogue.

has happened 3 times...

Hulababy Mon 05-Oct-09 20:24:14

Vertbaudet often does this too. Have items in both sale and non sale areas. To be fair, the sale item is normally available, but if you manage to click on the non sale one instead it doesn't give you the discount automatically. Naughty.

losingtheplotthisweek Mon 05-Oct-09 21:43:41

Argos also have fab sale on beds until tomorrow...except that none of the half price beds are in stock. Chap I spoke to on the phone yesterday explained they should be back in stock on Wednesday hmm. Was advised to ring tomorrow and if not in stock then to 'have a moan'! Am pretty peeved by the whole thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now