Talk

Advanced search

To think this is a sh*tty way to welcome a toddler?

(30 Posts)
LimburgseVlaai Mon 05-Oct-09 14:50:04

Dropped dd2 (age 2.6) off at nursery this morning.

Nursery worker: "Hello [dd], are you going to be a good girl and not pull any children off their bikes today?"

Background: On Friday, dd had to be told off for doing just this to another child while trying to get hold of a toy. I explained to her that it was not kind to snatch toys, that she had to ask nicely for a turn, etc. Forgot all about it over the weekend.

Until this morning!

AIBU or is this a shitty way to greet a toddler back after the weekend?

I am not at my best in the mornings so I just goggled at her. But now... but now... GRRRR angry

dd loves going to nursery, BTW. She was not at all bothered.

AddictedtoCrunchies Mon 05-Oct-09 14:53:33

I would be the same as you and would have had to make a comment. Pff.

BLEEPyouYOUbleepingBLEEP Mon 05-Oct-09 14:54:01

YANBU - it's how labels stick to children if the nursery workers are going to start associating your DD with pulling other children off their bikes. She's only two bless her, she just wanted a go on a bike ffs smile

Bessie123 Mon 05-Oct-09 14:54:35

nursery worker sounds horrible.

Geocentric Mon 05-Oct-09 14:56:24

YANBU, I hate labelling!!! And anyway, with such a young child what is even the point in bringing it up again after a whole weekend has gone by??!!

changer22 Mon 05-Oct-09 14:56:42

Complain.

Curiousmama Mon 05-Oct-09 14:56:45

what a cow angry I'd have a word with the leader if I were you, very bad form.

Foxy800 Mon 05-Oct-09 14:57:48

THat sounds awful, I as a parent would not have been happy at all.

I am also a nursery worker and would never dream off talking to a child like that!!! U could have had the worlds worst day with a child but they should always be treated the same as everyone else!!!

LimburgseVlaai Mon 05-Oct-09 14:58:20

Funny thing is, she (nursery worker) is normally really nice. Maybe she was having a funny turn.

It's really setting someone up for failure though isn't it??

LimburgseVlaai Mon 05-Oct-09 15:01:53

... and I get the impression that dd is popular - plus this was the first time I had ever been told that she had been told off.

I am thinking of complaining to the manager but would not want to be known as a difficult mum/whiney bitch/whatever.

Curiousmama Mon 05-Oct-09 15:04:28

Is there any way you could help out one day? See what she's like?

Jamieandhismagictorch Mon 05-Oct-09 15:05:14

YANBU.

groundhogs Mon 05-Oct-09 15:22:59

Hmm, yep that's not right.... I'd recommend that you get DD out of earshot and just softly mention that you didn't think the greeting appropriate.

Say that you were surprised as it was so uncharacteristic of her, and that everyone has their odd moments, but that you felt you had to chat to her about it.

Softly softly, it needs addressing, but not too overboard. If, as you say, she's normally OK, then bit of latitude, but it must be brought up.

LimburgseVlaai Mon 05-Oct-09 15:58:59

Thank you for your opinions/support - off to get dd soon, will have quiet word if opportunity offers.

ChilloHippi Mon 05-Oct-09 16:13:43

YANBU. I firmly believe in new day= new start. Her approach would not work at all with my DS as she would have put the idea in his head to do it by mentioning it again.

Foxy800 Mon 05-Oct-09 16:56:39

HOw did you get on today?

Did you get a chance to have a chat?

colditz Mon 05-Oct-09 17:04:52

How rude.

pointydoug Mon 05-Oct-09 17:21:00

It's not great but it's really no big deal. I'd put it into perspective.

starwhores Mon 05-Oct-09 17:22:59

I thought the OP read to become a toddler!

Why do some people become nursery workers?

bigchris Mon 05-Oct-09 17:29:15

agree with pointydog

Pyrocanthus Mon 05-Oct-09 17:44:44

YANBU. She probably blurted out the first thing that came into her head, but not fair.

FABIsInTraining Mon 05-Oct-09 17:47:36

It is sad that in trying to stand up for our kids we are worried about being labelled nuisances, etc.

janess404 Mon 05-Oct-09 21:24:45

should of told her to go fuck herself

stealthsquiggle Mon 05-Oct-09 21:32:54

I went ballistic when a nursery worker referred to DS as a 'biter' - after he had bitten once, about 9 months beforehand, and been bitten a damn sight more times. I cannot stand people who label toddlers like that.

onepieceoflollipop Mon 05-Oct-09 21:33:47

That's rather harsh and uncalled for (imo) Janess404. What would you do if something really terrible happened?

I would second what groundhogs has said, i.e. mention it but in a friendly, low key way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now